Past Simple or Present Perfect. Exercises.
1. Put the verbs in brackets in the Past Simple or in the Present Perfect.
1. I (have, just) ______ a nice pot of coffee. Would you like a cup?
2. I (see, not) ______ Steve this morning yet.
3. Carol and I are old friends. I (know) ______ her since I (be) ______ a freshman in high school.
4. Maria (have) ______ a lot of problems since she (come) ______ to this country.
5. I (go) ______ to Paris in 2003 and 2006.
6. A car came round the corner and I (jump) ______ out of the way.
7. Don’t throw the paper away because I (not to read) ______ it yet.
8. Is Jim going to eat lunch with us today? — No. He (eat) ______ (already).He (eat) ______ lunch an hour ago.
9. Since we (start) ______ doing this exercise, we (complete) ______ some sentences.
10. I (be) ______ never to Italy.
2. Choose the correct option.
1. Tom and I … friends since childhood.
a) has been
c) have been
2. Is it the second time you … Russia? No, I … Russia four or five times.
a) have been to / have been to
b) had been to / was in
c) were in / was in
d) was going to / was to
3. Suvorov never ... a single battle.
a) has lost
c) did lose
d) hasn't lost
4. Why … you enter the college in 2000?
c) were not
5. … you … my letter from the USA yet? I … it to you a week ago.
a) have – receiving / was sending
b) did – receive / sent
c) have – received / sent
d) are – received / sent
6. ... you ... the newspaper today?
a) have / read
b) did / read
c) have / readed
d) did / readed
7. Last night my neighbour … you in a perfumer's shop.
c) have seen
8. We … to throw a party three days ago but mother … no.
a) have decided / have said
b) decided / said
c) has decided / said
d) were deciding / say
9. He ... his work yet.
a) didn't finish
b) haven't finished
c) hasn't finished
d) hadn't finished
10. We … a kitten 2 months ago.
b) have bought
c) were buying
1 have just had, 2 haven’t seen, 3 have known /was, 4 has had / came, 5 went, 6 jumped, 7 haven’t read, 8 has already eaten / ate, 9 started /have completed, 10 have never been