Описание презентации по отдельным слайдам:
British and Kazakh beliefs 10th grade The 22nd of January, 2014
The Procedure of the lesson : 1- To test the learnt material 2- Revision of the modal verbs 3- New words of the texts 4- To divide the superstitions for their meaning 5- To translate the text into Kazakh 6- To fulfill the Venn’s diagram 7- Complete the sentences
Test yourself 1. What kind of state is Great Britain? a) federal b) unitary c) democratic 2. Where the highest mountain of the UK is situated? a) In England b) in Wales c) in Scotland 3. The first tribes of Great Britain are …. a) massagets b) Normans c) German tribes 4. England is a ____________ country. a) lowland b) desert c) highland
5. Find the Kazakh equivalent of the word “remain”. a) сол қалпында қалу в) қалып қою с) тұрақты 6. Find the Kazakh equivalent of the word “expansion”. a) көріну в) кеңею, даму с) қалыпты 7. Find the English equivalent of the word “тұру, орналасу”. а) to live b) to leave c) to settle 8. Find the Kazakh equivalent of the word “subjugation”. a) нәресте в) тоқсан с) бас ию, көну
The key 1-b 5- a 2- c 6- b 3- c 7- c 4- a 8- c
Modal verbs 1. The modal verbs of obligation and necessity ( міндеттілік пен қажеттілік): Болымды түрі Болымсыз түрі Must Mustn’t / needn’t Have to Don’t have to / needn’t Need Needn’t / don’t need
2. The modal verbs of advice and mild obligation (ақыл-кеңес және жеңіл міндеттілік): Should shouldn’t Ought to ought not to / oughtn’t to Had better hadn’t better ‘d better (would better) ‘d not better to
3. The modal verbs of possibility ( мүмкіндік): May may not Might might not (mightn’t) Can can’t Could couldn’t
New words for writing and remembering: text №1 1.Superstition- [sjupǝstiʃǝn] - наным- сенім 2.Pinch - [pintʃ] - бір шымшым 3.Contradictory- [¸kɔntrǝ`diktǝri] -кері, қарама-қарсылық 4.Believe - [bi`li:v] - сенім
Superstitions- Do you believe in them? Please divide into two groups. Take the sheets of paper per student by one paper and read it by yourself. Then explain it with mime (мимика) to your group. The members of your group must find out the superstition. You may read the exercise 11, p-112. Divide them for their meaning.
Divide them for their meaning. Obligation Advice Possibility
British beliefs You must not open an umbrella inside the house. It may bring bad luck. 2. Two women should not pour tea from the same pot if they want to have a baby. 3. If you are asked for the salt, you must not hand it to the other person. You must put it down on the table. 4. You ought not to light three cigarettes from one match. The last one will have bad luck.
5. You should not put your shoes on the table,there might be an argument. 6. When you spill salt, you must throw three pinches of salt over your left shoulder. 7. When you have to return home after you’ve started a journey, you’d better sit down and count to ten. 8. You ought to tie an old shoe to the back of the car in which a newly- married couple are. It brings them good luck.
New words for writing and remembering: text №2 “Kazakh beliefs” 5. Cauldron [kɔldrǝn ] қазан 6. Spill [spil ] төгу 7. Slip [slip ] түсіріп алу 8. Scanty [skænti ] жеткіліксіз 9. Omen [ǝumǝn] белгі
10. Horse mane [hɔ:smein ] аттың жалы 11. Trim [trim] кесу, тегістеу 12. Mourning [mɔ:niƞ] қайғылы 13. Destiny [ destini] тағдыр 14. Escape [ iskeip] кету, құтылу 15. Pregnant [prignǝnt] жүкті әйел
Do you believe in beliefs? Do you know Kazakh beliefs? Exercise:15 Read the text and translate it. ( the paragraphs 2, 3, 5, 6, 7)
Complete the Venn’s diagram. British beliefs Similarities Kazakh beliefs 1- 2- 3- 1- 2- 3- 1- 2- 3
Exercise 15 d) Complete the exercise. We often make adjectives from nouns by adding -less, -full. Taste (n) – tasteless (adj) Care (n) – Success (n) – Fruit (n) –
Find the equivalents of these proverbs: a) “One can be senior in age but nobody is senior of food” b) “Food is men’s support”
Yesterday I received a letter from England. The English boy Jacky wrote about some superstitions. You should find the missed modal verbs. _________________________________ The black cat ___________cross your road. One ________take care when putting a kettle on fire. You ______not hand the salt to you friend. You _______not leave the book opened.
Home task: -Learn the new words by heart. -Try to write about different nations’ superstitions.
My dear students, it’s time to finish our lesson. You’ve learned a lot about Kazakh and British beliefs, superstitions. Please, express your opinion about our lesson.