I. Translate the following sentences defining the voice and the form of the Participle:
1. Find the sentences with the Participle and translate them:
1. The student is translating an article on semiconductors. 2. The article is being translated by the student. 3. The student translating the article is my group-mate. 4. The student has translated the article. 5. The article translated by the student is very difficult. 6. The translated article is connected with semiconductor properties. 7. Translating the article the student used a dictionary. 8. The article being translated is about the application of electricity. 9. Having been asked to translate the article, the student translated it with great interest. 10. Having translated the article, the student gave it to the teacher. 11. The teacher commented on the article translated, and returned it to the student.
2. 1. Speaking on semiconductors, one can mention silicon and germanium. 2. The problem solved helped to increase the performance of ICs. 3. Being widely used in industry, electrical motors are also used in every home. 4. Having mentioned the name of Edison, the teacher spoke about his invention. 5. Making this instrument we couldn’t do without machines operated by electricity. 6. Comparing the data obtained by our tests is the only means of solving the problem in question. 7. The engineers carried out the experiment looking at the scale of the thermometer from time to time. 8. Being rubbed amber obtains the ability of attracting objects. 9. He can do without electricity only going to the institute either on foot or by bicycle. 10. The student making the report is a very talented young scientist.
II. Translate the following sentences from Russian into English using the Participle and the Absolute Participle Construction:
1. Измерив температуру металла, мы начали измерять температуру воды. 2. Проработав год на заводе, мой друг поступил в институт. 3. Говоря об электрическом токе, нужно упомянуть имя Вольта. 4. Работая над новым устройством, изобретатель провёл важное исследование. 5. Атомы различных веществ обладают различным весом, притом их свойства тоже различны. 6. Когда эксперимент был завершён, мы могли обсудить полученные результаты. 7. Поскольку у магнита есть северный и южный полюс, мы можем использовать его в компасе. 8. Прочитав текст, мы начали переводить его. 9. Работая в лаборатории, студенты пользовались различными приборами. 10. Закончив перевод текста, мы сдали работы учителю.
III. Compare (a) and (b) paying attention to the Participle:
1. (a) Having brought the dictionaries from the library, the students began to translate the article.
(b) The dictionaries having been brought from the library, the students began to translate the article.
2. (a) Having finished my translation, I gave it to the teacher.
(b) The translation having been finished, I gave it to the teacher.
3. (a) The professor delivering the lecture is a famous scientist.
(b) The professor delivering the lecture, the students were listening to him with great interest.
4. (a) Having discovered the electric current, the scientists began experimenting with it.
(b) The source of electric current having been discovered, many scientists began experimenting with it.
5. (a) The students were making experiments in the laboratory using electrical devices.
(b) The students were making experiments in the laboratory, the electrical devices being used.
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|