Эл. №ФС77-60625 от 20.01.2015
Ағылшын тілі пәнінен сабақ. Тақырыбы: "Extreme adjectives and modifiers"
Extreme adjectives and modifiers
The plan of the lesson
Grade: 10 B
Lesson theme: Extreme adjectives and modifiers
The aim of the lesson:
1. Educational: to learn lexical minimum and to use it in practice.
2. Developing: to develop students’ habits in understanding, listening and oral speech.
3. Bringing-up: to develop communication on foreign language connecting with culture and society.
Demonstrative material: CDs, tables, cards, pictures, interactive board, semantic map.
The type of the lesson: practical
The form of the lesson: mixed
Method of the lesson: group method of training, pair works
Expected results: Students are to remember extreme adjectives and modifiers
and use them in oral speech.
Teacher: U.K. Sassenova
Procedure of the lesson:
Teacher greets students.
1.2 Checking home task
Exercise 7 b, c Modal verbs
Everywhere you can see some signs with prohibition, permission or obligation. Choose the suitable sentences to the pictures:
1. You can wash your hands here. (picture B)
2. You have to turn off your phone in here. (picture A)
3. Great you don’t have to pay. (picture C)
4. Sorry you can’t go on this ride. (picture F)
5. You mustn’t leave your seat yet. (picture E)
6. You must be over 18 to get in. (picture D)
Exercise 7 c
2. Listen everybody- you can finish your project by next week. No excuses!
3. Your computer’s broken? Don’t worry-you can use mine.
4. It’s Alina’s birthday on Friday. I must remember to buy a present for her.
5. This is an exam, so sorry-mustn’t use your dictionary.
6. If you got all of this exercises correct, you don’t have to do the homework – you can relax instead.
1.3 Warm - up activity
Associations with the word “Radio” Do you like listening to the radio?
What do you listen to the radio?
For example: weather forecast,…
II. Realization of meaning
Task: Find the adjectives from the radio show and mark them in your paper.
2. Explaining the new theme using pictures.
In the pictures you can see some adjectives. They are extreme adjectives, for example: if it’s very, very, very hot we use extreme adjective: boiling. And so on.
3. Brainstorming activity Work with cards
Today we’ll work in groups. The group is subdivided into two sub groups.
The clever students and quick--witted students
Work with cards.
Task : Complete the short dialogues with the words in the box and role-play the dialogue with your partner.
Answers: fantastic, enormous, awful, boiling, exhausted, tiny, starving, hilarious, freezing, fascinating
1. A: My dog is too small and cute. B: Small? She’s …
2. A: Was it hot in Australia? B: Yes, it was! In fact, it was …
3. A: This is a good song. B: Yes, it’s …
4. A; Is it cold outside? B: it’s …
5. A: Is her new flat big? B: It certainly is. In fact it’s …
6. A: Are you still feeling bad? B: Yes, I feel really…
7. A: He is so funny! B: I know. He is …
8. A: Are you hungry? B: I’m …
9. A: What an interesting story! B: Yes, it was …
10. A: I think, they’re tired. B: Tired? They’re …
4. Semantic map
Task: Match the adjectives 1-10 with the extreme adjectives a-j. Draw the lines from adjective to the suitable extreme adjective.
1. big a great/fantastic/wonderful/excellent
2. small b. enormous/huge
3. tired c. boiling
4. hot d. exhausted
5. cold e. tiny
6. good f. starving
7. hungry g. awful/terrible
8. bad h. fascinating
9. interesting i. hilarious
10. funny j. freezing
5. Explaining the students, that adjectives can have more or less of a quality can be modified with very or really, but extreme adjectives are modified with really or absolutely.
The rule: Words like huge, fantastic and awful are sometimes called limit or extreme adjectives. Normally, extreme adjectives are not used with very, instead we use adverbs such as really or absolutely, e.g. it’s absolutely awful not it’s very awful.
Most extreme adjectives have an equivalent adjective, a scale adjective, which can be modified with very. For example very, very big = huge.
Scale adjectives , e.g. Big, hungry, etc. can be modified with very and really.
Task: The students tick or cross the correct or incorrect combinations in the box.
Really good v very good v absolutely good x
Really great v very great x absolutely great v
Really hot v very hot v absolutely hot x
Really boiling v very boiling x absolutely boiling v
6. Let’s play the game “Hot chair” Who wants to sit on this hot chair? Take the card and use the necessary adjective.
The rule of the game: if you are right you may sit on the hot chair, if you are wrong you must leave the hot chair.
Answers: 1. (boiling), 2. (hungry), 3. (exhausted), 4. (tiny/small), 5. (cold),
6. (fantastic), 7. (bad/awful/terrible), 8. (funny)
At the reflection stage the following types of work done: analysis, creative working, and interpretation of obtained information. The work is conducted individually, in pairs or in groups.
Task: Work with your partner. Talk about these topics using the vocabulary
from exercise 8.
films you’ve seen holidays you’ve been
books you’ve read websites you’ve used
IV. Feed back
Do you like this lesson or not? Why?
Write your opinion in your paper
V. Assessment Marks
How can you assess your work? If you think everything was perfect, choose the happy smile. If you suppose that you have worked not very well, - sad smile.
And hang them on the board.
VI. Home task. Do in writing exercises 4 (a, b) and 5 b from Work book.
Our lesson is over. You are free. See you on Wednesday!
- Просмотры: 198
- Просмотры: 168
- Просмотры: 148
- Просмотры: 165
- Просмотры: 184
- Просмотры: 314
- Просмотры: 146