RELATIVE CLAUSES AND PRONOUNS
Task 1: Add relative pronouns and commas where necessary.
1. Heathrow, _________ is one of the biggest airports in the world handles hundreds of flights
2. Some people would do anything________could increase their promotion prospects.
3. The Prime Minister___________ has just arrived will make a speech tonight.
4. Jack Nicholson_________talent is versatile has received three Oscars tonight.
5. We ended in San Diego_________ the plane was supposed to refuel.
6. Can you explain the reason ________very little red wine is produced in Britain?
Task 2: Join these sentences together with relative pronouns. Add commas where necessary.
1. Sir David was speaking at the meeting last night. He is a policeman.
2. The shop is having a sale. I buy all my clothes there.
3. I need a newspaper. I threw it away last night.
4. Kate is coming to stay for Christmas. Her son is married to my cousin.
5. Charles Perry will host a chat show on TV5. His life style is constantly being discussed in the
Task 3: Add comments to these facts. Use ‘which’.
1. It’s difficult to find a job if you don’t have basic computer skills, ____________
2. English has practically become the world’s international language, ___________
3. The 2008 Olympics were held in China, ________________
Task 4: Write statements to which you could add these comments.
1. __________________________________________, which made me mad.
2. ___________________________________________, which I really appreciated.
3. __________________________________________, which changed my plans for the future.
4. ___________________________________________, which scared me to death.