Эл. №ФС77-60625 от 20.01.2015
Педагогическая деятельность в соответствии с новым ФГОС требует от учителя наличия системы специальных знаний в области анатомии, физиологии, специальной психологии, дефектологии и социальной работы.
Только сейчас Вы можете пройти дистанционное обучение прямо на сайте "Инфоурок" со скидкой 40% по курсу повышения квалификации "Организация работы с обучающимися с ограниченными возможностями здоровья (ОВЗ)" (72 часа). По окончании курса Вы получите печатное удостоверение о повышении квалификации установленного образца (доставка удостоверения бесплатна).
Автор курса: Логинова Наталья Геннадьевна, кандидат педагогических наук, учитель высшей категории. Начало обучения новой группы: 27 сентября.
Подать заявку на этот курс Смотреть список всех 216 курсов со скидкой 40%
The black cat. English reading. ІІ ч.
Boat to Beirut
It was now after seven o’clock in the evening. The train from Cairo had arrived at Alexandria at half past two. Perhaps Pearson’s murderer was already on a boat to Beirut.
“We must phone Alexandria,” said Salahadin to Ahmed.
Salahadin picked up the telephone. He asked for the police at the docks in Alexandria. After about ten minutes, the telephone rang. It was the call to Alexandria.
“This is Salahadin El Nur speaking. I’m a police inspector and I want to speak to your chief.”
The chief of the dock police came to the telephone. Salahadin asked some questions and wrote the answers down in his notebook.
Here are his notes.
A tall man with fair hair arrived at the docks at six o’clock.
Man was carrying a heavy box.
He had a Swedish passport.
All the papers already sent to Cairo.
Man said the box was full of books.
Box was not opened – police do not open every box.
Two boats had left Alexandria after 4.30 p.m.
A boat left at 6.30 for Beirut.
Its name – The Sudan.
Another boat left for Athens at 7 p.m.
Its name – The Syria.
Man said he was going to Beirut.
The police did not see him getting on the boat for Beirut.
Salahadin put down the telephone and looked at his notes for some time. Then he spoke to Ahmed.
“Pearson’s murderer has gone to Beirut,” he said. “I’m sure of that.”
“Then we can send a message to the boat,” said Ahmed.
“No, we won’t do that,” said Salahadin. “We’re not really certain. Many men have fair hair and many men carry heavy boxes. I must meet him. I must speak to him.”
“But how can you do that?” asked Ahmed. “It’s too late now. The boat has already left.”
“I can get to Beirut before him,” replied Salahadin. “Today’s Monday. The boat won’t be in Beirut until tomorrow evening. I can take an aeroplane.”
“And the plane takes only two hours,” said Ahmed.
“That’s right,” said Salahadin. “I’ll take a plane tomorrow morning and I’ll be in Beirut before middy.”
“That’s a good idea,” said Ahmed. “You can meet this man on the docks at Beirut.”
“And now I must go. I’ve a lot to do,” said Salahadin. “I must book a seat on the aeroplane and get a ticket. I’ll see you later. Thanks for your help. Good bye”.
The Black Cat
Salahadin got home very late. It was nearly midnight and he was very tired. But his work was not yet finished. He took some pieces of paper out of his wallet. They were the pieces of paper from Pearson’s room. Salahadin sat down and looked at Pearson’s notes.
The pharaoh Ankuten.
This pharaoh did not live long.
He died when he was still a boy.
1) Where was Ankuten buried?
Ankuten was going to the Sudan when he died.
The Valley of Zar is beside the road to the Sudan.
Was Ankuten buried in the Valley of Zar?
2) What was buried with Ankuten in his tomb?
Was there a cat buried with Ankuten?
There are many old stories about a black cat.
Ankuten loved black cats.
When he died, a black cat was put in his tomb.
But this cat was very unusual.
It was made of gold. Its eyes were diamonds. There was a collar of diamonds round its neck.
Is this story true or not?
3) Why was the cat covered with black paint?
Fear of robbers.
Black paint hid the gold and diamonds. A cat painted in thick black paint did not look valuable.
Questions that must be answered:
Is Ankuten buried in the Valley of Zar?
Is there a black cat in his tomb?
Is the black cat made of gold?
Or is it made of wood?
Are the stories true or false?
Salahadin read the notes again. He asked himself some questions. Did Pearson find the tomb of Ankuten? he asked himself. Did he find a black cat? And is the black cat made of gold?
There was a reason for Pearson’s death. Was the Black Cat the reason?
There are too many questions, thought Salahadin. I must find some answers. The answers are in the missing box and it’s probably on its way to Beirut. I’ll be there tomorrow.
At half past ten the next morning Salahadin arrived at Beirut airport. The airport lies to the south of the city and the docks are in the north. One road from the airport to the docks goes through the centre of the city. Another road goes beside the sea.
Salahadin got into a taxi. He told the driver to take the road beside the sea. The sun was shining on the city and there was a mist on the hills behind. The air was fresh and cool. Salahadin felt very happy in Beirut. It was nice and cool after the heat and dust of Cairo.
When he got to the docks, he asked about the boat from Alexandria.
“The Sudan” did not arrive at Beirut until half past six in the evening. Salahadin had more than six hours to wait. He decided to visit a friend called Fuad.
Fuad had been a student with Salahadin at Cairo University. He now worked in the Lebanese Department of Antiquities in Beirut. His office was in a large museum in the north – east part of the city. Salahadin took a taxi to the museum.
Fuad was surprised and pleased to see him.
“We’ll have lunch together,” said Fuad. “I’ll phone my wife immediately.”
Ten minutes later they were in Fuad’s car. Fuad lived in a small village in the mountains above Beirut. The road was very steep. It twisted and turned up the mountain.
“This road is dangerous,” said Salahadin.
“You’re right,” replied Fuad. “And it’s more dangerous higher up. People are often killed up there.”
But it was also very beautiful. It was spring and the trees and the flowers were fresh and green. Some people were already selling fruit beside the road. They had large baskets of strawberries.
The car soon arrived at Fuad’s house. Fuad’s wife, Leila, was waiting for them.
“Hello, Salahadin,” said Leila, “It’s nice to see you again. We’ve a lot to talk about. But first, we’ll have lunch.”
After lunch they sat out on the verandah and drank coffee. They talked about Cairo and their friends there. From the verandah, they looked down towards the tall buildings of Beirut. Behind the buildings were the docks and the sea.
“Now,” said Fuad, “Why are you in Beirut?”
Salahadin told Fuad about the death of Pearson. He told him, also, about the man with fair hair.
“I want to be at the docks at six o’clock,” said Salahadin. “I’m going to meet “The Sudan”. It arrives at half past six.”
“I’ll take you there in my car,” said Fuad.
They sat on the verandah and talked together. The time passed quickly and soon they had to leave for the docks.
“Bring Salahadin back here,” said Leila to Fuad. “Our house is more comfortable than a hotel. He must stay here tonight.”
Salahadin thanked Leila and stood up.
“It’s getting cold,” he said.
“Yes,” replied Fuad. “You’re wearing summer clothes. This is not Cairo. It’s cold here in the mountains. It’s cold sometimes even in summer. I’ll get you a warm coat. You’ll need it later.”
At five o’clock, Salahadin and Fuad left the house. They said goodbye to Leila and drove down the steep road towards Beirut.
1. Find translation to the combinations
to be on a boat
at the docks
to send the papers
to see smb. getting on the boat
to send a message
a lot to do
to be not really certain
бачити, як хтось сідає на човен
бути на човні
бути не досить впевненим
2. Tick the best answer.
1. The train from Cairo had arrived at
a) 2.30 p.m.
b) 1.30 a.m.
c) 3.45 p.m.
d) 2.15 a.m.
2. Man with fair hair was carrying
a) a heavy box
b) an Egyptian book
c) a casket with diamonds
d) a suitcase
3. The stranger said his box was full of
4. The boat’s name which left Alexandria at half past six was
a) The Lebanon
b) The Sudan
c) The Syria
d) The Cairo
5. The strange man said he was going
6. Salahadin wanted
a) to kill the murderer
b) to find the missing box
c) to speak to murderer
d) to give up the case of Pearson’s death
7. Salahadin decided
a) to take an aeroplane
b) to buy a new gun
c) to relax
d) to invite his friends
8.The plane takes
a) one hour
b) two hours
c) three hours
d) one week
3. Write down antonyms to the words.
to put down_____________________________________________________________________________________
4. Write down special questions to the sentences.
1. The chief of the dock police came to the telephone.
2. All the papers have already been sent to Cairo.
3. Salahadin put down the telephone and looked at his notes for some time.
4. Then we can send a message to the boat.
5. I’ll take a plane tomorrow morning and I’ll be in Beirut before middy.
5. Unjumble the letters to find the words from the store and complete the sentences.
1. BOOKETON Inspector wrote down the answers in his …
2. ASYRI Another boat’s name is …
3. CKODS The detective could meet the man on the …
4. PELH He thanked for Ahmed’s …
5. ADIE Salahadin had an …
6. CKETIT He wanted to buy a …
7. DIMYAD He’ll be in Beirut before …
6. Put the sentences into Past forms.
1. We must phone Alexandria.
2. This is Salahadin speaking.
3. Here are his notes.
4. How can you do that?
5. The boat has already left.
6. Today’s Monday.
7. I can take an airplane.
8. I’m sure of that.
9. I’ve a lot to do.
10. You can meet this man on the docks
7. Guess the meaning.
1. The system of transmitting the human voice by electric current, through wires.
2. Men and women belonging to a department of government concerned with the keeping of public order.
3. Leader of ruler; head of department or senior staff officer.
4. That part of the day between sunset and bedtime.
5. Heavier – than – air flying machine with one or more engines.
1.Find translation to the combinations:
to be tired
to be buried
collar of diamonds
round the neck
to be covered with
a reason for
бути покритим чимось
нашийник із діамантами
2. Tick the best answer.
1. Salahadin took some pieces of paper from …
a) Ahmed’s room
b) Pearson’s room
c) his room
d) murderer’s room
2. The Pharaon … did not live long.
3. The pharaon was going to … when he died.
4. Ankuten loved black …
5. A black cat was put in the …
a) missing box
6. The cat was made of …
3. Translate the sentences from Ukrainian into English.
1. Єгипет – це країна з багатою історією, яка зберігає таємниці фараонів, пірамід і безмежних пустель.
2. Говорять, що цей антикваріат дуже дорогий.
3. Життя Саладіна було досить спокійним, доки не вбили археолога.
4. Детектив шукав убивцю уже 3 дні до того, як надійшло повідомлення.
4. Make up sentences with these words.
1. A, buried, was, Ankuten, cat, with.
2. This, Sudan, is, the, road, to, beside, valley.
3. The, black, gold, is, made, cat, of.
4. Was, robbers, of, it, the, fear.
5. Box, are, answers, the, in, missing, the.
5. Put a, an, the in the sentences.
1. … Salahadin is … detective.
2. …his work is … very dangerous.
3. It’s hard to find … murderer.
4. … Pearson lived in … Egypt.
5. … boat’s … name was … “Sudan”.
6. … plane is … fastest … kind of … transport.
7. … porters were carrying … boxes.
8. … pharaon loved … cats.
9. … there were … things for digging in … boxes.
10. … wind was blowing between … buildings.
6. Put when, if, because in the sentences.
1. I’m strong and healthy, ______________ I make a long - distance race every morning.
2. __________________ you don’t want to eat this dish, throw it away.
3. The girl was carrying the ticket carefully, __________________ she did not want to bend it.
4. ________________ did you find this photo?
5. He was interested in fishing, ___________________ he was young.
6. I’ll finish your task for you, ________________ you want.
7. Guess the meaning.
1. Place dug in the ground, cut out of rock, etc for a dead body. ____________________________
2. Account of past or imaginary events. ____________________________
3. Folding pocket – case for papers, banknotes, etc. ____________________________
4. Not right; based on wrong ideas, etc. ____________________________
5. Brilliant precious stone of pure carbon in crystallized form. ____________________________
1.Find translation to the combinations
to go through
heat and dust
to be pleased to
to turn up
жара і пил
2. Tick the best answer.
1. The airport lies to … of the city.
a) to the south
b) to the west
c) to the east
d) to the north
2. Salahadin felt very happy in Beirut because …
a) this place was better than Cairo
b) Beirut was his homeland
c) he lived there
d) he had a rest there
3. The detective had more than 6 hours to wait, so he decided …
a) to go the best Beirut’s restaurant
b) to find out information about Pharaon Ankuten
c) to visit his friend
d) to wait for the strange man at the docks
4. Fuad’s office was in …
a) the museum
b) the theatre
c) the university
d) the embassy
5. Fuad offered Salahadin …
a) to wait at his office
b) to make an excursion round the Beirut
c) to go to the shopping centre
d) to have a lunch
6. After lunch friends sat out on the verandah and …
a) read magazines
b) drank coffee
c) sang their favourite songs
d) recollected their student years
7. At five o’clock Salahadin and Fuad …
a) read books in Fuad’s library
b) decided to go to the swimming pool
c) left the house
d) caught the strange man
3. Find mistakes and correct them.
1. The friends arrived to a docks.
2. Let me to follow the black car.
3. Borkman made us to wait for three hour.
4. Salahadin are often here at the evening.
5. He have never spoken to me.
3.Form nouns from the following adjective
heavy – ________________________
strange – ________________________
difficult – ________________________
fresh – ________________________
happy – ________________________
large – ________________________
dangerous – ________________________
green – ________________________
comfortable – ________________________
warm – ________________________
5. Fill in : a rarity, as soon as possible, to borrow, to get, to earn, to lend.
I want to buy this car _____________________________ because its price _________________ higher and higher. My friend said, that car was _________________. Such cars were produced at the beginning of the 19th century/ . I have not enough money, but my friends promised ____________________ me missing sum. But I think it’s dangerous ___________________ such sum of money, that’s why I’m going to wait and _______________ enough money for buying by myself.
6. Fill in “the” where necessary.
1. … hotel is in … south of … city.
2. … road was beside … sea.
3. … sun was hidden beside … clouds.
4. … policeman was going to visit … Beirut.
5. After finishing school I intend to study at … Cairo University.
6. My friend is fond of mountains and he is going to climb … Everest.
7. … Fuad’s wife offered Salahadin to have … lunch.
7. Guess the meaning.
1. Water vapoured in the air.
2. Rising or falling sharply.
3. Lying on the ground or the surface of objects, or blown about the wind.
4. Mass of very high land going up to peak.
5. Meal taken in the middle of day.
Краткое описание документа:
The black cat. English reading. Книга для читання. 4 - 6 частини
Посібник призначений сприяти розвитку навичок читання англійською мовою.
Даний посібник складається з двох частин: з текстової частини та лексико-граматичних післятекстових завдань, які розроблені на основі художнього тексту " Чорний кіт".
Видання рекомендується для учнів шкіл, гімназій, ліцеїв в ході підготовки до ЗНО з англійської мови та державної підсумкової атестації за курс повної загальної середньої освіти, а також для студентів неспеціальних факультетів ВНЗ та читачів, які вивчають англійську мову самостійно.
- Просмотры: 242
- Просмотры: 463
- Просмотры: 343
- Просмотры: 271
- Просмотры: 662
- Просмотры: 3454
- Просмотры: 285