I. Transform these phrases into the substantivized adjectives.
II. Translate the words.
Государство всеобщего благосостояния.
По сниженным ценам.
III. Choose the correct variant.
He is ___ as a programmist for a company
employed b) employment c) employee
The lowest_____ rate is in the UK.
unemployment b) employee c) employment
___ people are usually reduced to begging.
jobless b) job c) joblessness
His long-term ____ made his family be in despair.
a) jobless b) job c) joblessness
5. She was____ very well at her company.
a) pay b) paid c) payment
6. ___ help is very important for those whose income is below poverty level.
a) finance b) financial c) fiancée
IV. Add one word to make word combinations.
the shortage of
V. Replace the highlighted words with the synonyms.
There are a few payments which are paid to the different categories of people in Russia.
VI. Fill in the right word.
_______ Russia has a public health care we have a private sector too.
You can get dentist treatment in Britain, _____ being poor.
My dad was long-term unemployed ________ a serious illness.
A lot of people in different countries are entitled to benefits, ____ some people refuse to accept help.
because of while although in spite of
1. Come on! Don’t walk _ slowly.
2. I’ve never read _ a stupid book.
3. She is very attractive girl. She’s got _ beautiful eyes.
4. The wind was _ strong, it was difficult to walk.
5. It was _ a boring film that I fell asleep in the middle of it.
VIII. Fill in the prepositions “among” or “between”.
1. The village_ the field and the river is just ours.
2. They found the boy _ the boats on the bank of the river.
3. The story is the best _ the others.
4. He’s the cleverest person _ the classmates.
5. The five great lakes lie_ the USA and Canada.
IX. Fill in the correct form of the verb.
1.The channels (to devote) _ to more specialized topics.
2. My Mum (to do) aerobics for a year and she To look) _ greate.
3. She (to read) _ the book since morning.
4. My friend (to win) _ a competition.
5. Jack (to arrive) _ just home.