2. Read the text and put the phrases where they belong.
Food and Drink in Britain.
Although Britain is quite a small country, it offers a wide choice of food and drink. The types of food people eat have changed a lot ____(1) for several reasons. People have come to Britain from different parts of the world, bringing their favorite food with them and often opening restaurants. British people have travelled ____(2) and brought new foods back home. And today big supermarket companies can buy food from all over the world and sell it _____(3).
In Britain you can find traditional food like ______(4) and vegetarian food for those who do not eat meat. As well as foods from different parts of Britain, you can buy Italian, Mexican and West Indian food. Tea is often described as the _____(5) but in Britain’s pubs you can drink beers and wines from many different countries as well as cider from the West Country and whisky from Scotland.
Many people do not have time to cook traditional food today, so they buy food which is _____(6), but visitors to Britain often want to try “typical” British food. The best place to go is usually a pub.
Going to a restaurant for a meal, instead of eating at home, is called _____(7). Only a few years ago this way was too expensive for most people; today the British do it a lot more and there are many different kinds of places to go.
Roast beef or fish and chips
Over the years
Ready to eat or quick to make
While it is still good to eat
To other countries
3. Express the same in English.
1. Я не хочу, чтобы ты кричал так громко. 2. Мне бы хотелось, чтобы моя старшая сестра зарабатывала побольше. 3. Джон не ожидает, что мы придем ровно в пять. 4. Моя мама не хочет, чтобы я стала врачом. 5. Все родители хотят, чтобы их дети стали честными и храбрыми. 6. Мне бы не хотелось, чтобы ты приходил к нам.
4. Choose the right item.
5. Insert the articles (a/an, -) where necessary.
1. What ____ awful disaster! 2. How big ____ pile of books is! 3. It is such ____ small can of Pepsi! 4. What____ terrible shock! 5. What ____ tasty vegetables! 6. It is such ____ attractive town! 7. I have never seen such ____ high hedges!
6. Open the brackets to make the sentences complete.
1.It is early morning. Ben (wrote/had written) his composition by that time. 2. She saw that the prairies (stretched/had stretched) for miles. 3. When we came back to the camp, the sun (rose/had risen). 4. Susie (looked/had looked) through the letters before her elder sister got them. 5. He (saw/had seen) a stranger stealing his bike. 6. Ted suddenly remembered that he (forgot/had forgotten) to buy some bread. 7. By the end of the year they (got/had got) ready for their exams. 8. Sam read the book and then (did/had done) his homework.
7. Report what these people asked or said.
1. Kitty said: “I saw a real canoe.”
2. Sam asked: “Did you see the mighty Mississippi?”
3. Bill asked: “Did you visit the desert in California?”
4. Ann said: “Bill represented our class at the conference on the USA.”
8. Complete the sentences using the missing prepositions:
1. If you don’t know the word, look it (for, up, through) in the dictionary.
2. My little brother Paul takes (away, back, after) our mother.
3. Don’t forget to take the books (down, back, off) to the library.
4. At last we gave (out, up, back) the idea of travelling in such bad weather.
5. They made him (off, out, up) as an old man for the last act of the play.
6. When is the time for the airplane to take (down, off, away)?
9. Use particle -to- in these sentences with Complex Object where necessary.
1. I’d like you ____ join in our game. 2. I have never heard anyone ____ sing so well. 3. Did you notice Pauline ____ buy a present for someone? 4. We don’t expect them ____ return before lunchtime. 5. He doesn’t want me ____ climb the hill, he thinks it’s dangerous. 6. The children were made ____ clean the room. 7. Do your parents let you ____ sit up late? 8. Why wasn’t Ann allowed ____ go to Kate’s party? 9. Watch those children____ dance! 10. James felt someone ____ touch his hand in the dark.
10. Прочитай открытку, выяви правила заполнения подобных открыток. Обрати внимание на заполнение адреса.
Напиши открытку. В прошлом месяце ты был в Лондоне, напиши об этой новости своему другу по переписке, который проживает по адресу: Нью-Йорк, дом 3 по улице Winston Avenue, почтовый код GR 145 WX.
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|