• to practise useful vocabulary and expressions;
• to develop students’ reading skills;
• to provide opportunities for developing students’ speaking skills (group
Health is above wealth. What does it mean to be healthy? Some people think
it just means not being sick. But being healthy means feeling good, too. It means
having energy to play and to work. What things must you do to be healthy?
Good health is a gift, it is the responsibility of the individual to maintain that
good health. What is necessary to be healthy?
Introducing the topic
body, diseases, symptoms.
1) Go for a) smoking;
2) look after b) yourself;
3) put on c) your lifestyle;
4) give up d) a check up;
5) keep in e) your teeth;
6) take up f) weight;
7) change g) a sport;
8) brush h) shape.
1) try to work out the meaning of the underlined phrases.
Once a year dad goes to the doctor for a check-up. He went last week and got
a bit of a shock. The doctor told dad he wasn’t looking after himself properly. Apparently
dad has put on weight in the past 12 months and he needed to have a more
balanced diet with more fruit and vegetables, less meat and bread, and fewer potatoes.
He also has to give up smoking completely. The doctor said that he should
keep in shape by taking up some kind of sport. So, dad is going to have change his
a) Just eating hamburgers and chips is no good for you. Y ou need a __ .
b) She looks far too thin. She needs to __ .
c) My aunt __ by going swimming three times a week.
d) I haven’t been to the dentist for about 2 years. I think it’s time for me to have a __ .
e) My sister’s a vegetarian. She __ meat three years ago.
f) I’d like to do something different at weekends. I think I’ll __ cycling.
g) Bill left home when he was 17. He had to learn to __ himself very quickly.
h) Jenny has a wonderful job and earns a lot of money. Many people are envious
for her __ but she’s actually very lonely.
“Which travels faster: heat or cold?”
“Heat because you can catch cold easily”.
2. M o t h e r. You understand me, John, you must not eat any more tonight. It is
dangerous to sleep on a full stomach!
J o h n (her young son). Never mind about that, mother dear, I can sleep on my
Medicines and Health
“Medicines are not meant to live on”, an English proverb says. Yes, that’s true and we may add that good health is better than the best medicine. And if your health is good, you are always in a good mood. You have “a sound mind in a sound body”, as the old Latin saying goes. The English proverb “sickness in the body bring sickness to the mind” expresses a similar idea, but from a different point of view.
Taking medicines is an unpleasant thing, of course, and if you want to avoid it, you should go in for sports and keep yourself fit. Physical exercise is necessary and very important. As doctors say, if a grown-up person doesn’t take exercise, he can easily catch an illness.
Physically inactive people get old earlier than those who have plenty of exercise. If you do daily exercises, you feel refreshed, you have a good posture, and that makes you feel good. So pay attention to the way you stand, walk and sit. Here are some of the rules for health.
- Take long walks in the open air as often as you can.
- Keep your body clean.
- Keep your teeth clean.
- Wear clean clothes.
- Sleep with your window open.
- When you are reading, let the light come from behind your left shoulder.
1) What English proverbs are mentioned in the text?
2) What are medicines?
3) What should we do to avoid taking medicines?
4) Are physical exercises very important? Prove your words.
5) What are the rules for health?
• Why must you wash your hands before you take medicine? How can you catch
• Why must we keep medicines in a place where small children can’t get them?
• Is it advisable not to keep medicine in a warm place? Where should they be
Project a Few Don’ts
The students write down some Don’ts - what a person shouldn’t do to keep
in good health..
e.g. Don’t sneeze or cough when other people are near. Use a handkerchief.
- Don’t neglect a cold, it will be more difficult to cure it if you do.
- Don’t put off going to a doctor when you have pain symptoms.
- Don’t get into the habit of complaining of ill (bad) health.
Write some “Do’s” to keep in good health.
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|