Title of the lesson: “Passive Verb Formation. The Simple Present Tense. The Simple Past Tense”
1. to develop educational level of pupils
2. to improve reading, writing, speaking, listening comprehension skills through
3. to improve the pupils grammar, lexical set, to educate pupils interest in learning
I. The organizational moment. Greeting. The report of the pupil on duty.
II. Revision. What do you know about Tenses of Verbs? (in Active Voice,
III. Introduction the theme
So today we are going to talk about “Passive Verb Formation. The Simple
Present Tense. The Simple Past Tense”
IV. Main part. Passive Verb Formation. The passive forms of a verb are created by
combining a form of the "to be verb" with the past participle of the main verb.
The passive can be used, also, in various tenses. Let's take a look at the passive
forms of "design."
will have been
will have been
The Passive Voice
1. The passive is used to describe actions:
a) When we don’t know who does‚ or did the action.
Ex: – My briefcase was stolen last night.
b) When it’s not important to know who does‚ did the action.
Ex:– The cars are taken to Europe every week. (it doesn’t matter who
These televisions аre made in Turkey. (it doesn’t matter who makes
2. The Simple Present Tense
a) The Active Voice:
b) The Passive Voice:
(am‚ is are)
VI. Practice. Turn the sentences into the Passive Voice
1. The students clean the blackboard.
2. The cleaners tidy the teachers’ room.
3. The cleaners empty the wastepaper baskets.
4. A trained driver drives the school bus.
5. A librarian looks after. the library.
6. The ship carries many passengers.
7. My mother loves me.
8. Many people read this writer’s books.
9. The girl needs the chickens.
10. The cat catches the mouse.
11. My sister cleans the dishes.
12. Mary writes the letters.
VII. The Simple Past Tense
The Active Voice:
The Passive Voice:
(was / were)
The Active Voice: Mary cleaned the dishes.
The Passive Voice: The dishes were cleaned by Mary.
VIII. Practice. Change the following sentences into Passive Voice
1. A beggar murdered the old woman.
2. A great artist painted this picture.
3. The girl sold all the flowers.
4. The enemy destroyed the town.
5. Columbus discovered America in 1492.
6. My father sent me to the town.
7. A dark cloud hid the town.
8. The firemen extinguished the fire.
9. Ted sang an old French song.
IX. Conclusion stage. Homework. Marks