Theme: Test yourself
The aim: 1. To check up students’ knowledge.
Org. moment: Good morning, dear students! Take your seats!
1. Reading. Read the text and choose the right answer.
Schools in England
State schools are infant, junior or secondary. British boys and girls begin to go to school at the age of 5. They draw pictures, sing songs, listen to the stories and tales. British children begin to read and write when they enter the infant schools. Young children are divided into two groups, according to their mental abilities. Children leave infant schools when they are 7. Then they go to study at junior schools where they learn to write, read and do mathematics. Their school subjects are History, English, Geography, Arithmetic, Arts, Music, Swimming and some others. When the pupils enter the junior schools they pass abilities test. According to the results of the test and thus their intellectual potential they are divided into three groups. Boys and girls spend four years studying at junior schools.
Then they pass examinations again and enter the secondary schools. There different types of secondary schools in Britain. They are: grammar schools, modern schools and comprehensive schools. English boys and girls attend secondary schools from 11 till 16. They don't go to schools on Saturdays and Sundays. In the modern schools pupils do not learn foreign languages. In grammar schools pupils receive better theoretical education. And the other school type is comprehensive schools. Almost all secondary pupils ( around 90 per cent ) go there.
English pupils wear school uniform. It is one of the oldest country's traditions. A boy's uniform includes a school cap, a tie and a blazer. A girl's uniform consists of a hat, a coat, a skirt and a blouse. The uniforms vary from school to school. Usually, they are dark.
Children go to junior school at the age of __________
They are divided into three groups according __________________
Children go to school on __________________
Types of secondary schools are ____________________
Boys wear __________________ for the uniform.
2. Vocabulary. Translate into English
1. Если бы он не был так близорук (short-sighted), он бы узнал меня вчера в театре.
2. Она здорова. Если бы она была больна, ее брат сказал бы мне об этом вчера.
3. Вы бы много знали, если бы регулярно читали этот журнал.
4. Если бы я узнала об этом раньше, то не сидела бы сейчас дома.
5. Если бы мои родители были богаты, они бы уже давно купили мне машину.
6. Она очень талантлива. Хорошо бы родители купили ей пианино. Если она начнет играть сейчас, она будет выдающимся (distinguished) музыкантом.
7. Если бы я знал французский, я бы уже давно поговорил с ней.
3. Grammar. Choose the right answer.
Complete the Conditional Sentences Type I.
If you (go) out with your friends tonight, I (watch) the football match on TV.
I (earn) a lot of money if I (get) that job.
If she (hurry / not) , we (miss) the bus.
Complete the Conditional Sentences Type II.
If he (try) harder, he (reach) his goals.
I (buy) these shoes if they (fit) .
It (surprise / not) me if he (know / not) the answer.
Complete the Conditional Sentences Type III.
If we (listen) to the radio, we (hear) the news.
If you (switch) on the lights, you (fall / not) over the chair.
She (come) to our party if she (be / not) on holiday.