Date: 19.12 Form: 6 “a,b”
Theme of the lesson: “ The school day in England”
Aims of the lesson: 1. Talking about the schools, the typical day at school,
The uniforms of the schools in England. Comparing them with the schools in Kazakhstan.
2. To develop the pupils’ grammar habits. To develop the pupils’ abilities in speech
3. To bring up the feelings of love towards the education.
The procedure of the lesson:
I. Org. moment
-How are you?
b. A talk about on duty
-Who is on duty today?
-Who is absent today?
c. A talk about the weather?
-What season is it now?
- What month is it now?
-What day is it today?
-What date is it today?
d. Now pupils let us stand in a circle.
And you must say to each other the best wishes.
II. Phonetic practice.
My box of colours red and brown
My box of colours green and yellow
My box of colours violet and blue
My box of colours pink and orange
Let’s play a game. It called “Can you..?”
Stand up, go to the board and stand in a circle. I’ll be your leader and you must answer for my questions. Then you must show how you do it.
Can you swim like a fish?
Can you run like a cat?
Can you play a piano?...
Thank you, now take your places.
III.Brainstorming. Answering the questions about the schools in England.
T: We have read about the schools in England and now let’s answer the questions about them.
1. At what age do the pupils go to school in England?
2. What types of schools are there in England?
3. How much per cent of children go to state and private schools?
4. How long do the pupils stay at infant school and what do they learn there?
5. What school do they go to after infant school? How many years do they study there? And what subjects?
6. Describe comprehensive school.
7. What can you say about grammar school?
8. What do the pupils do at the age of 16?
T: Thank you. I am glad that you know all about the schools in England. And now let’s compare them with the educational system in Kazakhstan.
IV. Comparing British and Kazakh educational system (Venn’s diagram)
go to school at the age of 5 education is compulsory till
the age of 16
Take GCSE exams at the age of 16
go to school at the age of 6
education is compulsory till
the age of 18
Take GCSE exams at the age of 18
V. Introducing with the typical school day, uniform and school vacations of British pupils.
T: Now first let’s divide into 3 groups, because I’ll give you texts about school day, school vacations and school uniforms. At the top of the text there are some new words, first introduce with them, then read the text and try to understand. After that you’ll do the tasks given below the text.
The typical school day in England
The new words:
registration – тіркелу
Assembly - жиын
Pray - сыйыну
Snack - жеңіл тамақ
a break – үзіліс
require – талап ету
school logo – мектеп белгісі
choice – таңдау
term - тоқсан
Our School starts at 8: 55 with registration.
At 9: 10 we go to assembly. In assembly we sing songs, listen to a story and pray.
Our first lesson begins at 9: 20.
We have break time from 10: 20 until 10: 35. During break time, the children have a snack and play games out doors.
Afterwards, we go back in for another lesson until lunch at 12: 00.
Afternoon lessons begin at 1: 10 and end at 3: 15, when the children go home.
We do not have a break in the afternoon.
The task: Complete the sentences
1. Our school day starts at ………….
2. In ………. we sing songs, listen to a story and pray.
3. During the break time they have……. and …….. outdoors.
A school uniform in England
Long grey or black trousers (shorts may be worn in the Summer)
School tie (optional in most primary schools)
Jumper or sweater with the school logo on. The color is the choice of the schools.
Girls may wear skirts
During the summer term girls often wear summer school dresses.
The task: True or false sentences
1. Boys wear long grey or black trousers, white shirt and school tie.
2. Girls wear black trousers too.
3. Pupils wear shorts and summer dresses.
State schools in England are closed on national holidays and at weekends.
English schools have three terms (semesters), separated by vacations.
The summer vacation lasts for about 6 weeks from July 20 to September 4; winter and spring vacation both last two weeks, from December 21 to around January 6 and March 25 to around April 5.
The new school year starts in September, at the end of summer vacation.
The three terms are:
Autumn Term: September to December
Spring Term: January to April
Summer Term: April to July.
The task: Agree or disagree.
1. English schools have four terms.
2. Their summer vacations lasts for 3 months.
3. Winter and spring vacations last two weeks.
VI. Advantages and disadvantages of the school day, vacations, uniform.
T: You have read about school day, school vacations, school uniform of English pupils
and now let’s speak about advantages and disadvantages of school day, school vacations, school uniform of English pupils.
1. School uniforms are nice
2. School day is longer
3. Go to school earlier at the age of 5
4. They get GCSE exams at the age of 16
1. School year is long
2. School vacations are short
3. They study in July when it’s very hot.
1. Nobody ___ to school on Sundays.
a) Go b) is going c) have done d) goes
2. I am interested ___ mathematics and English.
a) On b) in c) at d) with
3. In English children go to school between the ages _____
a) 7 - 17 years b) 5 - 16 years c) 6 - 18 years d) 4 - 16 years
4. In Britain children have to pass a selection test to get _____ school.
a) Comprehensive b) grammar c) private d) primary
5. Private schools are very _____
a) Expensive b) noisy c) cheap d) interesting
6. Children like ______ languages.
a) Is learning b) are learn c) learning d) to learn
7. Children in Kazakhstan _____ at the age of 17 - 18
a) Have left b) are leaving c) leave d) leaves
8. The man ____ is reading a book is my brother.
a) What b) which c) who d) whom
9. _______ project is good.
a) This student b) this student’s c) this students’ d) this
10. Knowledge ___ power.
a) Are b) is c) has d) is being
VIII. Conclusion task.
T: Now let’s do conclusion task. Look at the board and translate and find the words.
1. Compulsory -
2. A person who works at school -
3. A person who studies at school -
4. Primary school -
5. We are studying at ______
6. Schoolchildren often don’t like their ______
7. A screen where we find today’s lesson –
8. School logo -
9. Pupils like to have _________
10. A school in Britain where pupils have a selection test to enter –
IX. Home task
At home please write an essay on theme: “My school”
Describe your school, school day, uniform, vacations.
X. Giving marks, end of the lesson.
T: You worked actively today. Thank you for your work and your marks …..
The lesson is over. Good bye.