Questions 1-10. Read the text below and choose the correct word for each space. For each question, mark the correct letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet.
Deep sleep is important for everyone. The actual (1) ………. of sleep you need depends (2) ………. your age. A young child (3) ………. to sleep ten to twelve hours, and a teenager about nine hours. Adults differ a lot in their sleeping (4) ………. . For most of them, seven to eight hours a night is (5) ………. , but some sleep longer, while others manage with only four hours.
For a good night, having a comfortable ( 6) ………. to sleep is very important. Also, there should be (7) …….. of fresh air in the room. A warm drink sometimes helps people to sleep, (8) …….. it is not a good idea to drink coffee immediately before going to bed.
(9) …….. you have to travel a very long distance, try to go to bed earlier than usual the day before the (10) ……… . This will help you to feel more rested when you arrive.
1 A size B number C amount D sum
2 A on B to C in D of
3 A could B ought C must D should
4 A ways B habits C manners D actions
5 A few B well C less D enough
6 A point B place C position D part
7 A plenty B much C many D several
8 A because B as C although D even
9 A Since B Until C After D If
10 A journey B voyage C call D visit
Questions 14-18. Read the text and questions below.
For each question, choose the correct answer A, B, C or D.
I`ve always been a bit of an entertainer and played the funny man. I was a part-time comedian for years, so I learned how to stand in front of audiences. It made me sure of myself. I like being liked and I love making everyone smile.
I`ve lived in London all my life and have just moved to a larger house with my wife Claire and our two children, Jimmy and Madeleine. We spend a lot of time just singing and dancing around the house. I grew up with music because my dad is the pianist, Chester Harriott – who`s still playing, by the way. My working day is divided between television and writing cook books, though TV takes most of my time. I spend about five days a fortnight working on the cooking programmes I appear in.
I`m a football fan and enjoy going to matches, but I`m a home-loving person really. I don`t like going to the pub but we do go out to eat about twice a month. There`s nothing better than a night at home playing with the children. I rarely go to bed before midnight. Late evening is when fresh thoughts usually come to me, so I often write or plan my programmes then. When I eventually get to bed, I have no trouble sleeping.
1. What is the writer`s main purpose in writing the text?
A to describe how he lives
B to say what makes him laugh
C to talk about his cooking ideas
D to explain how he started in TV
2. What would a reader learn about Ainsley from the text?
A He is a very good musician.
B He likes to plan the family meals.
C He is nervous about performing on stage.
D He enjoys spending time with his family.
3. What does the writer say about himself?
A He loves going out and meeting people.
B He is very similar to his father.
C He enjoys being popular.
D He should go to bed earlier.
4. What does he say about his working life?
A He would like to appear less on TV.
B He gets his best ideas at certain times.
C He prefers being a comedian.
D He should practise cooking more.
Put the following sentences into the correct tense: Simple Past, Simple Present, Present Continuous or Past Continuous, Present Perfect.
1. I ________ (listen) to the radio while Mary __________ (cook) dinner.
2. You __________ (buy) this book yesterday?
3. Last Friday Jill __________ (go) home early because she __________ (want) to see a film.
4. When your brother usually __________ (get) home in the evening?
5. Jane always __________ (bring) us a nice present.
6. What those people __________ (do) in the middle of the road?
7. You __________ (read) this book?
8. While Fred __________ (sleep), Judy __________ (watch) TV.
9. When I __________ (be) young, I __________ (think) Mary __________ (be) nice — but now I __________ (think) she’s fantastic.
10. Jill __________ (walk) home when she __________ (see) her husband’s car outside the cinema.
11. Look there! Sue and Tim __________ (run) to school.
12. Jack’s father __________ (not work) in London — he __________ (not speak) English.
13. Joe __________ (buy) a car yesterday.
14. Their father often __________ (go) to rock concerts.
15. While you __________ (sleep), mother __________ (arrive).
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|