Муниципальное казенное общеобразовательное учреждение «Средняя школа №10»
Республика Дагестан г. Избербаш ул. Ленина 6
Открытый урок в 9 «а» классе
"The system of school education in English-speaking countries and in our country"
Провела: Саидова Г.М., учитель английского языка МКОУ СОШ №10
Цель урока: систематизаций знаний по теме «Education»
Оборудование: доска, таблица, компьютер, проектор, презентация, карточки с заданиями.
Приветствие, сообщение о теме и характере работы на данном уроке.
morning! I am
very glad to see you and hope that you are ready for the lesson and you are in
a good mood. Today the theme of our lesson is "The system of school
education in English-speaking countries and in our country". Today we’ll speak about the role of knowledge in our life. Our task is to remember and discuss all
aspects of school education which are typical of Great Britain, the USA and our
2. Warming-up. Для настройки учащихся на беседу по теме используется высказывание. Teacher: There is a saying about education. Let’s read and translate it.
The better a person is educated, the greater his/her chance for success and high living standard is. (How do you understand it? The more a man knows, the more opportunities he has. Knowledge gives a man great power. Everybody must try to increase his knowledge.)
Do you share this opinion? Why? (Do you agree?)
Knowledge is power, isn’t it?
Where do you get knowledge? (from books, magazines, TV, the Internet)
Do you try to learn all subjects well?
Do you try to broaden your outlook?
3. Развитие речевых навыков.
The more we learn – the more we know,
The more we know – the more we forget,
The more we forget – the less we know.
So why study?
So, “Why do you study? Why do you go to school?”, “Is education important?”
Pupils: I go to school, because ……….
4. Phonetic practice. Teacher: Now let’s remember proverbs about learning. Match the proverbs and their Russian equivalents. Repeat it after me, please.
Live and learn.
- Век живи, век учись.
It’s never late to learn. - Учиться никогда не поздно.
Practice makes perfect. - Повторение – мать учения.
A little learning
is a dangerous thing. - Недоученный хуже ученого.
Learning is an eye in the mind. - Учение – свет, а не ученье - тьма.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.- Никогда не откладывай на завтра то, что можешь сделать сегодня.
Teacher: At home you were to prepare the phonetic reading of the poem “Today is yours". Read it, please.
Today is yours
Don't wait till tomorrow
to reach out and grow,
To learn something interesting
you didn’t know.
Don't wait till tomorrow
to find ways to share,
To make a new friend,
really show that you care.
Don't wait till tomorrow
to follow your heart,
To savor the beauty
that life can impart.
Don't wait till tomorrow
to let yourself start…
Take time to do it today!
What is the idea of the poem?
5. Активизация лексических навыков. Teacher: Now let’s revise the vocabulary. Find a pair.
to attend a state school
to pass exams
certificate of complete secondary education
a wide range of opportunities
to prepare for higher education
senior secondary school
Teacher: Give the definition for the following (using active vocabulary from our theme):
– the process of teaching or learning, usually in a school or college (education).
– to go to (school) (attend).
- a school for children between 3 and 6 years old that prepare them for school – kindergarten (nursery school)
–a school for children between the ages 7 to 10 – primary school
– a school for children between the ages of 11 to 18 – secondary school
– a set of clothes that school children wear so that they all look the same (school uniform).
– an organization for people who have the same interest or enjoy similar activities – club
– one of the twelve years you are at school in the USA – grade
- to get good results for exams – to pass exams
6. Teacher: What is school for you? (Слайд «Школа» “What is school for you?”)
Now look at the scheme. Have we mentioned all the points?
(Учащиеся дополняют свои ответы, используя схему.)
Teacher: Tell us some words about our school.
Now I suppose it’ll be interesting to see the film about schools in Britain. Be attentive, please. You’ll answer some questions after it.
Do you like British schools?
Now listen to my statements, express your agreement or disagreement.
1. Most children start primary school at the age of 5. (true)
2. Children stay at secondary school to the age of 18. (false-to the age of 16)
3. At the age of 16 students take an examination called GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education). (true)
4. At the end of each stage of education students take A-Level exams. (false –at the age of 18, at the end of the 6th form)
5. Most schools are mixed both for girls and boys. (true)
6. Many British students learn a foreign language from the age of 7. (false –from the age of 11)
7. Most British students study French, but Spanish and Italian are also popular. (true)
8. Students have a break for lunch for an hour. (true)
9. The lessons finish at 6 o’clock in the afternoon. (false – at 4 o’clock)
10. There are a lot of extracurricular classes in British schools. (true)
11. Eton, Harrow and Winchester are very popular independent schools in Britain. (true)
7. Контроль домашнего задания. Teacher: Your homework was to find interesting information about education in English-speaking countries. Let’s listen to some of you.
Teacher: Now let’s relax. Look at the word and name as many words as you can for each letter.
e – enter, entrance, exam, elementary
d – discipline, drama
u – university
c – curriculum, compulsory, comprehensive
a – attend, ability, activity
t – treat, tolerance, trust
i – institute, ideal
o – optional
n – national exam, nursery school
9. Teacher: (CD) Exams are always stressful. Let’s revise some conversational phrases which help to calm and reassure your partner.
Фонетическая отработка фраз.
There is nothing to worry about.
I shouldn’t worry if I were you.
I’m sure things will turn out fine in the end.
Try and look on the bright side.
Teacher: Диалоги по предложенным ситуациям. Tell your partner that you are afraid of or worry about
- your future exam
- your test results
- your further education
10. Совершенствование грамматических навыков. Teacher: Now let’s improve your grammar. Read the text “How to choose a career” and put the verb into the correct form.
Choosing a career depends upon your character, intellect, abilities and talent. Do you think someone (1) _____(be) a good teacher if he (2) ______ (not love) children, or someone (3) _______(be) a good vet if he (4) ______ (not like) animals?
You (5) ______(be) never a respectable judge if you (6) ______ (not be) just and honest. Only he who (7) ______(have) a creative mind (8) ______(be) a successful businessman. Only those who (9) _______ (not be) afraid of being in the open sea during a storm (10) _____(become) sailors.
There are a lot of interesting professions, and many roads are opened before school leavers. Nowadays most professions are offered only to educated people. So if you (11) ______ (want) to be a professional you (12) _____ (have to) enter an institute or university. You (13) ______ (enter) a university only if you (14) _______(study) hard.
So, it is necessary to develop your strength of will. If you (15) _______(have) this quality, your dreams (16) ______ (come) true soon.
11. Teacher: We’ve spoken a lot about education and schools. Let’s sum up all things that are necessary in modern school. What things are the most important for it?
range of subjects
- number of students
- school community
Imagine an ideal school. What school are you dreaming of? Put the criteria in the order of importance.
I’d like to study in a school where there is / there are ....
I’d like to have a .... in my dream school
There will be ... in my school.
12. Teacher: Homework – ex.5, p.117 –SB (Write a letter about your school).
Thank you for your work!
Примерные ответы учащихся:
Education in Australia
Australia is compulsory between the ages of 6 and 15. Most children (about 70
%) study at state schools where education is free.
Most Australians live in cities along the eastern and south–eastern coasts. But there are also many remote inland towns on the continent. So in several states of Australia there are “Schools of the Air”. These schools are situated in the areas far away from the big cities and towns. How do students attend the Schools of the Air? The easiest thing to get a classroom experience is to use a two-way radio or other means of communication. By listening to the radio, watching TV and video the students learn about the world around them though they stay in their own homes.
There is also “Schools Through the Mailbox” for children who live far away from any school in the area. Subjects are divided into one-or two-week units. Each unit including new material, illustrations, exercises and tests can be sent to pupils any time.
Schools in the USA
Speaking about schools in the USA I’d like to say that boys and girls start school when they are 6 years old. Most children attend public elementary and secondary schools. The parents do not have to pay for their children’s education in such schools. If a child goes to a private school, his parents pay the school for the child’s education.
Secondary education is compulsory in the USA between the age of 6 and 18. So most students are 18 years old when they graduate from secondary school. At elementary school a student spends 5 or 8 years in different types of schools. High schools provide secondary education.
Today about half of the high school graduates go on to colleges and universities. Some of them are free and a student at a state university does not have to pay very much if his parents live in that state. Private colleges and universities are expensive, however. Almost half of the college students in the United States work while they are studying. When a student’s family is not rich, he has to earn money for the part of his college expenses.
Schooling in Great Britain.
Education in Britain reflects the country’s social system: it is class-divided and selective. The first division is between those who pay and those who do not pay. The majority of schools in Britain are supported by public funds and the education is free there. But there are also public schools and if parents send their children to such schools they must pay for the education.
Another important feature of schooling in Britain is a variety of opportunities offered to schoolchildren. Education in England, Wales and Northern Ireland follows the National Curriculum.
The English school curriculum is divided into Arts (or Humanities) and Sciences. That’s why secondary school pupils study in groups: a Science pupil will study Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics (Maths), Economics, Technical Drawing, Biology, Geography; an Art pupil will do the English language and Literature, History, foreign languages, Music, Art, Drama. Besides these subjects they must do some general education subjects like Physical Education (PE), Home Economics for girls, and Technical subjects for boys, General Science.
Oxford and Cambridge
Oxford and Cambridge are the oldest universities in Britain. Only very rich families can send their children to these universities. Many people think they are the best universities in Britain. Many prime ministers and politicians graduated from these universities. Oxford and Cambridge universities consist of a number of colleges. Each college offers teaching in a wide range of subjects. Oxford and Cambridge different, but in many ways they are alike. Each college has its name, its coat of arms. Oxford and Cambridge is governed by a master. Students study for 3 years and after it they take the Degree of Bachelor of Arts. Some courses, such as languages or medicine may be one or two years longer.
Fill in the missing words.
1. State schools provide _______(free) education in Great Britain.
2. There are no ________(entrance exams) in comprehensive schools in Great Britain.
3. At the end of each stage pupils in Great Britain have _______(national exams).
4. Secondary education in Great Britain and in Russia is _______(compulsory).
5. If pupils wants to study at a grammar school, they have to _______(pass 11+exams).
6. Kindergartens, nursery classes are ______(optional) in many countries.
7. Parents pay for education in ______(private schools).
8. All schools in Great Britain follow the same ______(National curriculum).
9. After finishing school in Russia pupils get ______(a certificate of complete secondary education).
10. To enter the University in the USA students have to take ________(SAT Scholastic Aptitude Test).
Read the text and put the verb into the correct form.
“How to choose a career”
Choosing a career depends upon your character, intellect, abilities and talent. Do you think someone (1)_____(be) a good teacher if he (2) ______(not love) children, or someone (3) _______(be) a good vet if he (4) ______(not like) animals?
You (5)______(be) never a respectable judge if you (6)______(not be) just and honest. Only he who (7) ______(have) a creative mind (8) ______(be) a successful businessman. Only those who (9)_______(not be) afraid of being in the open sea during a storm (10) _____(become) sailors.
There are a lot of interesting professions, and many roads are opened before school leavers. Nowadays most professions are offered only to educated people. So if you (11)______(want) to be a professional you (12)_____(have to) enter an institute or university. You (13) ______(enter) a university only if you (14) _______(study) hard.
So, it is necessary to develop your strength of will. If you (15) _______(have) this quality, your dreams (16) ______(come) true soon.
к вашим урокам
В нашем каталоге доступно 23 687 рабочих листовПерейти в каталог
6 368 473 материала в базе
«Английский язык», Кузовлев В.П., Перегудова Э.Ш., Лапа Н.М.
Unit 4. What school do you go to?Больше материалов по этой теме
Авторизуйтесь, чтобы задавать вопросы.
Настоящий материал опубликован пользователем Саидова Гульбарият Магомедовна. Инфоурок является информационным посредником и предоставляет пользователям возможность размещать на сайте методические материалы. Всю ответственность за опубликованные материалы, содержащиеся в них сведения, а также за соблюдение авторских прав несут пользователи, загрузившие материал на сайт
Если Вы считаете, что материал нарушает авторские права либо по каким-то другим причинам должен быть удален с сайта, Вы можете оставить жалобу на материал.Удалить материал
Ваша скидка на курсы40%
Курс профессиональной переподготовки
Курс повышения квалификации
36 ч. — 180 ч.
Курс повышения квалификации
72 ч. — 180 ч.
Финансовый абьюз в детско-родительских отношениях и его главная опасность
Специфика LSI-копирайтинга (создание текстов на основе принципа latent semantic indexing – скрытого семантического индексирования)
Психологические основы профессиональной деятельности педагога-психолога в дошкольном образовании