Grandmother lay back on her pillow, a comfortable look on her face.
"I feel much better today," she said. "I don't think my appendix will have to be removed." She beamed happily. "But it was nice of the minister to call and see me."
"Grandma, that wasn't the minister. That was a doctor from the city who examined you."
"Oh," granny replied. "I thought he was a little familiar for a minister."
* * *
Professor: "What kept you out of class yesterday — acute indigestion?"
Student: "No, a cute engineer."
Give names for the indicated parts of the head.
1. abdomen -
2. biceps -
3. elbow -
4. hip -
5. palm -
6. thumb -
7. Adam's apple -
8. bottom -
9. forearm -
10. knee -
11. shoulder -
12. toe -
13. ankle -
14. breast -
15. groin -
16. navel -
17. thigh -
18. waist -
19. armpit -
20. calf -
21. heel -
22. nipple -
23. throat -
24. wrist -
Choose the correct answer.
1. The PUPIL is part of the ....... .
2. The SOLE is part of the ....... .
3. The CALF is part of the ....... .
4. The WRIST is part of the ....... .
5. The IRIS is part of the ....... .
6. The HEEL is part of the ....... .
7. The PALM is part of the .......
8. The NIPPLE is part of the ....... .
9. The THUMB is part of the ....... .
10. The SHIN is part of the ....... .
Give names of the bodily organs indicated in the picture below.
Match the following parts of the body with the Jumbled definitions on the right.
1. kidney -
2. lung -
3. liver -
4. heart -
5. brain -
6. intestine -
7. appendix -
8. tonsils -
9. rib -
10. stomach -
11. jaw -
12. throat -
a. organ in the head which controls thought and feeling
b. long pipe leading from the stomach which takes waste matter from the body
c. two small, fleshy organs in the throat
d. baglike organ in which food is broken down for use by the body
e. one of twenty-four bones protecting the chest
f. one of a pair of organs which separate waste liquid from the blood
g. one of two bony parts of the face in which teeth are set
h. large organ which cleans the blood
i. one of a pair of breathing organs in the chest
j. passage from the back of the mouth down inside the neck
k. short organ of little use which leads off the large intestine
l. organ in the chest which controls the flow of blood by pushing it round the body
Choose one of the four possibilities that best completes the sentence.
1. He must be terribly strong! Look at his ....... .
2. He stood with his hands on his ....... daring me to go past him.
3. Every tooth in my upper ....... seemed to be aching.
4. When Mary twisted her ankle, John carried her home on his ....... .
5. His shoes were so old that his ....... were sticking out of them.
6. The blind man ran the ....... of his fingers over the box.
7. When people sweat, the liquid comes out through the ....... of the skin.
8. The ....... is the main air passage of the body.
9. The main function of the heart is to ....... blood round the body.
10. Arnold Schwartzeneger has an enormous chest ....... .
b) Study Dictionary and check your answers. Write them down.
Exercise 8 a) Study Dictionary and check your answers. Write them down.
Positive Body Language to adopt
shaking hands firmly
Negative Body Language to avoid
hiding your hands and palms
slouching in your seat
crossing your arms and legs
looking at your watch
learning towards the door
rubbing your nose
avoiding your interlocutor’s gaze
b) Work in pairs – student A shows examples of body language, student B defines his messages.
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|