Spotlight 8 Module 3
A. Choose the correct word to fill in the gaps.
a) Please, help me to ---- this sofa, it’s very heavy.
b) If you want to say something, don’t shout, just ---- your hand.
2. discovered/found out
a) After a few minutes of the lecture, the professor ---- that nobody was listening to him.
b) Who exactly ---- America? Christopher Columbus or Amerigo Vespucci?
a) I had been looking for a good ---- before I found one.
b) Sorry, can’t speak now, have a lot of ---- to do.
a) My ---- is not too good, I earn about a thousand euros per month.
b) Your ---- depends on how many pizzas you will deliver.
a) Mr Smith is extending his company, so he needs to hire more ----.
b) His ---- gave him the pay rise, now he gets 150 ponds more.
B. Fill in the missing words.
sound overtime freelancer moved came change
6. Soon the brothers ---- to the conclusion that it was heat but not smoke that lifted things.
7. What I like about working as a ---- is that I don’t have to stay in the office.
8. Her husband got a new job in the other city, so they had to ---- there.
9. The animals landed safe and ---- before the eyes of a huge crowd.
10. As his father is a military man, John has to ---- schools quite often.
11. Mary has worked ---- every day this week as it’s the busiest time in the company.
C. Put the verbs in brackets into the past perfect or the past perfect continuous.
12. A: Jack looked really tired yesterday.
B: No wonder, he (work) on the computer all night
13. A: Did Sally help you do the project?
B: No, by the time she came, we (finish) it already.
D. Put the verbs into the past simple, past continuous, past perfect or past perfect continuous.
14. We overslept and when at last we arrived at the station, our train (leave) already.
15. She (try) to call him for an hour before she managed to get through to him.
16. He (not come) to us yesterday, but we hope he will come today.