1. Pupils are busily engaged in producing visual English words simultaneously
across the page in front of them during the activity.
2. Pupils are active after the activity in their self-connection or collaboration
connection phase, providing them with opportunities to learn from peers.
3. Dictation leads to oral communicative activities if the lesson is planned to
dictate an interactive text in which pupils not only write down what they
hear, but also react to it in writing. Following the dictation writing activity,
pupils work in pairs or small groups to compare and discuss their answers
4. The teacher reads out a number of words at normal or very high speed
while pupils help each other to reconstruct the full list of the words and create a story.
5. Dictation is effective with pair dictation or mixed-ability groups and it also
develops individual differences. The most advanced pupils are asked to dictate
the text without help while the less able pupils listen and fill in the various
number of missing words in their provided text. At the end of the lesson, the
advanced pupils explain the text to the less able ones and check the words
they have to fill in.
6. Dictation is one of the few approaches to teaching and learning in the large
group context that has a reasonable chance of engaging pupils in active
7. Dictation helps classroom management to involve everybody including
the pupils and the teacher.
8.Dictation gives your students a clear model of pronunciation and allows them to practice their listening and writing skills
9. Dictation gives pupils access to interesting text. Teachers select different
interesting text for pupils other than text from pupils' textbooks, and employ
techniques to increase or decrease the difficulty of the text to match the
interest, needs and ability of their pupils.
-There are 2 main types of dictation ‘ teacher to teacher”, and “learner to learner” one. “Teacher to teacher type is divided in 2 categories independent and collaborative. Independent is considered to be the traditional and is very teacher-centered. Teacher dictates some passage, grammar sentences, phonics ( The material depends on the teacher objectives) and students provide the written record of them.
-Collaborative type means that after teacher dictating, students work in pairs or groups.
-And learner to learner dictation implies pair or group work of students. The role of teacher here is only monitoring or supporting if it is necessary. For my students this approach is most enjoyable and exciting.
Types of dictation:
learner to learner dictation is running dictation- Someone has got a piece of paper where is written a reader , someone’ got a write. Get a pair, in each pair should be one reader and one writer.
Instructions- who is a reader , you run and read sentences only on a green piece of paper, then you come back to your partner .
The writer writes what you say.
-When the reader finishes reading all “green sentences”. You swap the roles, now the writer run and dictates ‘PINK SENTENCES”.
2) One of the collaborative types of dictation is dictogloss.( to write on the board). Dictogloss is less teacher-centered and supposes student’s work in pairs or group. -Listen once(the teacher is dictating a story) and choose the best title for this story. Do not write anything. -Listen twice and write only some notes. Do not write the whole sentences.
- In pairs reconstruct the story using your notes and write.
3) Shouting dictation refers to learner to learner type( to write on the board)
-To divide the participants in 2 groups .
-You have got a passage with gaps. Your partner has got the appropriate words. You read it loudly, your partner listens to you carefully and helps you to fill the gaps. Then swap the roles.
4) Tape-recorder dictation refer teacher to learner independent type( to write on the board)
Imagine I am a tape-recorder( to draw on the board the buttons). I am dictating you the text, If you want me to pause you say “pause”, if you want me to continue you say “play”, If you want me to stop you say “stop”.
5) Sound-effects dictation refers computer to learner type, which is used most of the times by major of teacher.( to write on the board)
You are listening to some interesting sounds.
First time you just listen
While listening second time you are writing some notes. Do not write whole sentences.
-create a story in a group
6) Picture dictation refers to learner to learner dictation.
To divide students in pairs “A” ‘B”.
-Sit back to back. Describe your partner a picture, a partner should write. You’ve got 4 minutes each, then swap the roles.
Wild dictation refers teacher to learner independent type.
-Pointing to the board to tell students that they are going to think of 7 words, № 1-the place ,where people might live........
-I’ m DICTATING you a little text. When I say number 1, you write the word which you’ve come up with
-For example. A car drove up to the zoo and suddenly stopped № 1 got out.
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|