Скачивание материала началось
Предлагаем Вам установить расширение «Инфоурок» для удобного поиска материалов:ПЕРЕЙТИ К УСТАНОВКЕ
When I woke up I was in a strange bed in a strange room. I looked around and surprised: where was I? What had happened?
I turned my head. Someone was sitting beside the bed. It was my dear friend Henry Clevel.
- My dear Henry! – I cried. – How glad I am to see you! But why are you here? What has happened?
- I am glad you’re alive, Victor, - Henry said, - your house was stroke by lightning last night. The fire started and the house was burnt to the ground. All your books and papers were destroyed. There is nothing left of your laboratory.
- I don’t care, Henry, - I said. – I was tired of my work. My ideas were wrong. But tell me, Henry, what are you doing in Heidelberg?
- Your father sent me, - Henry said. – When you did not write he became worried. What is wrong, Victor? You look very pale and ill.
- Nothing is wrong now, - I said. – I was working too hard, but I’ve just finished now. I don’t want to talk of any more, Henry. Tell me the news from Geneva.
- Everyone is well, - Henry answered. – Your family sends you their love and I am coming to the University to study. My father has agreed at last. I am going to study languages.
I was very happy that Henry came to Heidelberg. The past year seemed like a dream. Thanks God! The fire had destroyed the terrible monster. I knew now that my work had been very wicked. I hated science now. I decided to study languages with Henry.
The months passed. Slowly I became stronger and happier. I was a young man. I made friends and began to enjoy life again.
Winter passed and spring. Then in May a letter came from my father. As I began to read it I gave a terrible cry.
- My God! Victor! What’s wrong? – Henry asked. – Is it bad news?
- Terrible news, - I answered, - my brother William is dead.
- Dead? – Henry repeated. – Has it been an accident?
-Not an accident, - I answered, - my dear brother who was 10 years old has been killed, murdered. I must go home at once.
I got money for my journey like a man in a dream. I said good-bye to Henry and left Heidelberg for the last time. The long journey went quickly. Soon I was looking at the villages and mountains near Geneva. I have not seen my home for four years. In the afternoon on the twentieth day I arrived to the small village about a half -kilometer from Geneva. It was the place where my brother had been murdered. I decided to stay the night at the village. I wanted to see the place where William had died.
It was a beautiful place. I stood there thinking about my brother. Why had anyone wanted to kill him? I could not understand it.
It was very dark now. I heard thunder. Lightning began to flash in the mountains. Something moved behind the tree. There was another flash of lightning. For a moment I saw everything clearly. There was something huge and terrible there, something bigger than any man. It was the monster! There was a wicked smile on his yellow wrinkled face. I suddenly understood: the monster was not dead. He had not died in a fire. The monster killed my brother! I gave a cry. The monster turned away. I ran after him but he was moving too fast. A few minutes later I saw him climbing up the side of the mountain. The monster was faster and stronger than any man. I knew that I could not catch him. I had made a monster, and the monster had murdered my brother. How could I tell my father? I could not tell him the truth; he would not believe me. My mind was full of terror and fear. I could not tell anyone my terrible secret. I went on to Geneva with a sad heart.
1. Match the word – combinations with their translation:
a) to wake up 1. лізти вгору
b) to look around 2. бігти за кимось
с) to be destroyed 3. обернутися
d) to be nothing left 4. блискати
e) to become worried 5. бути вбитим
f) to be murdered 6. востаннє
g) for the last time 7. нічого не залишитися
h) to flash 8. ставати схвильованим
i) to turn away 9. дивитися навкруги
j) to run after smb 10. бути зруйнованим
k) to climb up 11. прокидатися
2. Write down as many synonyms as you know:
a) to wake up _______________________________________________________
b) strange __________________________________________________________
c) to surprise _______________________________________________________
d) to destroy ________________________________________________________
e) to finish _________________________________________________________
f) dream ___________________________________________________________
g) a letter __________________________________________________________
3. Choose the correct variant:
1. When Victor woke up he was…
in a strange bed in a strange room;
in the hospital;
in his father’s room.
2. Someone was sitting beside the bed – it was…
3. Henry said that Victor’s books and papers…
had been sold;
had been lost;
had been destroyed.
4. Henry was going to study…
5. Then in May…
a letter came from his father;
he saw a monster;
his father died.
6. In May Victor’s brother William…
came to Geneva;
7. Victor have not seen his home for…
8. The monster was…
fast and strong;
4. Complete the sentences filling in missing words from the text:
When I woke up I ____________________________________________
I looked around and saw _______________________________________
Henry said there was nothing left of Victor’s ______________________
Henry said that Victor looked __________________________________
Henry was going to study ______________________________________
Victor decided to study languages with ___________________________
Then in May a letter came from _________________________________
Victor got money for his ______________________________________
Victor arrived at home on ______________________________________
5. Guess the meaning:
To stop sleeping - ____________________________________________
To make smb feel surprised - ___________________________________
To damage smth so badly that it can no longer be used or no longer exists - __________________________________________________
A written or printed message that you send to smb - ________________
An unpleasant event that happens unexpectedly and causes damage, injury or death - _____________________________________________
The act of travelling from one place to another, usually on land - _______
A very high hill - ____________________________________________
A creature that is large, ugly and frightening - _____________________
6. Answer the questions:
1. Where was Victor when he woke up?
2. Whom did he see beside the bed?
3. What happened to Victor’s house?
4. What was Henry going to study?
5.What did Victor think as for the monster?
6. When did the letter from Victor’s father come?
7. What was this letter about?
8. Where did Victor arrive on the 20th day?
Whom did he see there?
7. Odd one out:
to wake up/to sleep/to get up/to awake;
to amaze/to surprise/to cry/to astonish;
to destroy/to ruin/to demolish/to create;
to finish/to end/to begin/to complete;
a letter/a note/a massage/a topic;
a dream/a sleep/a slumber/a thought.
8. Write down questions to the given answers:
1. When he woke up he was in a strange bed in a strange room.
2. He looked around and saw his friend Henry Clevel.
3. He hated science now.
4. In May a letter came from his father.
5. That letter was about William’s death.
6. He got money for his journey like a man in a dream.
7. He decided to stay the night at the village.
9. Write down special questions to the sentences:
1. When Victor woke up he was in a strange bed in a strange room.
2. When he turned his head he saw Henry Clevel.
3. Victor’s father sent Henry to him when Victor didn’t write.
4. In May a letter came from Victor’s father.
5. Victor suddenly understood: the monster was not dead.
Посібник структурований за трьома видами мовленнєвої діяльності. Розроблені завдання допоможуть вчителю здійснити контроль сформованості цих навичок.
Кожен вчитель може використати пропонований матеріал на свій розсуд для перевірки знань учнів.
Видання рекомендується для учнів шкіл, гімназій, ліцеїв, студентів неспеціальних факультетів ВНЗ та читачів, які вивчають англійську мову самостійно.