Международный конкурс "Мириады открытий"
(конкурс сразу по 24 предметам за один оргвзнос)
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
Level – upper-intermediate 11 класс
- to make students more aware of the subject
- to encourage them to use new words and expressions; involve them in discussion.
- to focus their attention on specific words and word combinations that can make them feel more comfortable and confident in language use.
- to develop student’s skills in reading on the basis of an interesting text
- to encourage them to develop good reading strategies
- to help the learners to consolidate and develop their vocabulary by active use of the words given
- to develop student’s ability to listen effectively
- to provide opportunities for developing speaking skills (free discussion, interview).
I. There is a widespread feeling among the public that crime is increasing. It is generally accepted that in the last quarter of the 20-th century the number of crimes went up. And the fear of crime seems to have increased a lot. This has gone together with a lack of confidence in the ability of the police to catch criminals.
What factors Influence the growth of criminal cases?
Worsening of economic situation: people try illegal jobs to make money.
Growth of unemployment: those who are cut out of work try to take their revenge on those who are not cut off from the mainstream economy. They attack them in the streets and in their homes.
Usage of too much alcohol and drugs.
Ethnic fights: immigration has become a common place. People migrate to other countries in search of higher salaries, new jobs, better life. Those ethnic groups are very often opposed by residents of these countries.
- X-films they are full of macabre details; murder/ crime, violence on the screen have become available to people. These films affect the human's psychics and can provoke violence and crime in real life
- Juvenile offenders they are increasing in number, due to unhappy families, lack of public attention to then problems. Young people are willing to express themselves, as a result they oppose the society, proclaim anarchy and destruction, upset people by using bad language, insult authorities. They are violent and are proud of this fact; get involved in battles with each other and the police. Very often their behaviour is a form of vandalism.
II. Vocabulary work
T: Before speaking on the subject, let’s analyse and define some specific words which can be useful in our further work.
CRIMES. Read and remember the words denoting different crimes:
Murder — killing a person illegally and on purpose.
Manslaughter — killing sb without intending to do
Rape — forcing sb to have sex, when he/she does not want to.
Assault — a sudden attack on sb/sth.
Arson — setting fire to a building on purpose.
Bank robbery — stealing from a bank.
Burglary — entering a building illegally in order to steal.
Treft — taking sth that belongs to another person secretly and without permission.
Kidnapping — taking sb away by force and demand money for his/her safe return.
Embezzlement — stealing money, etc. that you are responsible for (eg, In a firm or organization).
Bribery - the crime, dealing with money, etc. that & given to sb such as on official to persuade him/ her to do sth to help you, especially when you warn Mm/ her to do sth dishonest.
Forgery — copying a document, signature, paint ing etc in order to deceive people.
Fraud — deceiving or tricking sb in order to get money, etc, in a way that is against the law.
Swindling - cheating 8b (in order to get money, etc.)
Perjury- telling a lie (in a court of law)
16. Slander making on untrue spoken statement about sb that is intended to damage the good opinion that other people have of him/her.
17. Blackmail - the crime of forcing a person to give you money or do sth for you, usually by threatening to make known sth, which they want to keep secret.
18. Shoplifting — taking something from a shop without paying for it,
19. Mugging using violence to take money from a person in the street.
20.Terrorism — using violence for political purposes.
21. Smuggling- taking things into or out of a country in a way, which is against the law, taking a person into or out of a place in secret.
1. In pairs, look at the words below which are all crimes. Which are the most serious of there crimes? Put them in order. Give the definitions of the words.
Murder / burglary / shoplifting / smuggling / bank robbery / mugging / kidnapping / terrorism
2. In pairs, read about four crimes and say which they are from the list above. Put them in order of seriousness.
Susan has five small children and very little money she stole from a supermarket.
Samantha is a professional burglar. She stole a lot of silver from the house of a rich’ family.
Eric needed a lot of money for a medical opera- on for his mother. He robbed a bank to get it.
Mr. Smith smuggled his pet dog into Britain.
Make up your own situations on crimes using the words frот the list
Match the crimes and their definitions
3.Possession of a firearm
4.Possession of a knife
9. Domestic violence
To sell illegal substances
To carry a knife
To damage property of no reason
To steal a car to drive for pleasure
To ask for money because you are poor
To assault a member of you family
To steal from someone’s bag or pocket
To paint or write illegally
To take a train/bus without paying
To carry a gun
To drive after drinking too much alcohol
Home task. Solve the problem.
Johny, Micky and Sonny have each been accused of a different crime. The three charges are murder, armed robbery and theft. Study the facts and find the solution to the problem!
Who was charged with which crime? Who was convicted? Which of the three did not go to prison?
The murderer was charged was sentenced to life imprisonment. Johny was charged with a crime of violence.
The man charged with theft was convicted.
Micky was not tried for murder.
The man who was not sentenced to imprisonment was not convicted.
Sony was not accused of theft or armed robbery.
The man who was not tried for a crime of violence was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment.
57 вебинаров для учителей на разные темы
ПЕРЕЙТИ к бесплатному просмотру
(заказ свидетельства о просмотре - только до 11 декабря)
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|