Listen to the telephone conversation and answer the questions.
Who wanted to speak to Jim?
What message was left?
What’s Pamela’s telephone number?
Was Pamela at home?
Where did Alice invite Pamela?
Read the text and choose the right answer a), b), c) or d).
GOING ON A TRIP
I am Gerald Johnson. I live in California. I'm going to take a trip around the world. I leave for my trip next week. I am getting very excited about it. I'll take a plane from San Francisco to Hawaii. From there I'll take a boat to Japan. I'll visit some friends in Tokyo. I'll spend about a week in Tokyo and then I'll visit a few other cities in Japan. I'll stop in a few other countries in the Far East. I want to see Taiwan. I have some Chinese friends there. I also plan to visit Vietnam. I speak Vietnamese a little and I'll have a good chance to practice the language.
After I leave the Far East, I'm going straight to Europe. I plan to visit France, Italy and Spain. I'll spend about two weeks in Europe. I'll fly straight home from there. The trip will take me about eight weeks. I have lots to do before I'm ready. I'll have to do some shopping because I need some clothes. I think I'll get a new suit and I'll need some good walking shoes, too. Oh, yes, and some film. I'll need to get several rolls of colour film. I want to take a lot of pictures. I need a new suitcase, too.
1. What kind of trip is Gerald going to take?
around Japan b) around the Far East c) around Europe d) around the world
How many countries is Gerald going to visit?
6 b) 7 c) 8 d) 9
What means of transport will Gerald use?
a train and a plain b) a plain and a boat c) a train and a boat d) a plain and a car
How long will the trip last?
a week b) two weeks c) three weeks d) eight weeks
What does Gerald want to buy before the trip?
a lot of pictures b) new shirts c) a new suitcase d) an umbrella
6. Why is Gerald very busy before the trip?
he wants to visit his relatives b) he wants to buy something
he wants to take a lot of pictures d) he wants to learn a foreign language
Answer the questions from the advertisement in written form.
Can you describe yourself in five words?
What would you most like to change in yourself?
What’s you motto?
How do you see yourself in 10 years time?
How do you see our planet in 10 years?
Act out with your partner.
Pupil 1: You call your friend and you would like to invite him/ her to the cinema. But your friend is not at home. Ask his/ her sister/ brother to take a message for your friend.
Pupil 2: Your brother / sister is not at home. But his/ her friend phones him/ her. Take a phone message for your brother/ sister from his/ her friend.
I. Make up the adjectives.
Add –ful,-able, -ly,-ous,-al.
II. Напишите словами порядковые числительные.
5, 8, 12, 30, 42, 50, 98.
III. Choose the correct answer.
They didn’t understand (each other/ one another).
Did you enjoy (to travel/travel/ travelling)?
Would you mind (closing/ to close/ close) the window?
Can I (speak/ speaking/ to speak) to Paul?
Classmates helped (each other/ one another) in that difficult situation.
IV. Выбери правильную форму глагола:
a) I ... a new bike two days ago. (buy, will buy, bought)
b) He often ... to Moscow. (went, goes, will go)
c) My sister ... her mother tomorrow. (helps, helped, will help)
d) They ... very happy last week. (will be, are, were)
V. Put the verbs in the correct form:
1) Look! The boy (to swim) in the river.
2) Diana (to come) to the party tomorrow.
3) His parents (to water) the flowers in the garden now.
4) What you usually (to do) after lessons?
5) She (to see) a very interesting film yesterday.
Listen to the students talking about their reasons for learning English. Fill in the table:
Reason for learning English
Read the text and do the tasks.
1. Everyone knows something about New York – the Statue of Liberty, the skyscrapers, the beautiful shops on Fifth Avenue and many theatres of Broadway. This is America’s cultural capital and her biggest city with a population of nearly eight million. In summer it’s very cold, in winter it can be very cold but there are hundreds of things to do and see all the year round.
2. There are five parts in New York: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Richmond. Only one of them, the Bronx, is not on an island. Manhattan, the smallest island in New York, is the real centre of the city. When people say ‘New York City’ they usually mean Manhattan. Most of the interesting shops, buildings and museums are here, and Manhattan is the scene of New York’s busy night life.
3. Wall Street in Manhattan is the financial heart of the USA and the most important banking centre in the world. It is a street of skyscrapers. Five million people work here every day.
4. Like every big city, New York has its own traffic system. Traffic jams can be terrible, and it’s usually quicker to by subway. It goes to almost every corner of Manhattan. But be careful at night, it’s better not to go by subway. There are more than 30000 taxis in New York. They are easy to see, because they are bright and yellow.
5. If you really have to drive in New York, remember that nearly all the east-west streets and most of the north-south streets are one way only. This can be difficult for the visitor who doesn’t know his way. Try to get a map that shows the directions of the traffic, and good luck!
1. Choose the right answer:
1.What is the population of New York?
a) 5 million c)7 million
b) 6 million d) 8 million
2.Where are many beautiful shops situated in New York?
a) on Broadway c) near the skyscrapers
b) on Fifth Avenue d) not stated
3. What is the real centre of New York?
a) Manhattan c) Richmond
b) the Bronx d) Brooklyn
4. How many taxis are in New York?
a) thirteen c) one thousand
b) thirty d) thirty thousand
2. Mark the statements True (T) or false (F).
1. The Statue of Liberty is situated in London.____________
2. There are two parts in New York._____________
3. There are no problems in New York with traffic jams.__________
4. The population of New York is nearly eight million. ___________
5. Wall Street is in Brooklyn._______________
Write a letter to your pen friend about the country you would like to visit. Use the letter as a model.
Thank you very much for your letter. It was great to hear from you.
You asked me about the country I would like to visit. Well,……..
Write soon and tell me about the country you would like to visit.
Speak on the topic “The reasons of learning English”. Express your own opinion.
Fill in the blanks with the following words. Use only one word in each space.
1. There are 15 ……… in India and thousands of different dialects.
2. The girl …………. a prize for her English translation of the poem.
3. Last summer their family traveled …….Europe by bus.
4. The National Park ………. by thousands of tourists every summer.
5. He ……… his thoughts and began his report.
6. We went to Yakutsk …. last month.
II. Put in the if needed.
5. ….. United States of America
2. …. Netherlands.
6. ….. New Zealand
3. …. Japan.
7. ….. Black Sea.
4. …. Thames.
8. …. Finland
III. a) Put the verbs in the Present Simple Passive.
1. The room …( to clean) every day.
2. I often.( to ask)by the teacher.
3. The new houses …( to build) every year.
b) Put the verbs in the Past or Future Simple Passive
1. This picture … ( to paint) last year.
2. This test … ( to write ) tomorrow.
3. We … ( to tell) this story tomorrow.
4. The new roads … ( to build ) last month.
IV. Write the words into two columns world combinations and its translations:
1. a skyscraper
2. the official emblem
b. родной язык
3. the financial and cultural centre
4. the mother tongue
5. to communicate
e. официальная эмблема
6. the continent
f. кленовый лист
7. a leaf of the maple tree
g. финансовый и культурный центр
8. a population
h. сообщать, общаться
Listen to the story told by an Englishman. Answer the questions:
At what age do students finish school in Britain?
What first foreign language is studied in British schools?
What kind of a subject is Science?
Why is it important to study Russian?
Read the text and answer the questions.
A Day at school
Come and spend a day in an English school! It is nearly 9 on a Monday morning, and the boys and girls are coming to school again, after having had Saturday and Sunday free. Some of them walk to school, and some come on their bicycles, and others, who live further away from the school, come by bus. They are wearing their school uniform.
It is 11 o’clock: time for the mid-morning break. The boys and girls go out into the playground to collect their milk: every boy and every girl at school in England is given a third of a pint of milk every day. When they have drunk their milk, they can play until it is time to go back inside for lessons.
After break, there are more lessons. Then it is one o’clock. Time for lunch! School lunches cost only a shilling. You get meat, potatoes, and a vegetable, and then a pudding of some sort.
The break for lunch lasts about an hour. After lunch, there is still time to go out and play. Lots of children do their homework, so that they will be free in the evening to go out with their friends, or to watch TV.
At 2 o’clock, lessons start again. The children do not do lessons like history, geography and maths: the girls learn to type (печатать), sew (шить) and to cook, and the boys do metal-work and wood-work.
At 3 o‘clock, it is time for games. In English schools, the girls usually play hockey in the winter and tennis in the summer: the boys play football in the winter and cricket in the summer.
Lessons finish at 4. The children collect the books they need to do their homework. Very soon after 4 o’clock, the school is empty. One or two children have to stay behind as a punishment (наказание).
Choose the right variant.
1. The boys and girls are coming to school at ____________________________.
a) 8:30 b) 8 o’clock c) 9 o’clock
2. For the mid-morning break schoolchildren collect their ____________________.
a) milk b) juice c) lemonade
3. After lunch, there is still time _____________________________.
a) to go home b) to watch TV c) to go out and play
2. Find the equivalent to the following phrases.
1. одевать школьную форму –
2. пинта молока –
3. время погулять и поиграть –
3. Using the text, find synonyms to the following phrases.
1. far away from school –
2. get milk –
3. a pudding of different sort –
4. Дополните предложения.
1. They are wearing their school _______________________________.
School lunches cost only ___________________________________.
At 3 o’clock, it is time for ___________________________________.
Write a letter to your pen friend about your school day. Use the letter as a model.
Thank you very much for your letter. It was great to hear from you.
You asked me about my school day. Well,……..
Write soon and tell me about your school day.
Speak on the topic “A real friend. Who is he?”. Express your own opinion.
I. Translate the sentences from English into Russian.
Teachers should have a good sense of humour and make lessons fun and enjoyable.
People must not tell lies in any situation.
We need some sugar and apples to make a pie.
II. Complete the sentences, translate them into Russian.
If the school were far from my house, I (go) there by bus.
If I (live) in India, I would ride an elephant.
If we won the competition, we (get) a prize.
III. Write another sentence with the same meaning using the Passive Voice.
A. Pushkin wrote many poems and tales for children.
We will paint the wall with a brush.
Students use dictionaries at the English lessons.
IV. Choose the correct answer.
How many students (learn/ study) English in your class?
Must I (learn/ study) this rule? Yes, you must.
She is a (quite/ quiet) girl.
I am (quite/ quiet) ready. We can go.
Complete each sentence with one of the words below.
free, student, compulsory, lines, suspension, solve, Mathematics, education (2), school
If all children must go to school to get secondary 1) … , it means that secondary education is 2) … . In Russia, Britain, Australia and in most developed countries secondary education is compulsory. A 3) … is a person getting education either at 4) … or University. Process of getting knowledge we call 5) … . It can be secondary or higher, paid or 6) … . A task to write some sentence many times is 7) …, it used as a kind of punishment. 8) … is a kind of punishment, when a student is not allowed to come to school for a few days or weeks. A school subject, when students must count, 9) … problems and do difficult tasks is 10) … .
Listen to the students talking about keeping fit. Fill in the table.
1. Read the text and match the headings with the paragraphs.
A. The vitamins make your bones hard.
B. Tastes differ.
C. You can’t live without food.
D. Vitamins and the ABC.
Eating is fun, especially when you are hungry. Most people have a favourite food. Some people enjoy eating sweet things like cakes, chocolates and ice cream. Other people enjoy savoury foods like cheese and meet. Enjoying eating is our body’s way of making sure that it gets the things it needs to work properly.
Food helps us to keep warm, gives us the energy to walk, talk, run and do all the other things we do. It helps us to grow and stay healthy.
Vitamins also help us to be healthy. Scientists name vitamins after the letters of the alphabet. All of them are very important, for example: vitamin C keeps our skin and gums healthy. It is found in fresh fruit and green vegetables, such as oranges, blackcurrants, lettuce. Brussels sprouts and spinach also contain a lot of vitamin C.
Vitamin D helps our bones to grow strong and hard, and we are able to make it for ourselves if our skin gets enough sunlight. But we can also get vitamin D if we eat fish, milk, butter, cheese and margarine. Some people buy pills or tablets vitamins. But most of us get more than enough of them from our food.
2. Are the sentences true (T) or false (F)?
1. When we enjoy eating our body gets everything to work well. ______
2. To get vitamins you need to buy pills. _______
3. Vitamin C is important for our skin. _______
4. You can get vitamin D only when eating special food. ________
Write a short story of what you do (or would like to do) to be fit (not more than 6 sentences).
Speak about the advantages of doing sports. Use the information from the unit.
I. Complete each sentence with one of the words below.
bad, tongue, ill, nose, temperature, medicine, cough, runny, flu, bed
Doctor: Well, what’s the matter with you?
John: Oh, doctor. I’m very 1) … .
Doctor: Then show me your 2) … . Have you taken your 3) … ? What is it?
John: Doctor! It’s 38.3, and I feel 4) …, I have got a 5) … and a 6) … 7) … .
Doctor: Well, I think you have got 8) … . Take 9) … and stay in 10) … .
John: Goodbye, doctor. Thanks a lot.
Doctor: Be healthy.
II. Complete the sentences. Choose the correct answer.
The stadium was (near/ nearly) full.
Do you think (high/ highly) of sport?
Has she worked hard (late/ lately)?
Mary is (hard/hardly) student in Math in her class.
Match the parts of the words.
1. foot A. ball
2. ice B. skiing
3. table C. skating
4. kick D. ball
5. figure E. tennis
6. hand F. skating
7. water G. boxing
IV. Choose the right form:
1. If you stay here a little longer, you … (see) him.
a) visit b) will visit c) visited
2. My younger brother … to bed at ten o’clock yesterday.
a) went b) go c) goed
3. Is … Indian Ocean bigger than … Atlantic Ocean?
4. The man … answered the phone was really rude.
a) who b) which c) when
5. Hockey … in winter.
a) was played b) are played c) is played
6. If I had the money, I … that car.
a) buy b) would buy c) will buy
7. My brother … his face every morning.
a) washed b) wash c) washes
8. The CD … you gave me for my birthday is my favourite now.
a) who b) which c) why
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|