См. Приложение 3 (Appendix 3 The Attractions of Moscow)
( Интернет ресурсы http://www.norvica.ru/eng_cities/mow/sightseeing)
The Attractions of Moscow
The Kremlin at the center of Moscow is an outstanding historical and architectural monument that serves as a symbol for the whole Russia. The Moscow Kremlin that originally was made of wood was mentioned in the chronicles in 1156 as "Moscow fortress". At that time it occupied only the south-western part of the Borovitsky Hill.
On the territory of the Kremlin there are 5 beautiful Cathedrals built in 15 - 17th centuries (Archangel Cathedral, Cathedral of Annunciation, Cathedral of Dormition, Patriarch's Palace, Cathedral of the Twelve Apostles and Church of the Deposition of the Robe), the tourists can see here Tzar Bell and Tzar Cannon, State Kremlin Palace, Senate building, Arsenal and other palaces.
Also in the Kremlin the tourists can visit the Armory Chamber with greatest collection of Russian Tzar dynasty's belongings and Diamond Fund.
Red Square is a large open square in the center of Moscow. It is located in front of the Kremlin's western wall. The square is fenced in the State Historical Museum building, the GUM building, and St. Basil Cathedral. For many centuries Red Square has served as the place for important historical events. Red Square was founded at the end of the 15th century.
At the end of the 19th century the look of Red Square changed noticeably. In 1875-1881 on the site of Zemsky Department the Historical Museum was put up. It was designed by architect V. Sherwood. In 1889-1893 the building of the Upper trade rows that nowadays houses the GUM department store was put up to A. Pomerantsev's design. These buildings were constructed in pseudo-Russian style to match the walls and towers of the Kremlin.
In 1924 the wooden Mausoleum designed by architect A. Shchusev was put up on Red Square. It became the burial place of Vladimir Lenin. In 1929-1930 the Mausoleum was rebuilt in stone, and in 1930-1931 the rostrums above the Mausoleum were constructed after architect V. Frantsuz's design. Along the Kremlin walls the fir-trees were planted, and Red Square that used to be cobbled was covered with cubes.
St. Basil Cathedral is one of the most outstanding monuments of Old Russian architecture. In the 16th century the tourists admired the beauty of the cathedral, and for the Russians it became the symbol of native history and culture. St. Basil Cathedral is a symmetrical architectural ensemble consisting of eight chapels surrounding the ninth one.
The Cathedral of the Intercession (the Pokrovsky Cathedral), more known as the Cathedral of St. Basil the Blessed, is situated on the Red Square. It was built in 1555 - 1557. The sections of the museum demonstrate the arms of newly formed regular Russian army of the 16 - 17th centuries. In the restored interiors of the Cathedral towers - churches are exhibited the ancient Russian icons of the 15 - 16th centuries. There are excellent works of applied art executed by Russian masters of the 16 - 17th centuries: artistic embroidery, fabrics, wonderful specimens of metalwork.
The main religious attraction of Moscow is the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. On December 25, 1812 Russian Emperor Alexander I signed an order, according to which it was supposed to build a temple dedicated to Russia's victory over Napoleon in Moscow. The new temple was to symbolize the feat of Russian people.
The Novodevichy Convent, located in the south-west of Moscow, is an outstanding monument of architecture of the 16th-17th centuries. The most attractive construction of the Novodevichy Convent ensemble is the Smolensky Cathedral, or the Cathedral of Our Lady of Smolensk Icon. It was built at the same time when the convent was founded.
The Poklonnaya Mountain is the flat hill in the western part of Moscow. Once the Poklonnaya Mountain was far beyond the borders of Moscow, and from its top one could see the city panorama. Travelers often climbed the mountain to see Moscow and to bow to the city. "Bow" is "poklon" in Russian, hence the name of the mountain.
Moscow State University is the oldest in Russia. The University was founded in 1755. Outstanding Russian scientist and Encyclopaedist Mikhail Lomonosov did his best to make the University foundation possible. According to Lomonosov's plans, the three faculties were founded, which were Philosophical, Juridical, and Medicinal.
Ostankino Estate is one of the survived architectural monuments of the 18th century. First records of the estate date back to the middle of the 16th century when Ostankino was the place where the Shchelkalovis' estate with a small wooden church was located. In 1620 tsar Mikhail Fyodorovitch presented Ostankino to boyar I. Cherkassky.
Museum of Ceramics and "Kuskovo Country Estate of the 18th Century" is a museum complex of the former country side residence of the Counts Sheremetevs in Kuskovo. From 1918 it is a museum-country estate. In 1932, the Museum of Russian Porcelain was transferred here. This Museum was set up on the basis of nationalised private collections. One can see here works of Russian, foreign (from the 15th century) and Soviet ceramics and glass, paintings, still lives of the 1730-1740s, portraits of the 1760 - 1770s, West European engravings of 18th century. More than 20 unique monuments of architecture with genuine interiors are presented here including a Dutch Palace, an Italian museum, a Grotto, a Greenhouse, others.
The museum's collection includes more than 1400 paintings, drawings & sculptures of Russian & West European masters. One of the most interesting for the tourists is a collection of old Russian art of the 11 - 17th centuries including icons, old frames, furniture and applied arts. Also the tourists can have a lunch in the restaurant situated in the gallery.