расширение объема и углубление лингвострановедческих и страноведческих знаний о странах изучаемого языка, их науке и культуре, исторических и современных реалиях, общественных деятелях, месте этих стран в мировом сообществе, мировой культуре;
развитие умений участвовать в беседе, запрашивать и обмениваться информацией;
совершенствование ранее сформированных слухо-произносительных и ритмико - интонационных навыков;
дальнейшего развития слушания и понимания высказываний собеседника.
Nice to see all of you! Today we are going to have a quiz.
We’ll discuss different items concerning two countries: the UK and the USA.
I asked you to split in 2 teams. Our teachers will be our jury and score your points. Try to get as many points as you can. The team with the highest score will be the winner. I ask you to respect each other and work in turn. Let’s begin with the greeting.
Tell us your name, your motto.
Captain 1. Our team: « ____________».
Our motto: «_______________».
Captain 2. Our team: « _____________».
Our motto: «_______________».
Teacher: Our first round is called “ Warming up”.
I will ask you questions and you will answer them in turn. The first question will be for “_________”, the second – for « _________», the third – again for “_________” and so on. But if the team doesn`t know the answer – the other team may help and get the point:
1. Name the capital of Scotland (Edinburgh)
2. Name the national musical instrument in Scotland (a bagpipe)
3. Give the name of a famous American producer and cartoon-maker (Walt Disney)
4. Name the capital of Northern Ireland (Belfast)
5. The river in London (the Thames)
6. Who is Henry Ford? (the founder of the first model “Ford”)
7. What is the complete name of Great Britain? (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
8. Who was the King of rock-n-roll? (Elvis Presley)
9. What holiday is celebrated on the 31 of October?( Halloween)
10. How many countries does the UK consist of? ( 4 )
11.In what American state is Hollywood situated? ( state California)
12. Who lived in Sherwood Forest? (Robin Hood)
13. What are the main colours of the English flag? (blue, red, white)
14. The English woman-writer known as “the Queen of detective stories” (Agatha Christie)
15. The Head of State in the UK (the Monarch)
16. The Head of State in the USA (the President)
17. The legislative branch in the UK (Parliament)
18. The legislative branch in the USA (Congress)
19. The executive branch in the UK (the Government)
20. The executive branch in the USA (the President and Cabinet)
Teacher: The second round is “Proverbs”. It is important to know words of wisdom. Your task is to match the English proverbs with the Russian ones.
Сопоставьте английские пословицы с русскими
1. A good name is better than riches.
2. He will never set the Thames on fire.
3. Make hay while the sun shines.
4. Live and learn.
5. An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening.
A. Куй железо пока горячо.
Б. Добрая слава лучше богатства.
B. Век живи, век учись.
Г. Утро вечера мудренее.
Д. Он пороха не выдумает.
Ключи: 1Б, 2Д, 3А, 4В, 5Г.
The team which will be the right and first may have the additional point.
Let`s check the proverbs.
Teacher: The third round is “Cities”. There are a lot of cities in the UK and in the USA. Your task now is to make up the names of the cities out of 2 parts.
Ключи: Liverpool, Cambridge, Newcastle, Belfast, London, Hartford, Boston, Charleston, Lancing, Richmond
Teacher: The fourth round is Quiz about the countries. You will answer the questions. The first question is for “________”, the second – for “___________” and so on.
Who discovered America?
A. Christopher Columbus
B. George Washington
С. The pilgrims
2. Who was the first president of the USA?
A. Abraham Lincoln
B. George Washington
3. What is the national symbol of America?
A. The rose
B. The bald eagle
C. The shamrock
4. Which is the USA capital?
A. New York city
B. Los Angeles
5. Where is the Statue of Liberty?
A. New York
6. The American flag has:
A. 13 stripes
B. 30 stripes
C. 50 stripes
7. When do Americans celebrate Independence Day?
A. July, 4
B. December, 25
C. February, 14
8. How many states are there in America?
9. The Statue of Liberty was a gift from:
Which kind of sport is a typical American invention?
Where did Beatles come from?
What is the name of the present British Queen?
A. Elizabeth I.
C. Elizabeth II.
What is the “Union Jack”
A. The national flag of the UK.
B. Trade union organization.
Who is the Prime Minister of Great Britain at рresent?
A. David Cameron
B. Margaret Thatcher.
C. Prince Charles.
What is the song the Scottish people sing at the parties?
A. “Jingle Bells”.
B. “Should Auld Acquaintance be forgot”.
Where is the national Shakespeare Theatre?
A. In London.
B. In Birmingham.
C. In Stratford-upon-Avon.
17. What is the largest park in London?
A. Hyde Park
B. Regent`s Park
C. Green Park
18. Choose the real governing body of
A. the House of Lords
B. the House of Commons
C. a political party
19. The American state separated from the others geographically is :
20. The official residence of the American President is…
A. The White House
B. The Capitol
C. Buckingham Palace
21. What is the state system of the United Kingdom (the UK)?
a) constitutional monarchy
b) a parliamentary republic
c) a limited monarchy
22. What chambers does the British Parliament consist of?
a) the Senate and the House of Representatives
b) the House of Lords and the House of Commons
c) the Cabinet of Ministers and the Shadow Cabinet.
23. Where does the British Premier live and work?
a. at 10 Downing Street
b. in the Houses of Parliament
c. in Buckingham Palace
24. What universities have the highest academic reputation in the United Kingdom?
Oxford University and Cambridge University
London University and Bristol University
25. What is the London residence of Queen Elizabeth II?
the Tower of London
26. Where are British kings crowned?
in St. Paul’s Cathedral
in Westminster Abby
in Canterbury Cathedral
27. What is the Scottish national costume for men?
28. What lake does the famous Scottish monster in?
29. What country is called a land of castles and princes?
30. Who is the third President of USA?
a) Thomas Jefferson
b) John Adams
c) Abraham Lincoln
31. Which State of USA was once part of Mexico?
c) New York
32. What is the number of states in the USA?
33. Which city is known as the Big Apple?
a) Los Angeles
b) Washington D.C.
c) New York
34. In which year man stepped on the Moon for the first time?
35. Which is the first 24 hours news channel in the USA?
c) Star News
36. Which is the tallest building in the USA?
a) Empire State
b) Sears Tower
c) White House
37. What is the name of the most famous American boxer of the 1960s?
a) "Mike" Tyson
b) "Joe" Frazier
c) Kostya Tszyu
38. The Great Gatsby was written by…
a) Jerome David Salinger
b) Agatha Christie
c) Mark Twain
d) Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald
39. What was the first American University?
a) Harvard College
b) University of Illinois
40. Who gave his name to America?
a) Cristoforo Colombo
b) Abraham Lincoln
c) Amerigo Vespucci
Teacher: The fifth round is called “Sights”.
Let`s look at them: two are English and two are American. Each team should find theirs and give some information about them.
Teacher: Now, students, this is the end of our quiz. While jury is counting your points we are going to have a musical pause.
Teacher: Now it`s the time to declare the winners of today`s game. (Слово – жюри).
Congratulations to the team…You were the best! But the team… was also great!
Thanks a lot to everyone for taking part in our quiz. You demonstrated good knowledge of the topics “the UK” and “the USA”. I want to give you some sweets as a treat.
Thanks to all of you for coming,
For taking part and learning something!
And I hope that games like this
You will never ever miss!
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|