Entrance test (8th form)
1.Complete the sentences with one of the word combinations:
official languages, round the world, by plane, foreign languages, was awarded, the only, collected himself, neither, successful, peoples
1. The winners will travel … from Australia to India.
2. He can speak three… English, German and Spanish.
3. There are two … in Canada : English and French.
4. If you work hard, you will be … in your career.
5. English is the … solution to the communication problem.
6. The famous scientist … a Nobel prize.
7. The winners of the World Teenagers Competition travelled …by different means of transport.
8. We can get to the USA … by car nor by train.
9. He … and began the report.
10. … of different nationalities live in Russia.
1. ice hockey
Entrance test (6th form)
I. Put in the words: play, speak, exchange, taught, take, hobbies, an interview, stay.
Denis Korolev is a ten-year old student. His 1)_______ are sport and music. He can 2)______ the guitar well. He likes to 3)______ pictures of his friends. Denis can 4)_______ and read English. Last year Barbara Grey from Great Britain 5)______ him and his friends. She is going to arrange a students' 6)_______ . Yesterday Denis gave 7)________ to a youth magazine about the Russian-English student exchange. Denis is going to 8)_______ with his pen-friend's family.
II. Make up the dialogue. Put the phrases in the correct order.
A. – You are welcome. Have a nice day.
B. – Excuse me, am I far from Trafalgar Square?
С. – How can I get there?
D. - I'm afraid you are.
E. - It's very easy. Take bus No.64 and you'll be there in ten minutes.
F. – Thank you very much.
III. Choose the correct translation.
1. Сейчас ему необходим только горячий чай.
a) He is needing only a cup of hot tea at the moment.
b) He needs only a cup of hot tea at the moment.
2. Что Вы хотите?
a) What do you want?
b) What are you wanting?
3. Тише! Он пишет статью о Москве.
a) Keep silence! He is writing an article about Moscow.
b) Silence! He writes an article about Moscow.
4. Have you ever been to an ancient castle?
a) Вы бывали когда-нибудь в старинном замке?
b) Вы собираетесь побывать когда-нибудь в старинном замке?
5. This book is worth reading.
а) Эту книгу следует прочитать.
b) Эту книгу стоит прочитать.
Entrance test (9th form)
Read the text and do the tasks.
The Statue of Liberty
copper – медный, медь
harbour - гавань
pedestal - пьедестал
torch - факел
tablet – дощечка (с надписью)
shackle – кандалы, оковы
elevator - лифт
The Statue of Liberty is the large copper statue that stands on Liberty Island in New York Harbour. Its proper name is "Liberty Enlightening the World". This statue is the largest ever made. The statue represents a proud woman, dressed in a loose robe that falls in grateful folds to the top of the pedestal on which the statue stands. The right arm holds a great torch raised high in the air. The left arm grasps a tablet bearing the date of the Declaration of Independence. A crown with huge spikes, like sun rays, rests on the head. At the feet is a broken shackle, which people seldom notice, symbolizing the overthrow of tyranny. The statue weighs 450,000 ponds. The torch gleams at night as a symbol of liberty shedding light upon the world.
An elevator carries visitors up the pedestal to the foot of the statue. At this point, an observation balcony affords a magnificent view of the harbour and the city. Visitors may climb a narrow spiral staircase from the pedestal as high as the crown on the statue's head. A ladder inside the arm leads to the torch but it is not for public use because it's too narrow.
Frederic Auguste Bartholdi designed this statue and chose its site. Bartholdi also spent a great deal of time and energy raising funds in France and the United States to bring the plan to completion.
France presented the monument to the United States on July 4, 1884 as a symbol of friendship and of the liberty that citizens enjoy under a free form of government. The statue was shipped to the United States in 1885 and became a national monument.
I. Mark the statements: true (T) or false (F).
1. The Statue of Liberty is made of copper.
2. It is situated in Washington.
3. This statue is the largest statue in the world.
4. It was designed by the people of France.
5. It was presented to the USA by France as a symbol of friendship between two countries.
6. The statue represents a man holding a torch in his right hand as a symbol of liberty.
7. The monument is devoted to the Declaration of Independence.
8. Inside the right arm there is a staircase.
9. You can enjoy the view of the whole city from the observation balcony at the foot of the statue.
10. The statue was transported to the USA by special cars.
Put the verbs in the Past Simple or the Past Continuous.
1) I … (walk) home after the party yesterday.
a)walked b) was walking
2)When you … (phone), I … (play) a new computer game.
a)were phoning, played b) phoned, was playing
3)While I … (work) in the garden I … (find) a kitten.
a)worked, was finding b) was working , found
4)When I … (arrive) my son … (have) dinner.
a)arrived, was having b) was arriving, had
5)While we … (work) my dog … (hurt) its leg.
a)were working, hurt b) worked, was hurting
Choose the right form of the verb.
1What … you (do) if he won a million pounds?
a)would … have done b) would … do
2)If the weather was bad, we … (not go) out.
a)would not go b) would not have gone
3)If you had done that, you … (be) all right.
a)would have been b) would be
4)I would have gone out if my mother … (not be) at home.
a)wasn't b) hadn't been
Номер материала: ДВ-250823
Вам будут интересны эти курсы: