Years passed. Now I feel that my life is nearly over. I followed the monster wherever he let me. I followed him through forests and across deserts. I crossed flat plains and high mountains. At last we have reached this place of ice and snow. The cold is terrible, but the monster feels nothing. He does not feel cold or heat. Always he has been in front of me; I get near him! But I can never catch him!
Now the journey is ended. The monster is ready to stand and fight. He is bigger and stronger than me. But I have my gun. I will be able to kill him before he kills me. I can see the monster in front of me. His terrible shape looks black against the white snow. He has stopped at last. He has turned to look at me.
- Do not kill me yet, Victor Frankenstein, - the monster cried. – Listen to what I have to say.
- What can you say to me?! – I replied. – You have destroyed everything I loved. You are a thing of evil, a wicked creature.
- You made me, - the monster replied. – You are guilty. I did not wish to be evil. I wanted to be your friend. But you made me ugly. You ran away from me. Those I tried to love were afraid of me. So I killed them. I asked you to create a friend for me. But you destroyed her. I had no family to love. So I destroyed yours. My wicked life made me unhappy. But I could not stop. Pain and unhappiness turned to anger in my mind. You are guilty, Frankenstein. You gave me this ugly body. You created me! You are a wicked man!
As I listened to the monster’s words my mind was filled with horror.
- What you say is true, - I cried. – I was the murderer of those I loved.
- Now you have said these words. My life of misery and unhappiness is complete, - said the monster sadly. – You are the guilty one, not me. Now I shall go far away from here. I shall find wood; I shall set light to it. Then I shall throw myself on the flames. My death will be terrible. But at last I will be at peace.
And with one last look at me the monster turned and went to his lonely and terrible death.
I have decided to die in this terrible place. The story of my life is ended. Perhaps no one will ever read these words - it does not matter. Here I will stay until my body is hard and cold. Good – bye and may God forgive me ”.
These were the last words of the unhappy Victor Frankenstein…
1. Match the word – combinations with their translation:
a) across deserts 1. плоскі рівнини
b) to reach 2. кидатися
c) a thing of evil 3. творіння зла
d) flat plains 4. через пустелі
e) to be guilty 5. розводити багаття
f) to fill 6. пробачати
g) misery 7. бути винним
h) to set fire 8. наповнювати
i) to throw 9. досягати
j) to forgive 10. страждання
2. Find the synonyms and underline them:
a) to follow, to accompany, to escort, to go with, to collect.
b) desert , wasteland, wilds, wilderness, island.
c) to reach, to accept, to amount to, to arrive at, to stretch.
d) heat, warmth, coolness, heart.
e) to catch, to arrest, to capture, to drop, to take.
f) to kill, to assassinate, to execute, to kick, to kidnap.
g) ugly, monstrous, misshapen, pretty, smart, hideous.
3. Choose the correct variant:
1. Years passed: now Victor feels that his life is…
2. Victor followed the monster through…
lakes and rivers;
forests and deserts;
big cities and villages.
ice and snow;
3. As Victor listened to the monster…
his mind was filled with horror;
he wanted to die;
he thought the monster was right.
4. “Good – bye and may God forgive me”, - these were the last words of…
the author of this story.
4. Complete the sentences filling in missing words from the text:
Victor crossed _______________________________________________
The cold was terrible but the monster ____________________________
Always he has been __________________________________________
Victor will be able to kill the monster before _______________________
The monster’s terrible shape looked black against __________________
The monster had no family to love so ____________________________
The monster will find wood and he will __________________________
Victor have decided to die in ___________________________________
5. Guess the meaning:
a) Something that you do to punish smb who has hurt you, made you suffer etc. _______________________________________________________________
b) A large area of land covered with trees - ____________________________
c) A large area of land, usually covered with sand that is hot, and has very little water and very few plants - _________________________________________
d) Small, soft, white pieces of frozen water that fall from the sky in cold weather - _______________________________________________________
e) The feeling of smth hot - _________________________________________
f) Physically powerful; able to lift or carry heavy things - _________________
g) To move your body, or part of your body so that you are facing in a different direction - _______________________________________________________
h) To finish smth; to bring smth to an end - ____________________________
i) To think about two or more possibilities and choose one of them - ________
6. Answer the questions:
1. What did Victor follow the monster through?
2. Why did the monster kill people (to his mind)?
3. What did monster decide to do?
7. Odd one out:
to catch/to grab/to grasp/to growl;
to achieve/to get/to gesture/to obtain;
to end/to finish/to stop/to store;
8. Write down questions to the given answers:
1. Years passed since that time.
2. He does not feel cold or heat.
3. He could see the monster in front of him.
4. His death will be terrible; but at last he will be at peace.
5. And with one last look at Victor he turned and went to his lonely and terrible death.
9. Write down special questions to the sentences:
1. Years passed and now Victor felt that his life was nearly over.
2. Always the monster has been in front of Victor.
3. When the journey was ended the monster was ready to stand and fight.
4. When the monster finds the wood, he will set light to it.
Посібник структурований за трьома видами мовленнєвої діяльності. Розроблені завдання допоможуть вчителю здійснити контроль сформованості цих навичок.
Кожен вчитель може використати пропонований матеріал на свій розсуд для перевірки знань учнів.
Видання рекомендується для учнів шкіл, гімназій, ліцеїв, студентів неспеціальних факультетів ВНЗ та читачів, які вивчають англійську мову самостійно.
Номер материала: 371719
Вам будут интересны эти курсы:
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|