The 9th grade
Title of the lesson: “Grammar practice. Revision of Tenses.”
The type of the lesson: question-answer, writing practice
Aims: 1. to develop educational level of pupils
2. to improve reading, writing, speaking, listening
comprehension skills through doing exercises
3. to improve the pupils’ lexical set
The plan of the lesson
to improve speaking abilities of pupils through discussing the text;
to improve their knowledge in grammar;
to develop in outlook of the pupils;
to train their memory;
the interest to the language by means of expressing the opinion based on the vocabulary learned;
3. Bringing-up tasks:
- to bring-up the skill of communication;
- to bring-up the pupils’ respect to their individuality;
The organizational moment
Good morning teacher!
How are you?
I’m fine, and you?
I’m fine too, thank you, sit down please!
The report of the pupil on duty
Who is on duty today?
I’m on duty today.
Who is absent today?
Everybody is present.
What date is it today?
What day is it today?
Well, thank you, sit down please.
What was the home task?
Thank you, sit down please! Who wants to read?
So today we have theme “Grammar practice. Revision of Tenses”.
PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE
A period that started in the past and that continues up to now. Result is stressed
He has painted a portrait.
A permanent state, a habit, a job
Arthur has lived in London all his life.
Arthur has been a painter for 5 years.
How long has he smoked cigarettes?
Arthur has smoked cigarettes all his life.
“ just”, “for”, “how long”
Actions in the past when there is no stress on the duration of the action
Yesterday , they watched football.
Before he was married, he went to the pub every night.
The Egyptians believed in life after death.
Past time indicators (once, ago, yesterday, …)
Routines, habits, hobbies, characteristics, permanent jobs IN THE PAST.
PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS
Period that started in the past and that continues up to now.
Duration is stressed
We have been looking for you since 8 o’clock.
Present period. Routines, habits, hobbies
I play tennis.
Babies like milk.
General truth. Water boils at 100°C.
Permanent jobs. I am a student.
Action ongoing in the present.
Situation that’s changing or developing in the present.
Electricity is getting more and more expensive.
Period in the past. Action ongoing at some time in the past
He was laughing.
Often happens together with another action in the past.
I was watching the TV when someone knocked on the door.
1.1 What were you doing at the following times? Write one sentence as in the examples. The past continuous is not always necessary (see the second example).
1. (at 8 o'clock yesterday evening)
I was having dinner with some friends.
2. (at 5 o'clock last Saturday)
I was on a train on my way to London.
3. (at 10.15 yesterday morning)
4. (at 4.30 this morning)
5. (at 7.45 yesterday evening)
6. (half an hour ago)
1.2 Use your own ideas to complete these sentences. Use the past continuous.
1. Tom burnt his hand while he was cooking the dinner.
2. The doorbell rang while I ---
3. We saw an accident while we ---
4. Mary fell asleep while she ---
5. The television was on but nobody ---
1.3 You are asking somebody questions about things he or she has done. Make questions from the words in brackets.
Have you ever ridden a horse?
4. (ever/speak/famous person?)
5. (always/live/in this town?)
6. (most beautiful place/ever/visit?) What
1.4 Complete Bs answers. Some sentences are positive and some negative. Use a verb from this list:
be be cat happen have meet play read see see try
1 A: What's George's sister like?
B: I've no idea. I've never met her.
2. A: How is Amy these days?
B: I don't know. I --- her recently.
3. A: Are you hungry?
B: Yes. I --- much today.
4. A: Can you play chess?
B: Yes, but --- for ages.
5. A: Did you enjoy your holiday?
B: Yes, it's the best holiday --- for a long time.
6. A: What's that book like?
B: I don't know ---
7. A: Is Brussels an interesting place?
B: I've no idea --- there.
8. A: Mike was late for work again today.
B: Again? He --- every day this week.
9. A: Do you like caviar?
B: I don't know ---
10. A: The car broke down again yesterday.
B: Not again! That's the second time --- this week.
11. Who's that woman by the door)
B: I don't know --- before.)
1.5 Read the situations and complete the sentences.
1. The rain started two hours ago. It's still raining now. It has been raining for two hours.
2. We started waiting for the bus 20 minutes ago. We're still waiting now.
We --- for 20 minutes.
3. I started Spanish classes in December. I'm still learning Spanish now.
I --- since December.
4. Ann began looking for a job six months ago. She's still looking now.
--- for six months.
5. Mary started working in London on 18 January. She's still working there now.
--- since 18 January.
6. Years ago you started writing to a pen-friend. You still write to each other regularly now.
We --- for years.
1.6 Put the verb into the present continuous (I am ~ing etc.) or present perfect continuous (I have been ~ing etc.).
1. Maria has been learning (learn) English for two years.
2. Hello, Tom. I --- (look) for you all morning. Where have you been?
3. Why --- (you/took) at me like that? Stop it!
4. We always go to Ireland for our holidays. We --- (go) there for years.
5. I --- (think) about what you said and I've decided to take your advice.
6. 'Is Ann on holiday this week?' 'No, she ---e (work).'
7. Sarah is very tired. She --- (work) very hard recently.
1.7 For each situation, ask a question using the words in brackets.
1. You have a friend who is learning Arabic. You ask: (how long/learn/Arabic?) How long have you been learning Arabic?
2. You have just arrived to meet a friend. She is waiting for you. You ask: (how long/wait?)
3. You see somebody fishing by the river. You ask: (how many fish/catch?)
4. Some friends of yours are having a party next week. You ask: (how many people/invite?)
5. A friend of yours is a teacher. You ask: (how long/reach?)
6. You meet somebody who is a writer. You ask: (how many books/write?)
7. A friend of yours is saving money to go on holiday. You ask: (how long/save?)
(how much money/save?
Do you have any questions?
So, your marks for today...
The lesson is over, good bye!
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|