Тема урока: «London and its places of interest»
1. Обобщить страноведческие знания учащихся, полученные на уроках английского языка.
2. Воспитывать интерес к изучению предмета.
3. Развивать неподготовленную речь учащихся.
Образовательные: проконтролировать степень усвоения основных умений и навыков, изученных и сформированных на предыдущих уроках.
Развивающие задачи: развивать навыки чтения у учащихся, развивать умение работать в коллективе и принимать совместное решение; развивать положительные личностные качества (ответственность, доброжелательность, чувство взаимопомощи); способствовать развитию образной и ассоциативной, словесно-логической памяти, логического мышления, фонетического слуха, развивать и тренировать внимание.
Воспитательные задачи: воспитывать уважение к культуре своей страны и стран изучаемого языка.
Лингвострановедческие задачи: формировать интерес к странам изучаемого языка; расширить культурный кругозор учащихся.
Оборудование: иллюстрации с видами Лондона, его достопримечательностей, интерактивная доска, раздаточный материал (тексты).
1. Организационный момент.
Тeacher: Good morning children. I’m glad to see you. Today we’ll speak about UK of Great Britain and interesting places of London!
2. Основная часть.
T.: I think you know a lot of information about UK of Great Britain. Let’s play the Quiz - programme “What do you know about Great Britain?” You must choose the correct answer from the variants listed below.
1. What is the official name of the country whose language you study?
a) Great Britain
c) the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
2. How many countries does the United Kingdom consists of?
3. Which is the largest island of the British Isles?
b) Isle of Man
c) Great Britain
4.What is a capital of Scotland?
5. What is a capital of Wales?
6. What is a capital of Northern Ireland?
7. What is the name of the British national flag?
a) the Union Jack
b) the Saint Andrew’s Cross
c) the Saint David’s Cross
8.Which is the longest river in Britain?
a) the Clyde
b) the Severn
c) the Thames
9.Who is the official head of the UK?
a) the President
b) the Houses of Parliament
c) the Queen
10. Where is Nelson’s Column situated?
a) in Parliament Square
b) in Trafalgar Square
c) in Piccadilly Circus
11. Where are British kings crowned?
a) in St. Paul’s Cathedral
b) in Westminster Abbey
c) in Canterbury Cathedral
12. The ravens are a famous sight of …
a) the Tower of London
b) London zoo
c) Covent Garden
13. What is the Scottish national costume for men?
a) the tuxedo
b) the bearskin
c) the kilt
14. The colour of taxis in London is …
15. What is the official language in Great Britain?
16. Big Ben is:
b) a horse
c) an animal in the zoo
17. The capital of Great Britain is:
18. The name of the river in London is:
b) the Thames
c) the Nile
d) the Mississippi
T.: It’s right! And now answer my question: What do you know about wonderful places of London?
Т.: I’ll give you the text under the title: ''Interesting places of London". Let's read and translate the information about London.
London is the capital of the Great Britain, its political, economic and cultural center. It's one of the largest cities in the world. Its population is more than 9 million people. London is situated on the river Thames. The city is very old and beautiful. It was founded more than two thousand years ago. London was founded by the Romans in 43 A.D. and called Londinium. In 61 A.D. the town was burnt down and when it was rebuilt by the Romans it was surrounded by a wall. That area within the wall is now called the City of London. It is London's commercial and business center. It contains the Bank of England , the Stock Exchange and the head offices of numerous companies and corporations. Here is situated the Tower of London . The Tower was built by William the Conqueror who conquered England in 1066. He was crowned at Westminster Abbey. Now most of the Government buildings are located. People say that London is the city of contrasts. Because there the past meets the present, the old meets the new. There are four parts in London: West End, East End, the City and Westminster. West End is the richest part, East End is the part where working people live, and the City is the financial center. The City is small, but it is an important commercial center of the country. The Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral are situated in the City. Here we can find the Fleet Street, where newspapers and news agencies have their offices.
Т.: Children, listen the 1-st task. You must fill in the missing words.
1. London is the capital of the Great Britain, its ...... center. (political, economic, cultural)
2. The population of London is ... people. (more than 9 million)
3. London is situated on the river …. (Thames)
4. The Tower was built by William the Conqueror in …. (1066)
5. There are four parts in London: … (West End, East End, the City and Westminster)
7. West End is ... (the richest part)
8. The Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral are situated .... (in the City)
T.: Excellent! Children, there are many sights places of interest in London. And now listen the information about the places of interest in London (pupils tell about interesting places).
London is the capital of England. It's one of the most interesting cities in Europe. London stands on the river Thames.
1. The Tower of London is a very old building in London. It is nine hundred years old. The Tower of London stands on the Thames. The English kings lived in the Tower. It was a prison where many people died. The black ravens live in the gardens of the Tower now. The English people like them very much. A man looks after the ravens and gives them meat in the morning and in the evening. Now the Tower of London is a museum and many people from other countries come to see it.
Tower Bridge is one of the famous bridges across the Thames. It was built in 1894. It's next to the Tower of London. It opens and ships go up and down the river Thames.
2. Standing not far from the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey is a symbol of England. Westminster Abbey, is Gothic church. The legend says that Westminster Abbey was founded by St Peter himself. The coronation of all British Kings and Queens takes place in Westminster Abbey. Some famous English people are also buried here.
The Houses of Parliament stand beside the river Thames. You can also see them from Westminster Abbey. The country's leaders speak at this place. The famous clock Big Ben stands near them.
3. Buckingham Palace is the place where British kings and queens live when they are in London. When the Queen is inside you can see the flag over it. Important visitors often go to this place. They meet Queen Elizabeth and the royal family there. A lot of tourists go to visit this place. They stand outside and see the Changing of the Guard.
4. Trafalgar Square is a place where different meetings take place. In the middle of this square, there is the statue of Admiral Lord Nelson on top. This most impressive monument is about 52 m tall.
5. London Eye is the most popular paid tourist attraction in the United Kingdom. Is the tallest attraction, visited by over 3 million people a year.
6. London Zoo world's oldest scientific zoo. It was opened in London on April 27, 1828, and was originally intended to be used as a collection for scientific study. It was eventually made open to the public in 1847. Today it houses a collection of 755 species of animals, with 15104 individuals, making it one of the largest collections in the United Kingdom,
7. London's National Gallery, founded in 1824, houses a rich collection of over 2,300 paintings dating from the mid-13th century to 1900 in its home on Trafalgar Square. The collection belongs to the British public and entry to the main collection is free, although there are charges for entry to special exhibitions.
Т.: The next task. Look the statements and say if they are true or false.
1. London is far from the river Thames. (F)
2. Most London parks are free. (T)
3. London is a very old city. (T)
4. The Tower of London is a residence of the British Queen. (F)
5. London Eye is a famous London theatre. (F)
6. Tower Bridge is the only bridge in London. (F)
7. Nelson's Column is in Trafalgar Square. (T)
8. London Zoo is in the Tower of London. (F)
T.: the next task, I’ll show you the picture, you must say what’s the sight of London. Let’s play!
3. Подведение итогов
Т.: I'm pleased with your results. You show good knowledge of London sights, you show you can read, listen and speak English well. All of you are clever. Thank you. Good Bye!
Номер материала: ДВ-374902
Вам будут интересны эти курсы: