Муниципальное бюджетное общеобразовательное учреждение средняя общеобразовательная школа № 1 г. Курганинска
Грамматические и лексические задания к урокам
Громова Зоя Владимировна
Пособие представляет собой подборку коротких грамматических и лексических заданий разного уровня сложности, предназначенных для ежедневной активизации пройденного материала и закрепления нового. Они могут выполняться в произвольном порядке, дополняя любой учебник. Учитель может использовать их в классе для проведения контрольных мероприятий, а также предлагать в качестве домашних заданий. Пособие может быть использовано учащимися средних и старших учебных заведений, а также лицами, самостоятельно изучающими английский язык.
1. Use the right pronoun to complete the sentences.
Pete is ill. He asked me to hand in paper.
Do you see that man? Do you know ?
I don't recognize these boys. Have you ever met ?
Ann, have you found the article? Have translated________?
My dog Rex is here. But where is dog-collar?
Key: 1. his; 2. him; 3. them; 4. you, it; 5. his
2. Fill in the plural. (Запиши множественное число данных существительных.)
a toy - _____________________
a baby - ___________________
a bus - _____________________
a watch - ___________________
a piano - ___________________
a photo - _____________________
a tomato - _____________________
a video - ___________________
a roof - ___________________
a leaf - ___________________
Key: 1. toys; 2. babies; 3. buses; 4. watches; 5. pianos; 6. photos; 7. tomatoes; 8. videos; 9. roofs; 10. leaves
3. Complete the sentences. Use one of these verbs in the present simple or past simple:
be (2) lose (2) go rain leave (2) see meet
Jim often______ things. Yesterday he his umbrella.
It____________ sunny today, but yesterday it________all day.
Last Sunday we________to the cinema. The film ___boring.
Lisa usually ________home at 8. Yesterday she home at 8.15.
I____________Nick yesterday. I_________him on the way home.
Key: 1. loses, lost; 2. is, rained; 3. went, was; 4. leaves, left; 5. saw, met
4. Put in is/are/do/does.
Where______ you from?
Where______ Jane live?
3. you like your new school?
4. Where______ your textbook?
5. you play any sports?
6.What time the library close?
7. you usually tired after your classes?
8. your mother a lawyer?
9. she know your phone number?
10. her job boring?
Key: 1. are; 2. does; 3. Do; 4. is; 5. Do; 6. does; 7. Are; 8. Is; 9. Does; 10. Is
5. Choose the correct answer.
1. Nick________ the best.runner.
A. he is . B. do
С is D. are
2.What________ doing now?
A. Ann is B. Ann
C. does Ann D. is Ann
3. to the swimming pool on your days off?
A. You usually go B. Do you go usually
С Do you usually go D. Are you go
A. Ann did go B. did Ann go
С Ann went D. was Ann go
5.Where_______ next summer?
A. were you В. will you go
С you will go D. are you go
Key: l.C;2. D; 3. C; 4. B; 5. В
6. Put the verb in the correct form -positive or negative.
Last weekend we went camping. But the weather was awful. We didn't enjoy our trip, (enjoy)
The sweater was too big for me. I it. (buy)
The test wasn't very difficult. I enough time to check my answers. (have)
I didn't want to go to school yesterday because I _ ready for the test. (be)
He didn't want to tell the truth. He a lie. (tell)
It was very cold yesterday and I. ________ a cold. (catch)
Key: 1. didn't buy; 2. had; 3. wasn't; 4. told; 5. caught
7. Choose А, В, С or D to complete the text.
1. There are many different animals in the world. There are wild animals and domestic animals. They can be long-legged and short-legged...
A. The elephant is bigger than the tiger.
B. The giraffe eats leaves and grass.
C. There are long-necked and short-necked animals.
D. The monkey's tail is longer than the hare's.
2. After school Ann usually goes home. She has dinner and then_________.
Then she takes her dog for a walk.
A. did her homework
B. is hungry and thirsty
C. telephoned her friends
D. does her homework
3. There are many different countries in the world - for example,___________.
Some countries are large, but others are not.
A. I'd like to visit them
B. they are very interesting
С warm countries and cold countries
D. the earth is full of wonders
4. Tim is a very nice boy. He is always friendly and kind. He has a lot of friends.________.
A. He has got a dog.
B. He always helps them if they need it.
C. Tim lives in a big house.
D. He hasn't a sweet tooth.
Key: l.C;2. D; 3. C; 4. В
8. Look at the plan of Green Street Read the text. Write on the houses in the plan the name of the child who lives there.
Tina lives in the house next to the cinema.
On the other end of the street next to the school lives Hugh.
Tina and Hugh are very good friends and often play together.
Tina's next door neighbour is Ann.
Alex lives between Hugh and Ann.
9. Read the story and write whose pets they are and what they can do.
Jane, Jack, Dan and Ted are pet lovers. Jane would like to have a hamster, but her mother is afraid of hamsters. Instead, Jane has a parrot. Her parrot is a real chatterbox. Jack always says that he would like to have a horse. He can't keep a horse as a pet. He has got a dog - Diamond. When he comes home from school Diamond brings his slippers to him. Dan has got a parrot. His parrot can't talk, he can sing. Ted has got a cat. The cat teaches her kittens how to hunt mice.
Kitty's puppy can give his paw.
Key: Jane's parrot can talk. Jack's dog can bring slippers. Dan's parrot can sing. Ted's cat can hunt mice
10. There are 10 mistakes in Ann's story. Find them and correct.
My doll is the beautifullest doll in a world. She have got big blue ears. Her hairs are long and yellow. She can to walk and talk. I think my doll is nice that Ann' doll. Her clothes is very smart. She is wearing a pink dress, white tights and black shoes.
Key: 1. the most beautiful; 2. in the world; 3. has got; 4. blue eyes; 5. hair is; 6. can walk; 7. nicer; 8. than; 9. Ann's; 10. clothes are
1. Use article "to" where necessary to complete the sentences.
Our teacher wants us speak English fluently.
They let us________use dictionaries during the exam.
Her parents wouldn't allow her ___________miss her classes.
The teacher asked Kate _________ read the text once more with the right intonation.
He was not allowed drive a car.
Did you hear Lena speak English with Americans?
Will you let me_____________ go to the cinema?
I'd like you______________ be more serious and attentive.
We didn't expect him make off with the money.
We would like them make up for their bad behaviour.
Key: 1. to; 2. -; 3. to; 4. to; 5. to; 6. -; 7. -; 8. to; 9. to; 10. to
2. Complete the text using these words:
communicate important way
English plays an (1) part in a teenager's world; it is the dominant language in youth style and it is one (2)___________in which teenagers across the world can (3)______________with each other and share a (4)_______________ culture. The existence of graffiti (5) in English in so many countries is one example of this idea.
Key: 1. important; 2. way; 3. communicate; 4. common; 5. written
3. Open the brackets in if/when clauses.
I can tell Jim about it if I (to see) him.
If I (to get) any news, I (to find) you.
Hurry up! If you (not to catch) a taxi, you (not to meet) them at the station.
Call for an ambulance, if you (not to feel) better.
Your parents (to worry), if you (not to phone) them.
1.1 can tell Jim about it if I see him. 2. If I get any news, I'll find you.3. Hurry up! If you don't catch a taxi, you won't meet them at the station.
Call for an ambulance, if you don't feel better. . .
Your parents will worry, if you don't phone them.
4. Which answers are right? (For some questions more than one alternative is possible.)
1. Would you like a cup of coffee?
A. Yes, I do. С Yes, please.
B. I'd love one. D. No, thanks.
2. It wasn't a bad weekend, was it?
A. Yes, it was. С No, it wasn't.
B. No, it was. D. Yes, it wasn't.
3. Can I give you a lift?
A. Yes, you can. C. Yes, of course.
B. Yes, please. D. Yes, you may.
4. Would you wait half an hour, please?
A. Yes, please. С Yes, I would.
B. All right. D. No, I can't.
5. Will you be here tomorrow?
A. No, I won't. С No, I'm not.
B. I expect so. D. I don't expect so.
Key: 1. B, C, D; 2. A, C; 3. A, B, C; 4. B, D; 5. A, B, D
5. Are the underlined degrees of comparison right or wrong? Correct them where necessary.
It's the most sharp pencil I have.
Soon it will begin to get more colder.
3. My house is the furthest from the station.
4. For farther information, see page 3.
5. Where's the nearest shop?
6. My uncle is the eldest member of my family.
7. Pete is my better friend.
8. This vase is less beautiful than that one.
What is the most latest news?
She is one of the nicest people I know.
Key: 1. wrong: the sharpest; 2. wrong: colder; 3. right; 4. wrong: further; 5. right; 6. wrong: the oldest; 7. wrong: best; 8. right; 9. wrong: the latest; 10. right
6. Put in the where necessary.
I don't think that____ life has changed a lot in the last year.
Have you been to Netherlands or _______ Switzerland?
I couldn't survive without music.
4. English people I know are very friendly.
People must protect environment.
You've made_____________same mistakes as Kate.
Have you got these jeans in size 34?
I often go to_______________cinema.
What's______________capital of_________Dominican Republic?
10. Do you know Professor Wilson's e-mail?
Key: 1-; 2. the,-; 3.-; 4. The; 5. the; 6. the; 7. -; 8. the; 9. the, the; 10. -
7. Find the missing information (?). Write questions.
0. ? spends a lot of time online.
Who spends a lot of time online?
1. There are ? on the table.
It is ? mobile phone.
I met ? on my way home.
? bought a new DVD player.
We had to do?
What is there on the table?
Whose mobile phone is it?
Who did you meet on your way home?
Who bought a new DVD player?
What did you have to do?
8. Put in few/a few/little/a little.
1. Would you mind if I ask you questions about your journey?
At his new school he met students whom he knew well.
My mother knows French, so she can't help me with this
They are always quarrelling. They both have patience.
I have___________money. I can't pay for the Internet right now.
He gave us____________advice and we followed it.
She passed her exams. I think she has free time now.
I can't make up my mind right now. I need_________ time to think.
Listen carefully! I'm going to give you______________useful, information.
Could you spare _______________minutes?
Key: 1, a few; 2. few/a few; 3. little; 4. little; 5. little; 6. a little; 7. a little; 8. a. little; 9. a little; 10. a few
9. Write the conversation with the correct punctuation.
Kate is talking to her friend Ann.
sorryiforgottocallyouneverminditwasnotimportanth о n e s t1 у
Kate: Sorry, 1 forgot to call you.
Ann: Never mind. It was not important, honestly.
10. Put in used to or used.
He __________play tennis a lot, but he doesn 't play very often now.
He_____________my notes to prepare for Psychology.
They_____________miss classes, but they prefer not to do it these days.
There______________be a bookshop near our school, but it closed a long time ago.
5. She________________her imagination to write a fairy tale.
Key: 1. used to; 2. used; 3. used to; 4. used to; 5. used
11. Put in use to or use.
Did you_____________eat a lot of sweets?
Did you________________the Internet to prepare your report?
Did you_________________travel a lot?
Did you_________________sleep late?
Did you________________your old notes to write your essay?
Key: 1. use to; 2. use; 3. use to; 4. use to; 5. use
12. Put in prepositions where necessary.
People buy presents Christmas.
They opened their presents Christmas morning and were happy________________what they got.
He got this job_____________last February.
They rushed to the door the same time.
We are leaving_____________next Friday.
Key: 1. at/for; 2. on, with; 3. -; 4. at; 5. -
13. How well do you know English traditions?
1. English and American people often make - they are promises for the New Year.
In Britain, the day after Christmas is .
In Scotland the first visitor who comes into a house on New Year's morning
is ", ". The Scots believe that if this visitor is a man (or a boy), not a
woman, and has dark hair, he brings luck to the family for the New Year.
The Scottish people call "Hogmanay".
Santa Claus is supposed to visit each house on Christmas Eve by climbing down the_______________.
Key: 1. New Year's Resolutions; 2. Boxing Day; 3. the First Foot; 4. New Year's Eve;
14. In each sentence below there is at least one mistake with the verb. Correct the sentences.
1. I am not go to school every day.
2. Go you to the cinema on Saturday?
3. Ann like go to the theatre.
4. Are you want to watch TV?
5. John can't go for a walk. He must to do his homework.
I do not go to school every day.
Will you go to the cinema on Saturday?
Ann likes to go (going) to the theatre.
Do you want to watch TV?
He must do his homework.
15. Complete the text using these words:
outdoor sandwiches never castle place
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was born in April 1926 in London. Her favourite (1) _____________is Scotland, Windsor (2)__________. Her favourite food is fish, high tea, cucumber (3)______________and cake. Her favourite drink is tea. She likes sports, riding, driving and (4)_______________life. She dislikes coffee, sea voyages, cricket and tennis. She (5) ________________criticizes her children.
Key: 1. place; 2. Castle; 3. sandwiches; 4. outdoor; 5. never
16. Complete these sentences using either the singular or plural forms (or
both) of the verbs in brackets.
1. Fashionable clothes (be) very expensive.
2. The police (have) arrested him.
Last summer his family (be) in the country.
The government (have) solved this problem.
Our basketball team (be) not going to lose the game.
Key: 1. are; 2. have; 3. was; 4. has/have; 5. is
17. Complete each sentence using the best adverb.
Sue is a very bad singer. She sings badly.
Our teacher is very quiet. She speaks .
Tim is a good swimmer. Tim swims .
My father is a careful driver. He drives .
He is seldom very angry. He seldom speaks to me
He is a quick runner. He runs___________.
Key: 1. quietly; 2. well; 3. carefully; 4. angrily; 5. quickly
18. Complete the table. Be careful. Some adverbs are irregular.
19. Right or wrong adverb usage?
Sue can spend money wisely.
She studies English hardly.
She seldom goes to bed lately.
She can run fast.
She understands her English teacher perfectly.
Key: 1. right; 2. wrong (hard); 3. wrong (late); 4. right; 5. right
20. Fill in every day of your diary with activities in London.
have had a boat
trip on the Thames
21. Which is right?
I feel nervous/nervously.
She works hard/hardly.
It's raining heavy/heavily.
He drives dangerous/dangerously.
These flowers look beautiful/beautifully.
Key: 1. nervous; 2. hard; 3. heavily; 4. dangerously; 5. beautiful
22. Choose the verbs in the correct form.
1. My mother______________ to change her job.
A. goes B. is going С will go
2. Look at him! He soup.
A. eats B. is going to С is eating
3. He__________ an interview last week.
A. gave B. is giving С will give
4. Her elder brother usually books on history.
A. reading B. will read C. reads
5. They ______ in the student exchange next year.
A. will take part B. took part С taking part
Key: l.B;2. C;3.A;4. C; 5. A
23. Put in have/do/does/are/can
1. you ever lost friends?
2, you like to be popular?
3. you worried about your grades?
4. your teacher often criticize your homework?
5. you concentrate when it's noisy in your classroom?
Key: 1. Have; 2. Do; 3. Are; 4. Does; 5. Can
24. Choose the correct word.
She isn't interesting/interested in computer games.
The novel was quite exciting/excited.
Everybody was shocking/shocked.
I was really amazing/amazed when I was given a "five".
Are you satisfying/satisfied with your job?
Key: 1. interested; 2, exciting; 3. shocked; 4. amazed; 5. satisfied
25. Put this conversation in the correct order.
_a () Yes, please. That's really nice of you.
_b ()____________Well, I'm. a bit stressed. It's my first day here and eveiything's going wrong.
_c (1)__________ What's the matter?
_d () Well, can I help you? Would you like me to post those letters for you?
_e ()___________That's all right.
Key: l.c; 2. b;3.d; 4. a; 5. e
26. Write the conversation with the correct punctuation.
Harry is talking to his friend Louise.
Harry: Sorry, I'm late. The traffic was terrible!
Louise: Well, why didn't you leave earlier? It's typical of you.
Harry: OKs OK, I'm sorry. What more can I say?
27. Complete the following sentences using the correct form of make or do.
Do you know what discovery Newton ?
My mother always tasty cakes.
You should___________ an effort to finish your work in time.
Try and_____________your best!
Will you_____________the washing?
Key: 1. made; 2. makes; 3. make; 4. do; 5. do
28. Are these words used with the verb make or do?
changes a month course
a suggestion a mistake a decision
an appointment discovery
business a phone call friends a promise an experiment
a month course
a month course
a phone call
29. Complete the table by adding the correct noun or verb.
30. Complete the table below by adding the correct noun or adjective.
31. Fill in the blanks with the past simple of the correct verbs from the list.
come be break eat have
Yesterday Math class (1) terrible. All the pupils (2)__________to school
without their homework done. All of them (3) ______excuses. Some excuses
were silly. For example, Frank said that his dog (4)___________his exercise book.
Some excuses were very serious: Vicky (5) ___________her arm.
Key: 1. was; 2. came; 3. had; 4. ate; 5. broke
32. Read this text and think of the word which best fits each space. Use only one word in each space.
(1) company and conversation the English go to the "pub". The pub
(2) the place where you meet people. You get to know other "regulars",
you buy drinks for (3) and they buy drinks for you. You talk about the
weather or how the English cricket players are doing in the match (4) _____________
Australia, about football, or about Parliament. Most pubs have a piano and
(5) Saturday night the customers often sit around it and sing.
Key: 1. For; 2. is; 3. them; 4. against; 5. on
33. Write questions with How long does (did/will) it take...?
0. (I usually go by train from Moscow to St. Petersburg.)
How long does it take by train from Moscow to St. Petersburg?
1. (I'll learn to drive.)
2. (They wrote a test last week.)
3. (Nick found a part-time job the other day.)
4. (She usually walks to school.)
5. (She did the ironing.)
How long will it take you to learn to drive?
How long did it take them to write a test last week?
How long did it take him to find a part-time job?
How long does it take her to walk to school?
How long did it take her to do the ironing?
34. Make up sentences.
hasn't reading she finished the book part yet first of
many already we seen interesting have places
3. years this has bike had for he three
4. known each have other since we in were school
5. very Linda studied term this hard hasn't
She hasn't finished reading the first part of the book yet.
We have already seen many interesting places.
He has had this bike for three years.
We have known each other since we were in school.
Linda hasn't studied very hard this term.
35. Complete the sentences with a preposition if necessary.
Dear Mum and Dad,
Here I am in the Scottish Highlands. It's great. We're staying (1) _______ a Youth Hostel and we go (2)_____________trips every day. Tomorrow we're visiting Doune Castle. It's close (3)______________the village of Doune. From the castle we're cycling (4)__________________south and then (5)___________west along the Flanders Mass.
Key: 1. in; 2. on; 3. to; 4. -; 5. -
36. Put questions to the underlined words.
1. She speaks English perfectly.
2. My little sisters are very noisy.
3. She is an experienced teacher.
4. They are late every morning.
5. They go to school by bus.
How well does she speak English? ' .
Who is/are very noisy?
What kind of teacher is she?
Who is late every morning?
How do they go to school?
37. Put the sentences in the correct order to make the conversation.
- Oh? What was it like?
- We enjoyed ourselves very much. We just lay on the beach all day.
- Did you have a good holiday?
- It was all right, thank you. We went to Spain.
- Well, you are certainly looking brown.
Key: 1. c; 2. d; 3. a; 4. b; 5. e
38. Complete the table to practise passive structures.
English is spoken in India.
They learnt a lot of new words.
The article won't be translated.
They speak English in India.
English is spoken in India.
They learnt a lot of new words.
A lot of new words were learnt.
They won't translate the article.
The article won't be translated.
39. Rewrite the following sentences using compound adjectives.
0. The trip lasted three days. It was a three-day trip.
I got my salary for two weeks. It is my .
The dress costs ninety dollars. It is .
I walk to school. It takes me 10 minutes to walk there. It is _______.
The girl is five years old. She is .
The voyage lasted two weeks. It was .
Key: 1. two-week salary; 2. a ninety-dollar dress; 3. a ten-minute walk; 4. a five-year-old girl; 5.a two-week voyage.
40. Match the spoken words (1-10) to the reported words (a-j).
1. todey a) there
2. tomorrow b) the day before
3. yesterday c) the next day
here d) his or her
my e) that day
6. now f) the following week/year (or the next year)
7. last week/year g) that or the
8. next week/year h) before that (or the previous day)
9. this i) then (or at that moment)
10. ago j) the week/year before
Key: 1. e; 2. c; 3. b; 4. a; 5. d; 6. i; 7. j; 8. f; 9. g; 10. h
41. Fill in the gaps with the correct form ofsay or tell.
1. I'll never you the truth.
2. I saw them yesterday, but they me nothing about it.
3. Don't anything to anyone.
4. What did he to the police?
5. She goodbye and left.
Key: 1. tell; 2. told; 3. say; 4. say; 5. said
42. Ask your friend about his/her summer holiday. Various answer are possible.
Key. For example:
Where did you spend your holiday?
How long did the journey take?
What was it like?
Why aren't you looking brown?
Who advised you to go there?
43. How well do you understand grammar?
1. Which tense do we use to talk about habits?____________________
Which tense do we use to talk about general truths and facts?_________________
Which tense do we use with phrases like "twice a week"?__________________
Do modal verbs change for person? Yes/No
Do modal verbs have an infinitive? Yes/No
Key: 1., 2., 3. Present Simple; 4., 5. No
44. How well do you understand grammar?
1. Which is correct? My train will leave in an hour. /
My train leaves in an hour.
2. Which is correct? I'll tell Ann when I see her. /
I'll tell Ann. when I'll see her.
Which of these is a regular verb? sing/prefer/get
Which is correct? He owns two horses, / He is owning two
5. Is this sentence correct? I am seeing the reporter tomorrow
Key: 1. My train leaves in an hour.; 2. I'll tell Ann when I see her.: 3. prefer; 4. He owns two horses.; 5. Yes.
1. Present Simple or Present Perfect?
English (1) (creep) into everyday use in many countries alongside their own language. Many English (or American) words (2) (be) in common use: cool, sorry, OK and so on. In France, where the older generation (3) (object) to the influence of English, they (4) (give) this phenomenon a name, "Franglias" and, in Latin America they (5) (talk) of "Spanglish".
Key: 1. has crept; 2. are; 3. objects; 4. have given; 5. talk
2. Complete the sentences with on or in.
What's your mark Chemistry?
Do you have extra classes Math?
I've read a lot of articles this subject'
Who gives your classes English?
Could you give me your notes England?
Key: 1. in; 2. in; 3. on; 4. in; 5. on
3. Complete the text using these words:
high-quality any increase carefully multi-media
We live in a (1) ____ society. How does the Internet affect our lives? It
can be very helpful to people who (2) _______choose websites that they
visit. The Internet can (3)_________________our knowledge of the outside world: there
is much (4) information that can help us understand many fields of
study. In this global network you can find (5)_________________information in a few
Key: 1. multi-media; 2. carefully; 3. increase; 4. high-quality; 5. any
4. Fill the gaps using so or such.
It is_______________a high temperature. I'm worried.
She is______________crazy about pop music.
They are______________good friends.
Today there is_______________nasty weather.
The box is__________________heavy.
The jeans are__________________dirty.
They are in________________a bad mood.
She is_________________an emotional girl.
Key: 1. so; 2. such; 3. so; 4. such; 5. such; 6. so; 7. so; 8. so; 9. such; 10. such
5. Complete these sentences using the correct future form of the verbs in brackets.
Be careful! It looks like that ladder (fall down).
Your train_______________(arrive) in Athens at nine o'clock.
I________________(clean) the floors if you help me with cooking dinner.
4. (do) anything special on Sunday at 2 o'clock?
5. Don't worry! I________________(send) this e-mail later.
Key: 1. is going to fall down/will fall down; 2. arrives/will arrive; 3. will clean; 4. Are you doing; 5. will send :
6. Find a proper definition.
to try to come to an agreement with another person
money that has been lent
a business aim
to work together with others
to obtain the temporary use of by paying a rental fee
Key: l.b;2. a; 3. c; 4. e; 5. d
7.Read the text below and think of the word which best fits each space. Use only one word in each space.
5 November 1605
The fifth of November is notorious (0) as the day a group of fanatics tried to blow (1)______________ the Houses of Parliament in 1605. (2)___________the conspirators was Guido Fawkes, whose name (3)_____________since been taken to commemorate (4)_______________attempt. Guy Fawkes' or Bonfire Night is now marked with bonfires and fireworks (5)________________the country.
Key: 1. up; 2. Among; 3. has; 4. the; 5. across
8. Open the brackets.
Spy 007 (1. to work) for the British Secret Service since 1953 when Ian Fleming first (2. to write) about him in Casino Roy ale. Fleming (3. to be) now dead, but the spy still (4; to live) on. The first film (5. to be) Dr No in 1962 and since then he (6. to appear) in over twenty films. Since the Cold War (7. to end), Bond's n enemies (8. not to be) Russians anymore, but there (9. to be) still plenty of bad people out there! Columbia, the film's producer, recently (10. to finish) filming spy 007's latest adventure.
Key: 1. has been working; 2. wrote; 3. is; 4. lives; 5. was;.6. has appeared; 7. has ended; 8. are not; 9. are; 10. has finished
9.Use the word given in capitals at the end of each line to form a word that fits the space in the same line.
1. This site uses a way DIFFER
of searching the Internet.
2. We need a new department of GOVERN
to direct our work.
3. He always sounds more CONFIDENCE
than he feels.
4. You can't be a teacher - you
are very _. PATIENCE (neg.)
5. Brains are supposed to be good at
remembering the between RELATE
lots of different things.
Key: 1. different; 2. government; 3. confident; 4. impatient; 5. relationships
10. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the
first sentence, using the word given. Don’t change the word given. You must
use between two and five words.
1. "They are the most helpful people I've ever met." (never)
He told us he such helpful people before.
2. "Can you give me apiece of advice?" (could)
He asked me_________________________ a piece of advice.
3. "Do you know that girl?" (knew)
Ann asked me that girl.
"When did you have a break?" (had)
He wondered ___________________________a break.
"Has he gone?" (whether)
He wanted to know________________________.
Key: 1. had never met; 2. if I could give him; 3. if I knew; 4. when (we) had had; 5. whether he had gone
11. Choose the correct word А, В, С or D to complete these sentences.
1. Is there any___________to fear that cloning will lead to a nightmarsh world?
A. reason B. goal
С aim D. purpose
2. We need to do more to protect the .
A. environment B. nature
С ecology D. global
3. Plato was the first to the lost city of Atlantis.
A. compose B. write
С describe D. publish
4. What do you___________________when you talk about intelligence?
A. seem B. want
C. describe D. mean
5. Does your father___________________more in his job than your mother?
A. afford B. adore
С win D. earn
Key: 1. A;2.A;3. C;4.D;5.D
12. Complete each sentence so that the meaning is similar to the first sentence.
Of course, I can give you a hand.
He promised to give me a hand.
We were surprised that he turned up at the party.
Nobody expected_________________________ .
Her parents forbid her to go there.
Her parents don't let_________________________.
What causes you to feel so tired?
My parents insisted and I was forced to phone Ann with excuses.
My parents made_____________________________.
I knew that he didn't allow anybody to use his computer.
I was told that he wouldn't let________________________.
Nobody expected him to turn up at the party.
Her parents don't let her go there.
What makes you feel so tired?
My parents made me phone Ann with excuses.
5.I was told that he wouldn't let anybody use his computer.
13. Complete the text with the following verbs in the correct form.
follow punish refuse support object
The Pilgrims were people of England who (1) to the relationship with God and religious services used in the Church of England. King James (2)___________________ all who (3)___________________to (4) the laws and traditions of the Church of England and to give money (5) it
Key: 1. objected; 2. punished; 3. refused; 4. follow; 5. to support
14. Complete the following sentences with the correct form of the word in capitals.
1. We will know their next week. DECIDE
His life is very_______________at times. STRESS
Clothes can tell the world about our_______________. PERSON
Some people______________in the supernatural. BELIEVE
Cars cause a lot of . POLLUTE
Key: 1. decision; 2. stressful; 3. personality; 4. believe; 5. pollution
15. Complete these sentences using the correct form of one of the phrasal
verbs in each space.
count on come up with put on take to get by
It didn't take her long a very convincing example.
They can_______________their classmates for support.
Our group decided a play at school.
I didn't think I would his film, but I did.
If I don't find a job that pays more, we___________________.
Key: 1. to come up with; 2. count on; 3. to put on; 4. take to; 5. won't get by
16. Read the text and complete the sentences below.
Mary's first thought on receiving the invitation to the school reunion was to ignore it. But then she changed her mind and decided to meet up with her former schoolmates.
She hardly recognized John when he came up to her. They danced, and he asked her out. Soon they found they had fallen in love.
Wasn't it lucky she didn't ignore the invitation and met her future husband?
If Mary________________, she wouldn't have thought about her old schoolmates.
If John hadn't come up to her, she .
If she hadn't danced with him, he_____________________.
If he___________________, they wouldn't have fallen in love.
Had she ignored the invitation, Mary______________________.
If Mary hadn't changed her mind/hadn't received the invitation, she wouldn't have thought about her old schoolmates.
If John hadn't come up to her, she wouldn't have remembered him/wouldn't have recognized him.
If she hadn't danced with him, he wouldn't have asked her out.
If he hadn't asked her out, they wouldn't have fallen in love.
Had she ignored the invitation, Mary wouldn't have met her future husband.
17. Complete the text using the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
Skateboarding is a land alternative to surfing. It (1) (develop) in California in the 1960s and (2)__________________ (become) a craze in the 1970s. Skateboarding (3)________________________(enjoy) a revival since the late 1980s when teenagers
started to form communities of skateboarders with their own values, beliefs and special activities such as skateboarding shows. Since then it (4)___________________(become)
an extreme sport rather than a hobby, because now skateboarders (5)________________
(practice) ramp and rail skateboarding.
Key: 1. was developed; 2. became; 3. has enjoyed; 4. has become; 5. practice
18. Use the word given in capitals at the end of each line to form a word that fits in the space in the same line.
Students Take Up Cash for College
The UK has one of the highest (1) EDUCATE
drop-out rates at age 16 in the industrialised
world. Education Maintenance Allowances,
aimed at (2) poorer students from PREVENT
(3) school at 16, were introduced LEAVE
last September. Students must sign (4) AGREE
and attend courses (5) to qualify. REGULAR
allowance денежное пособие
Key: 1. education; 2. preventing; 3. leaving; 4. agreements; 5. regularly
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|