1. Put the verbs into the correct tense (Past Simple or Past Progressive).
1.While Tom _____________(read) Amely ______________(watch) a documentary on TV.
2. Marvin ________(come) home, ____(switch) on the computer and _____(check) his emails.
3. The thief ___(sneak) into the house, ___(steal) the jewels and ____ (leave) without a trace.
4. Nobody ______________(listen) while the teacher________(explain) the tenses.
5. While we ___________(do) a sight-seeing tour our friends_______(lie) on the beach.
6. He ________(wake) up and __________(look) at his watch.
2. Put the verbs into the correct tense (Past Simple or Past Perfect).
1.The removal van __________(arrive) before they ________(finish) packing.
2. Before they ___________(move) to this town, they _________(live) in Chicago.
3.After the kids ___________(eat) their lunch, they __________(take) a little nap.
4.After school we always _________(meet) at the youth club.
5.Soon after sunrise we ____(cycle) to an observation point that I __never ___(hear) of before.
6.When I _________(come) home, my mother ______ already_____(prepare) dinner.
7.When Monica _______(finish) her homework, she _______(go) out to play with her friends.
8.When we ______(meet) Andrew, we ____________(tell) him about our plans.
3. Complete the sentences with used to/would.
1.We ________________live in a small town, but now we live in Moscow.
2.Whenever Kate was hungry, she ________________ eat a small piece of cheese.
3.I ________________ play football a lot when I was at school.
4.She was very generous. No matter how much she had, she________ always share it with people in need.
5.Tom ______think Nick was unfriendly, but it turned out that he was a really nice man.