The passive voice test
1. Change the sentences according to example:
E.g.: Shakespeare wrote “Romeo and Juliet”. – “Romeo and Juliet” was written by Shakespeare.
Popov invented radio in Russia.
Every four years people elect a new president in the USA.
The police caught a bank robber last night.
Sorry, we don’t allow dogs in our safari park.
My mum has made a delicious cherry pie for dinner.
George didn’t repair my clock.
Wait a little, my neighbor is telling an interesting story.
My son can write some more articles about football.
You must clean your bedroom tonight.
2. Rewrite the sentences into negatives.
Ann was bitten by a homeless dog.
The zoo is being reconstructed at the moment.
The luggage must be checked at the customs.
Souvenirs are sold everywhere.
The job will be finished at 3 o’clock.
3. Rewrite sentences in active voice.
1. Return tickets should have been reserved two weeks ago.
2. Two single rooms had been booked for the friends by their travel agent.
3. The pyramids are being ruined by the tourists.
4. The new sofa will have been delivered by noon.
5. When will Molly be told the time of his arrival?
6. Why hasn’t my car been repaired yet?
7. An ancient settlement has been uncovered by archaeologists.
8. Hundreds of rare birds are killed every day.
9. The picnic was ruined by bad weather.
10. Who were these roses planted for?
4. Open the brackets using the verb in Present, Past or Future Simple Passive.
1. Bread (to eat) every day. 2. The letter (to receive) yesterday. 3. Nick (to send) to Moscow next week. 4. I (to ask) at the lesson yesterday. 5.I (to give) a very interesting book at the library last Friday. 6. Many houses (to build) in our town every year. 7. This work (to do) tomorrow. 8. This text (to translate) at the last lesson. 9. These trees (to plant) last autumn. 10. Many interesting games always (to play) at our PT lessons. 11. This bone (to give) to my dog tomorrow. 12. We (to invite) to a concert last Saturday. 13. My question (to answer) yesterday. 14. Hockey (to play) in winter. 15. Mushrooms (to gather) in autumn. 16. Many houses (to burn) during the Great Fire of London. 17. His new book (to finish) next year. 18. Flowers (to sell) in shops and in the streets. 19. St. Petersburg (to found) in 1703.
5. Rewrite the sentences in Passive Voice, paying attention to the preposition’s place.
E.g. We often speak about her. — She is often spoken about.
1. We thought about our friend all the time. 2. The doctor will operate on him in a week. 3. The teacher sent for the pupil's parents. 4. They looked for the newspaper everywhere. 5. Nobody slept in the bed. 6. The neighbor asked for the telegram. 7. Everybody listened to the lecturer with great attention. 8. The senior students laughed at the freshman. 9. The group spoke to the headmistress yesterday. 10. The young mothers looked after their babies with great care. 11. Nobody lived in that old house. 12. They sent for Jim and told him to prepare a report on that subject.
6. Open the brackets using the verb in Active or Passive Voice.
1. Nobody (to see) him yesterday. 2. The telegram (to receive) tomorrow. 3. He (to give) me this book next week. 4. The answer to this question can (to find) in the encyclopedia. 5. We (to show) the historical monuments of the capital to the delegation. 6. You can (to find) interesting information about the life in the USA in this book. 7. Budapest (to divide) into two parts: Buda and Pest. 8. Yuri Dolgoruki (to found) Moscow in 1147. 9. Moscow University (to found) by Lomonosov. 10. We (to call) Zhukovski the father of Russian aviation.
7. Translate into English using Passive Voice.
1. Ее отправили в больницу два дня назад. 2. Вчера нас послали в лабораторию. 3. Это сочинение было написано на прошлой неделе. 4. Эту книгу взяли из библиотеки только вчера. 5. Этих трех студентов спросили два дня тому назад. 6. Вас экзаменовали утром? 7. Эта мышь была поймана ночью. 8. Телеграмму послали поздно вечером, и он получит ее только утром. 9. Эту статью должна прочитать вся группа. 10. Это
yпражнение можно написать карандашом. 11. Все ваши сочинения будут возвращены на будущей неделе. 12. Это письмо можно написать на одном листе. 13. На этой фабрике делают очень красивые сумки. 14. Письма туда можно посылать только летом, а телеграммы круглый год. 15. Мою подругу каждый год посылают за границу.