ALL About Russia
Location: Russia (officially called the Russian Federation) is a large country in Asia and Europe. Russia is bordered by China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, the Caspian Sea, Azerbaijan, Georgia, the Black Sea, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Estonia, the Baltic Sea, Finland, Norway, the Arctic Ocean, the Bering Sea, the Sea of Okhotsk, and the Sea of Japan.
Capital: Moscow is the capital of Russia.
Population: The people of Russia are called Russians. Russia has the 9th largest population of any country in the world. The population of Russia is about 139,390,205 (as of July, 2010).
Largest Cities: Moscow (the capital), St. Petersburg, Novosibirsk, Sverdlovsk, Rostov, Vladivostok, Irkutsk, Volgograd, Omsk.
Government: Russia is a republic. The National Holiday is Russia Day, which is celebrated on June 12.
Language: The official language is Russian.
Literacy Rate: About 99.4% (almost all) of the adults in Russia can read and write.
Official Religion: Russian Orthodox 15-20%, Muslim 10-15%, other Christians 2%.
Since 1994, Russia celebrates national "Day of State Flag" on the 21st of August each year.
Climate: Russia's climate ranges from steppes in the south, humid continental in much of European Russia (west of the Ural Mountains); subarctic in Siberia, tundra in the polar north;. Winters vary from cool along Black Sea coast to frigid in Siberia. Summers vary from warm in the steppes to cool along Arctic coast.
Terrain: Broad plain with low hills west of Urals; vast coniferous forest and tundra in Siberia; uplands and mountains along southern border regions.
Major Rivers: The Volga, Don, Kama, Oka, Dniepr, the Western Dvina, and the Northern Dvina.
Mountain Ranges: The Ural Mountains (which divide European and Asias Russia), the Caucasus Mountains (in southweatern Russia), and many mountain ranges in eastern Russia.
Highest Point: The highest point in Russia is Gora Elbrus, located in southwestern Russia.
Natural Resources: Huge deposits of oil, natural gas, coal, and many strategic minerals, rare earth elements, timber.
Major Industries: Mining, oil, gas, chemicals, and metal production, machine building, shipbuilding, road and rail transportation equipment; communications equipment; agricultural machinery, tractors, and construction equipment; electric power generating and transmitting equipment; medical and scientific instruments; consumer durables, textiles, foodstuffs, handicrafts.
Agricultural Products: Grain, sugar beets, sunflower seed, vegetables, fruits; beef, milk.
1. What is the capital of Russia? ______________________________________
2. What is the name of the river that flows near this capital city and into the Caspian Sea? _____________________
3. What ocean borders Russia to the north? _____________________
4. What is the name of the mountain range that splits Russia into two pieces, east (Asian Russia) and west (European Russia)? _____________________
5. What is the name of the sea that separates Russia and Japan? _____________________
6. What is the name of the strait that separates Russia from Alaska? _____________________
7. What country borders Russia on the southeast? _____________________
8. Is Siberia in the north, south, east, or west of Russia? _____________________
Номер материала: ДВ-115321
Вам будут интересны эти курсы: