Reading Comprehension Test
John Cleef s father played for a Dutch football club when he was a young man. When the Cleefs left Holland and moved to London, John began school as a six-year-old. No one in the family was surprised when he started to take a great interest in football. The school he went to played football four afternoons a week (except in the summer, when they all played cricket).
John's abilities were obvious and when he was 12, a talent scout from one of the big football clubs spoke to his parents about him. Mr. Cleef said he was too young to think about football as a career. But two years later, John took part in a special schoolboys' football match arranged by the club. John scored three goals, and he was certain that his future lay in football. Two years later he signed a contract with the club.
John has been lucky, because it is a good club. It makes sure that all the new young players keep up their schooling.
It is a hard day for John and the other young players. The day starts at the football ground at ten o'clock with a meeting, followed by an hour and a half's training. After lunch they clean football boots, sweep out the stadium, and wash out the changing-rooms.
The young footballers are expected to be in peak physical condition which means, says John, no late nights, no drinking, and a rather limited social life. «Not all the girls understand this, but I know I have two years to try and make my mark. That means that the girls will have to wait. I watch football every evening I can — and dream of becoming a star! »
John is supported 100% by his parents. His father is proud of him, and perhaps sees John fulfilling his own dream of becoming a football star. «For me it would be marvellous to have a Cleef playing for England, » he says with a smile, «even if it should mean that they beat Holland ten-nil! »
a talent scout — зд. a person who looks for talented young players.
Reading Comprehension Test
I. Find the right ending.
1. John Cleef's father left Holland ______.
a) when John was six years old
b) after playing for a Dutch football club for six years
c) to play for a London football team
2. John began to think of football as a career __________ .
a) when a talent scout spoke to his parents about him
b) after a special schoolboys' football match
c) after he signed a contract with the club
3. John has been lucky __________ .
a) because his father is proud of him
b) because he is one of the young players who clean football boots
c) because his club provides an opportunity for the young players to continue schooling
II. Mark the sentences as True or False.
1. John played cricket in the summer.
2. It is not easy for John and the other boys to be the members of the football club.
3. The young footballers are expected to be in weak physical condition.
III. Complete the sentences according to the text.
1. No one in the family was _______when John started to take a great interest in football.
2. John scored ______goals, and he was certain that his future lay in football.
3. John has been lucky, because it is a ________ club.
IV. Change the sentences according to the text.
1. Three months later he signed a contract with the club.
2. The school he went to played football every day.
3. John is supported 100% by his girlfriend and friends.
V. Answer the questions.
1. What did Mr. Cleef say to the talent scout1?
2. How old was John when he signed a contract with the club?
3. How does John’s day at the club start?
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|