Государственное бюджетное профессиональное образовательное учреждение
«Краснобаковский лесной колледж»
по английскому языку для студентов I курса
«Жизнь в колледже»
№1. New words
college – колледж
vocational education – профессиональное образование
student – студент
teacher – преподаватель
grouptutor - куратор
monitor - староста
department – отделение
full-time – очная форма обучения
part-time/correspondence – заочная форма обучения
specialty – специальность
course – курс
session – сессия
period (double-lesson, double-class) – пара (сдвоенный урок)
break – перемена
timetable/curriculum – расписание
register – журнал
subject – предмет
lecture – лекция
seminar – семинар
exam – экзамен
credit test – зачёт
scholarship – стипендия
workshop – мастерская
hostel – общежитие
canteen – столовая
№2. Read the text.
My college life
My name is Alex. I study at the Forest College. I am a full-time student. I am in my first year now.
There are full-time and part-time departments in our college. The academic session lasts 10 months. Our college trains specialists in many branches of knowledge. There are four specialty in the college: “Forest and park management”, “Technical exploitation of the lifting, transport, building and road machines and equipment”, “Landscape gardening and landscape construction” and “Hunting and fur farming”. Our college is very cosy and spacious. There is a large and light hall, a sport gym, a training room with sport heavy equipment on the ground floor. Many subject classrooms, a rich library and a reading hall are situated on the second floor. All the rooms of our college have modern equipment: computers, TV-sets, DVD-players and interactive boards. Not far from the college it is a hostel. It is a very comfortable and cosy four-stored building for the students. Opposite the college it is a club and a canteen. During the lunch-break we go there to have dinner.
Our periods begin at 8 o’clock and they are over at 1610. Our period lasts 90 minutes. As a rule, we have three or four periods every day. We study many subjects at the college. We attend lectures, seminars and have practice. Some students who have only good and excellent marks get a scholarship. We go to college five days a week. Saturday and Sunday are our days off.
Our group consists of 25 students, including our monitor. Some our groupmates live in our hostel. As a rule, almost every student of our group comes to the college before the bell rings. So we can have a chat with each other. We usually have a lot of things to talk about. After periods everybody goes home to do homeworks. There are many different clubs and societies at our college. I attend a sport club and a dance club.
At the end of each semester we have test, credit tests and exams. When we have passed all the tests we start to prepare for the exams. After the exams a vacation comes.
Now I can’t say that college life is a fascinating, fantastic experience. For the moment I can compare it only with a daily routine.
№3. Answer the questions:
Where do you study?
What specialty do you study?
Are you a part-time or a full-time student?
What year are you in now?
How many students are there in your group?
When do your periods start?
When do your periods finish?
What is your favourite subject?
Do you always attend your lectures?
Do you get a scholarship?
How often do you have exams and credit tests?
Do any of your friends live in a hostel?
№4. Translate the following expressions.
To study at the college, to attend periods, to get a scholarship, to fail at the exam, a part-time student, to take part in social activities, to be at the top of the group, to get excellent marks, sophomore, free of charge, to live in a hostel, groupmate, to miss periods, educational institution, to do well in a subject, to study individually, to get ready for exams, a first-year student, semester, academic session.
№5. Translate the following expressions.
Староста, колледж, среднее профессиональное образование, давать хорошие знания по предмету, физическая культура, изучать английский язык, расписание учебных занятий, сдавать академическую сессию, проводить занятия два раза в неделю, сдать экзамены, хорошо успевать по предмету, выполнять домашнее задание, коллективная работа на занятии, быть студентом-первокурсником, принимать участие в общественной деятельности, усовершенствовать знания языка.
№6. Insert the prepositions where it is necessary.
1. I study…the сollege. 2. Our college gives profound knowledge… all spheres…life. 3. I try to get good marks… all subjects. 4. This educational institution is famous… its graduates. 5. The students…my group always prepare well…the periods. 6. Citizens… Russia have the right…education. 7. Russian children begin to attend school… the age… six. 8. Entrance examinations…the college are held… July. 9. I study…the part-time department. 10. … the end … each semester we have test.
№7. Translate the following sentences.
1. Я студент первого курса колледжа.2. Я учусь на механика по очной форме обучения. 3. Я стараюсь получать хорошие оценки и много времени уделяю подготовке домашнего задания. 4. Наш колледж основан в декабре 1947 году. 5. Наши преподаватели дают глубокие знания по всем предметам учебной программы. 6. Со 2 курса у студентов начинаются практические занятия в мастерских колледжа. 7. Прилежные студенты нашего колледжа получают стипендию. 8. Я очень люблю читать, и мой любимый предмет – литература. 9. Я часто посещаю библиотеку. 10. В читальном зале есть справочная литература для подготовки к занятиям.
№8. Put the questions to the following sentences.
1) I passed my exams well. (Who? How? )
2) I go to my college on foot. (Who? How? Where?)
3) We have four periods a day. (How many?)
4) Our periods begin at 8 a.m. (When?)
5) I work hard. (Who? How? )
6) He does well at the college. (How?)
№9. Give the short affirmative answer (+).
1) Has our college full-time and part-time departments?
2) Do our studies begin at 9 o’clock?
3) Do we usually have 5 periods a day?
№10. Give the short negative answer(-).
1) Is there a small reading-hall in our college?
2) Have our labs old equipment?
3) Will the academic session end in May?
№11. Guess the subject.
1. We do sums, our task is very difficult but interesting, we count numbers, we learn to add, divide, multiply and subtract.
2. We read, translate, learn dialogues, make up dialogues and know about the traditions and customs of Britain.
3. We do grammar exercises, we learn our native language.
4. It is our favourite subject. It is important subject in our department. We learn new and interesting things about substances.
5. It is very interesting subject. It retells us about past events of our country.
6. It is very important and necessary subject for modern specialists. We learn to work on the computer.
7. We read the classic books, retell and analyze them. We write reports about the biography of great writers.
8. It is important to know this subject for future specialists. We learn important laws of nature, motion, power, electrical phenomena and many interesting things.
№12. Discuss the proverbs1.
Live and learn. – Век живи – век учись.
It’s never too late to learn. Учиться никогда не поздно.
Knowledge is power. Знание – сила.
To know everything is to know nothing. Знать всё – значит ничего не знать.
Soon learnt, soon forgotten. Выученное наспех быстро забывается.
Money spent on the brain is never spent in vain. Деньги, потраченное на образование, всегда окупаются.
Better untaught than ill taught. – Недоученный хуже неучёного.
Like teacher, like pupil. – Какой учитель, такой и ученик.
№13. Read the dialogue:
Kate: Hello, Ann. Haven’t seen you for ages! What are you doing now?
Ann: Hi, Kate! I’m studying at the forestry college…
Kate: Oh, really? How interesting! Will you tell me some words about
Ann: What are you interested in? There are four departments at our college …
Kate: You see, it’s my sister who dreams to enter this college, she is interested in
Ann: We study many subjects at the college. The study is not easy, but who
works hard and regularly, makes good progress.
Kate: That’s just so. How long does the course run?
Ann: Four years. During the course we have practical work, as a rule in summer. Kate: I see… What speciality do they get after finishing college?
Ann: They will become designers, technicians of gardening and greening.
Kate: Yea, today it’s a very necessary and wonderful speciality.
That’s just the thing for my sister.
Sally: Hello, Alex! Haven’t seen you for ages!
Alex: Hi, Sally! You are a freshgirl of our college! My congratulations to you!
Sally: Thank you. We have four double- periods every day, it’s unusual for me… I haven’t practically free time… And where are you going now?
Alex: To the canteen. Let’s go together!
Sally: I’m hungry too… But I must to the lessons, I won’t miss the classes!How is your progress at the college?
Alex: You see I have missed 2 weeks, so I fell behind my group and failed at the exam in history.
Sally: Oh, really? I thought you are at the top of the group! What are you planning to do?
Alex: Well, to read up well for the exam and to pass it all my best!
Sally: No doubt! You’ll get it! Good luck!
Pete: Excuse me, please!
Pete: How can I get to the forestry college?
Vlad: Oh, it’s not far from here! Follow me, please, I’m just going there!
Pete: O’key. Do you study at this college ?
Vlad: Yea… I’m at the second year-student…
Pete: Do you like to study there?
Vlad: I’m satisfied with my choice! The study is not difficult but interesting. All the rooms have modern equipment: TV-sets, players, interactive boards… There are computer classes. Most of all I like to work at the computer.
Pete: To be often I’m not sure if I can do it…
Vlad: You were not taught using a computer, weren’t you?
Pete: To my shame, I only can play games…
Vlad: Don’t worry! You will be taught very quickly! It’s very exciting!
№14. Learn the poems
My Promise 2
Each day I'll do my best,
And I won't do any less.
My work will always please me,
And I won't accept a mess.
I'll colour very carefully,
My writing will be neat.
And I simply won't be happy
'Til my papers are complete.
I'll always do my homework,
And I'll try on every test.
And I won't forget my promise –
To do my very best!
accept a mess – устраивать беспорядок
forget smb. promise – забыть о чьём-либо обещании
My Mother Does My Homework3
My mother does my homework.
She thinks it's loads of fun.
She says that she's just "helping" me
but, soon enough, it's done.
We sit down at the dinner table
every single night.
She answers all the questions
and she always gets them right.
And now and then, she'll tell me
I should go and take my bath.
When I get back, I find she's done
my science and my math.
You'd think that I'd be overjoyed
to never have to work.
But every time she "helps me out"
I nearly go berserk.
I ask if I can do it, but
she shrugs off my requests.
So all my grades are crummy
since she doesn't take my tests.
load of fun – забавная нагрузка
be overjoyed – обрадоваться
go berserk – звереть
shrug off smb. requests – отмахиваться от чьих-либо просьб
crummy – отвратительный, убогий
1 М.И.Дубровина «Английские и русские пословицы и поговорки в иллюстрациях»
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|