Progress check(11 form)
I. Choose the correct item.
1.( Although/Despite) Nick eats eggs, his sister won’t touch it.
2. I can’t stand classical music, (whereas/ in spite of) my mother loves it.
3. (Although/Despite) it was snowing, the road was clear.
4. Peter loves playing football, (while/despite) Tom prefers basketball.
5. ( Although/Despite) the traffic, we made it to school on time.
6. (In spite of/ Although) the fact that I didn’t study, I passed the exam.
II. Make new sentences from these questions.
1. When will Frank arrive? Could you tell me…?
2. Why were you laughing? Can you tell me…?
3. Where I can change some money? I wonder…
4. What qualifications do I need? Have you got any idea…?
III. Complete the sentences with words discount, emergencies, widowed, welfare, pensions, entitled. There is one extra word.
1. They both have their… to live on that they’re retired.
2. Do I get a … if I buy a whole case of wine?
3. Mothers under 16 were … a maternity grant of 25$ a week.
4. Lifeguards are trained to deal with… .
5. She was … at the age of 40.