Form 8 Term 1
I. Choose the correct answer for each question.
1. What is the national emblem of Ireland?
a) Clover b) Shamrock c) Leprechaum d) Blarney stone
2. What is the national flower of England?
a) Dahlia b) Daffodil c) Tulip d) Rose
3. What is the national flower of Wales?
a) Daffodil b) Snowdrop c) Bluebell d) Tulip
4. What is the national emblem of Scotland?
a) Heather b) Rosemary c) Foxglove d) Thistle
5. Which of the following is the capital city of Britain?
a) Maidstone b) London c) Manchester d) Scotland
6. Who is the current monarch?
a) King George b) Queen Elizabeth I c) Queen Elizabeth II d) Queen Elizabeth III
7. Which of the following is a well – known British food?
a) Frogs legs b) Chicken c) Pasta d) Fish and chips
8. The highest point in the UK
a) Kinder Scout, England b) Snowdon, Wales c) Ben Nevis , Scotland d) Helvellyn, England
9. Which of the following is not the patron saint of the UK?
a) St. Harry b) St.George c)St. Andrew d) St. David
10. How many countries are there in the UK?
a) 4 b) 3 c) 1 d) 2
11. Who is the current Prime Minister?
a) Thomas Adam b) Tony Blair c) John Frazer d) George Bush
12. This is man is a symbol of the British nation. His name is
a) Uncle Sam b) John Bull c) Winston Churchill d) Tony Blair
13. The capital of Northern Ireland is
a) Dublin b) Cardiff c) Belfast d) Blackpool
14. The British flag is often called
a) The Union Jack b) The Stars and Stripes c) The Maple Leaf d) The Beaver
15. Ben Nevis is
a) a famous footballer b) a sort of juice c) a sort of cheese d) a famous mountain
II. Answer the questions.
1. What kind of state is Britain?
a) a republic b) a presidential republic c) a parliamentary monarchy d) a monarchy
2. Who is the official head of state in Great Britain?
a) the King b) the Queen c) the President d) the Prime Minister
3. What does the queen do?
a) she supervises order in the country b) she fulfils her tradition and ceremonial duties
c) she rules the country d) she is a model of public behaviour
4. Is she rich or poor?
a) she is poor b) she earns money c) she is one of the world’s richest woman d) she is rich
5. Has she got many children?
a) she has got the only one child, Prince Charles b) she has got four children
c) she has no children at all d) she has a nephew
6. Is Prince Charles her first son?
a) he is her first nephew b) he is her third child c) he is her first child d) he is her grandson
7. How many grandchildren has she got?
a) she has got her first grandchildren b) she has got only grandaughters
c) she has no grandchildren d) she is going to be a granny
8. Whose son is her first grandson?
a) he is her son Charles’s son b) he is her cousin’s son
c) he is princess Anne’s son d) he is her nephew’s son
9. When was he born?
a) he was born on New Year’s Eve b) he was born on November 15,1927
c) he was born before Christ d) he was not born
10.What pets does Elizabeth like?
a) she likes cats b) she likes dogs c) she likes parrots (pollies) d) she likes horses
III. Write the advertisement “Welcome to the UK “ using the introductory phrases in 7 sentences.
Start each sentence with the advertising vocabulary.
IV. Match the following word combinations with the definition.
1.the swiftest flowing river in the UK a) Tweed
2.the capital of the UK b) Stonehenge
3.the most important river in England c) Cardiff
4.the largest country in the UK d) Birmingham
5.the woolen fabric which bears the name of the river e) Manchester
6.one of the oldest settlements f) Spey
7.the capital of Wales g) London
8. the second largest city in Great Britain h) Thames
9. the centre of the cotton industry in England i) Dublin
10. the capital of Ireland j) England