Test Вставьте недостающий элемент:
1. I ... be there in half an hour, or it will be late,
a) can b) must c) may d) be able to
2. You ...go to the market. I've already bought everything,
a) must b) mustn 't c) needn 't d) have no to
3. Don't go out. It ...be a storm,
a) can b) may c) is d) need
4. You will ... speak Spanish in another few months,
a) can b) have c) be to d) be able to
5. My husband ... get up early on Fridays,
a) is able to b) haves to c) has to d) need
6. Little children like books with large print. They ... read them more easily,
a) should b) must c) can d) might
7. My dentist says I ... eat so many sweets.
a ) mustn 't b) ought not с) need no d) shouldn 't
8. - My daughter 'sjust got a scholarship to Stanford.
- You ...be very proud of her.
a) could b) must c) might to d) are to
9. Being a good swimmer he ... swim to the shore when the boat sank,
a) could b) managed c) might d) was able to
10. 1 need this book badly. ... bring it tomorrow ?
a) may you b) might you c) can you d) will you be able to
11. 1 missed my plane sol ... to take another one.
a) must b) were to c) could d) had
12. We ...to act as guides at the party.
a) had b) may c) were d) must
13. 1 ... have someone to show me the way to the station.
a) could b) might c) should d) had to
14. She ...jump higher when she studied at college,
a) had to b) needn 't c) were to d) could
15. We ... to rewrite our test next week.
a) must b) will able to c) be allowed d) will have
16. Bob studies Russian. He... already speak Russian a little,
a) must b) may c) should d) can
17. 1 ... say anything about this accident.
a) must b) can't c) am allowed to d) am able to
18. Harry ...to get the tickets.
a) wasn 't able b) wasn 't allowed c) ought to d) hadn 't to
19. My niece ... cook well.
a) may not b) may c) can't d) has to
20. 1 ... to go to the bank yesterday since I was out of money.
a) was able b) might c) had d) was allowed
1. Jack has got a headache. He … sleep well recently.
b) couldn’t have
c) hasn’t been able to
2. I … sleep for hours when I was a little girls.
b) am able to
3. Tom … play tennis well but he … play a game yesterday because he was ill.
a) couldn’t, could
b) can, was able
c) can, couldn’t
4. I didn’t want to be late for the meeting. We … meet at 5 sharp.
a) were to
b) had to
5. Where are my gloves? — I … put them on because it’s cold today.
b) have to
6. You … take an umbrella today. The Sun is shining.
7. I’m sorry, you didn’t invite me to your birthday party. You … invite me next time.
c) need to
8. Well, it’s 10 o’clock. I … go now.
b) has to
9. You … smoke so much.
10. We have got plenty of time. We … hurry.
There is a mistake in each sentence. Correct the mistakes.
1. Actors may learn a lot of dialogues by heart.
2. Your glass is empty. Must I refill it?
3. Would I introduce Mr. Brown to you?
4. My sister can to play a few musical instruments.
5. Some years ago I didn’t can speak English.
Вставьте подходящие модальные глаголы (must, may, can,
need, to have to, to be able to).
1. You ... not come to help them tomorrow: the work is done. 2. You ... not change the whole text as the beginning is all right. You... only rewrite the second part of it. 3. ... you help me now? — I am afraid not: I am in a great hurry. I shall be free in the evening. Come to my place at about eight, and I ... help you. 4. John ... not tell us the rules of the game: we know them. 5. ... I return the book to you on Friday? I am afraid I ... not finish it before. — No, that is too late. You ... bring it to me not later than Wednesday. 6. It is already six o'clock. We ... hurry if we don't want to be late. 7. ...you translate this text into English? — I think I ... . 8. They spent all the morning on the river bank. Only Ann ... return home as she... not stay in the sun for such a long time. 9. How do you feel when you ... take a test? — I'm always a little frightened and
unhappy. 10. She ... decorate a room nicely. 11. We ... not afford to pay the bill. 12. He's got a lung problem and he ... go to hospital every two weeks. 13. Ann ... not go to his birthday party yesterday because she ... go to the dentist. 14. You ... take medicine three times a day before meals. You ... not stop taking it until you have finished the bottle. Don't forget. You ... drink water as much as you .... You ... get up tomorrow if you like. You ... not stay in bed
all the time. But you ... not do any work at all. You ... just relax for a few days.
Упражнение 1. Вместо пробелов вставьте необходимые по смыслу модальные глаголы (could, must, should, may, to be allowed to). Следите за контекстом и предлагаемыми ситуациями:
1. You ___ do your homework for tomorrow.
2. You ___ be more careful.
3. Mike ___ run very fast.
4. Take care: you ___ fall.
5. After they had finished their homework, the children ___ watch TV.
6. Jim asked Mum if he ___ take the dog with him.
7. I ___ read a count when I was 4 years old.
Упражнение 2. Вставьте необходимые по смыслу модальные глаголы или их эквиваленты (can, may, needn’t, shouldn’t, mustn’t, must). Следите за порядком слов в вопросительном и отрицательном предложении:
1. You ___ not come to help them tomorrow: the work is done.
2. ___ you help me now? — I’m afraid not. I’m in a hurry.
3. - Granny, ___ I eat all of it?
- Yes, you ___ if you ___ .
4. You ___ not go home alone!
5. ___ I read all the books by tomorrow?
- No you ___ not.
6. You ___ not cross the river here!
7. He ___ not have sold his piano.
Упражнение 3. Запишите предложения, раскрыв скобки:
1. I (can not) ski when I was little.
2. He (to have) stay at home because it was cold.
3. He (to be) come here at 5 o’clock.
4. She (need not) buy bread.
5. It (may) have been worse.
6. I (can) get only two tickets yesterday.
7. You (ought) to repair the chair.
Упражнение 4. Вместо русских глаголов вставьте английские модальные глаголы:
1. I (вынужден был) get up early yesterday.
2. The train (должен был) arrive at 6 p.m.
3. My friends (может) speak two foreign languages.
4. I (мог, был в состоянии) run faster when I was younger.
5. I (смогу) call you when I am free.
6. (Можно) I come in?
7. You (не следовало бы) have given him so many sweets before dinner.
Упражнение 5. Завершите разделительный вопрос.
Lena cannot swim, ___ ?
2. You mustn’t give up your studies, ___ ?
3. They have to put up with me, ___ ?
4. He had to complete the test very quickly, ___ ?
5. They may join our game, ___ ?
6. The students couldn’t get books for the lesson, ___ ?
7. They must follow this diet strictly, ___ ?
Ключ: 1) must, 2) should, 3) can, 4) may, 5) were allowed to, 6) might, 7) could
Ключ: 1) needn’t, 2) can, 3) may, may, can, 4) must not, 5) must, need not, 6) must not, 7) should not.
1. I could (или coudn’t) not ski when I was little.
2. He had to stay at home because it was cold.
3. He is to come here at 5 o’clock.
4. She need not (или needn’t) buy bread.
5. It might have been worse.
6. I could get only two tickets yesterday.
7. You ought to repair the chair.
1. I had to get up early yesterday.
2. The train was to arrive at 6 p.m.
3. My friend can speak two foreign languages.
4. I could run faster when I was younger.
5. I shall be able to call you when I am free.
6. May I come in?
7. You oughtn’t (или ought not) to have given him so many sweets before dinner.
1. can she?
2. must you?
3. don’t they?
4. didn’t he?
5. may they not?
6. could they?
7. mustn’t they?