Цели и задачи урока:
Развивающие. Развивать способности к осмысленности восприятия и к распределению внимания, к слуховой дифференциации, к логическому изложению содержания высказывания, к формулированию выводов из прочитанного и услышанного, развивать способности к коммуникабельности как явному или неявному выражению своего отношения к окружающей среде и экологии, развивать способности к самостоятельному труду и самооценке, развивать способности к вербализации, т.е. словесному выражению услышанного.
Учебные. Формирование и развитие навыков и умений всех видов речевой деятельности: умение работать с новой лексикой, аудировать незнакомый текст с извлечением основной информации, обсуждать проблемы по данной теме в монологических высказываниях, развивать навыки чтения с извлечением определенной информации, навыки письма при выполнении теста и квиза.
Воспитательные. Формирование гражданской позиции и чувства ответственности за сопричастность к проблемам экологии и окружающей среды, воспитание потребности приобщения к глобальным и местным проблемам, чувства любви и бережного отношения к окружающей среде. Развивать у детей познавательную активность на уроке.
Тип урока: совершенствование знаний, умений и навыков, полученных ранее, и целевого применения усвоенного как лексического, так и грамматического материала.
Вид урока: урок самостоятельных работ репродуктивного типа с элементами исследования.
Оснащение урока: компьютер, проектор, компьютерная презентация, видеоролики, раздаточный материал (упражнения, карточки и тест), плакат “How Long Do These Kinds Of Litter Last?”, магнитная доска.
На доске: Theme: “Ecology”, Motto: If every person swept their own doorstep, the city would soon be clean.
I. Организационный момент и приветствие. Сообщение целей урока. (2 min)
Teacher. Good morning, children! Good morning, dear guests! Well? Let’s start our work. We have a lot of work to do. Look at the blackboard.
(На магнитной доске находится рисунок планеты Земля, на которой из магнитов выложены глаза и грустная улыбка)
T - Look at our planet. It looks upset. Can you guess why?
P - It has got so many problems.
T - What problems of the environment do you know?
P - Pollution, litter, animals and plants become extinct …
T: You are right. Today we are going on talking about the ecology.
(Учитель пишет тему “Ecology” на доске, где заранее написано слово “Theme:”)
So, the theme of our lesson is “Ecology”. What is ecology?
P: Ecology is a science about nature and relations of men and the natural world.
T: And now let’s read the motto of our lesson: If every person swept their own doorstep, the city would soon be clean. Can you give Russian equivalent for this statement?
People all over the world think about our planet. They think about air, water, plants and animals. They say our planet is in danger. Many people don’t know how to keep the water clean and the air fresh. But they are ready to do it.
II. Pечевая разминка. (2 min.) T: Now I`d like you to answer some questions:
What planet do we live on? Have you ever had a picnic?
Coming back from the picnic, from the forest or from the beach, do you always take your litter with you? Do you make fire in the forest?
Have you planted at least one tree?
Do you feed birds or squirrels in winter?
Can you name one endangered species?
Do you pick the flowers up?
Do you allow your cats to catch the birds?
What is older: nature or mankind?
Do plants sleep? Do stones have souls?
III. Проверка домашнего задания. (5 min.)
T: Do you remember the words we learnt last time? Let’s see. Firstly let’s check your home task. What was your home task? Remind the task, please.
1. Choose the word that you think is right (in four cases both are possible).
tin(s) — can(s)
1. He opened a … of coke. 2. I can't find the … of beans I bought yesterday. 3. How many … of tomatoes shall I buy?
to spoil — to ruin (and their forms)
1. The cook … the soup as he had put a lot of salt in. 2. After the war many towns and villages were … 3. The food will … if you don't keep it cool. 4. Grandmothers often … their grandchildren.
crisis — disaster
1. His last day at work was a … 2. Sometimes a rainstorm can be а … З. A few years ago the country had a political … .
a bit — a lot
1. Let's stay here … longer. I like the performance … 2. He remembered … more about me than I did about him. 3. My sister's boots were … too small. 4. They talk a … about this problem.
IV. Актуализация ранее изученной лексики. (10 min.)
2. Match the two columns to get a correct sentence.
– a gas that makes up about 21% of the earth`s atmosphere, all the creatures living on the earth need it to survive.
– the situation when animals and plants die out and are gone from the Earth forever (like Dinosaurs).
- the situation when harmful gases from cars and power stations come into the air and then fall back to the earth with rain and snow.
– tropical evergreen woodlands, they receive a lot of rain every year
– an area where an animal or plant lives, gets food and water.
– animals and plants in danger to become extinct.
– a layer of gas high in the sky which protects us from the ultraviolet radiation of the sun.
3. Find the odd word out:
1. heat, sunshine, shower, mammal, weather
2. huge, daily, misty, praise, fragile
3. disaster, mess, society, crisis
4. birds, mammals, insects, shortage, fish
5. pollution, cooperation, greenhouse, population
6. pollute, produce, destroy, damage, atmosphere, poison
V. Активизация грамматического материала (7 min.)
(if/when clauses – условные предложения первого типа)
Teacher: When we speak about suggestions and solutions to problems we normally use conditionals type 1 in such sentences. And now I want you to revise how to form it?
P: We use “if + present simple + will + bare infinitive”
4. Match the two columns to get a correct sentence.
1. we won't be protected from ultraviolet radiation.
2. If people stay in direct sunlight for a long time,
2. they will clean air again.
3. If there is no ozone layer in the atmosphere,
3. they will cause nuclear pollution.
4. If people use filters at nuclear power stations,
4. they will get ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
5. If factories dump their waste in the rivers,
5. they will solve the environmental problems.
6. If people want to survive,
6. they will become dirty and poisoned.
5. Open the brackets to make the sentences completed. Write the sentences down.
1. If we (take) care of our planet, it won't be in danger.
2. If people don't waste water, there (not be) serious water shortages in many parts of the world.
3. I will cycle to work, if I (not have) a car,
4. If factories (not pour) chemicals into rivers, they won't be polluted.
5. If people don't leave rubbish on beaches, they (not be) dirty.
VII. Совершенствование навыков устной речи по теме
a) Beauty Must Be Protected (2 min)
6. An Apple As the World.
Look at the apple, use your imagination and say what the apple could represent.
Cut the apple into quarters: ¾ of the Earth is water, ¼ is land.
1/4:2=1/2 of land is habitable; ½ of land is deserts, mountains, forests, ice and snow. People can`t live there.
Habitable land: 4=1/4 of the habitable land, or 1/32 of the Earth is where all food comes from.
Question: What would happen if this part of the world were damaged and destroyed? (pupil eats this piece of apple)
Conclusion: We must protect our planet.
b) декламирование стихотворения “Change to green”(2 min)
Rub your eyes and look around,
Litter lying on the ground,
Bottles, cans and polythene-
Take the tip and change to green!
Forests going up in smoke,
Cities fit to make you choke,
Nowhere left to be that’s clean -
Take a breath and change to green!
Animals and plants have died,
People starve to feed our pride,
For the life that might have been
Take a stand and change to green!
7. QUIZ: “How Green Are You?” Here is a quiz to see how green you are and how well informed you are about the environment. As we have already known Green here means environmentally friendly. Read the questions and choose the answer you agree most with. Are your answers mostly a, b or c? See the key to find out how green you are. It will be your homework.
c) Устные высказывания (обобщение полученной информации) (7 min)
8. T: Here are some environmental problems: water pollution, ozone holes, disposing of the garbage. Take cards with words and phrases, please. Look through the list of words. I’ll give you about a minute to make up a short topic, these words will help you to do it.
Words on the topics:
to kill animals
to destroys their habitats
to be in danger
be able to recover to be cut down
to help to control the world's weather
to produce the oxygen
Many endangered species — fish, reptiles, insects, birds, mammals — may disappear. The reason is that Man kills animals and destroys their habitats. It is not just animals that are in danger. So are plants. A lot of forests are so badly damaged that they will hardly be able to recover. When the trees are cut down, the forest becomes a desert. The huge forests help to control the world's weather and to produce much of the oxygen in the air.
2. the greenhouse effect
to warm the atmosphere
to go back into space
to become warmer
winter and summer temperatures
to work like glass in a greenhouse
to get in/to get out
Have you ever heard about the greenhouse effect? It works like this: sunlight gives us heat. Some of the heat warms the atmosphere, and some of the heat goes back into space. Nowadays the air surrounding the earth has become much warmer because the heat can't go back into space. That's why winter and summer temperatures in many places have become higher.
During the last 100 years people have produced a lot of carbon dioxide. This gas in the atmosphere works like glass in a greenhouse. It lets heat get in, but it doesn't let much heat get out. So the atmosphere becomes warmer.
3. Water pollution:
ocean, sea, rivers and lakes
to be used as a dump
The Pacific Ocean
to test nuclear weapons
industrial and nuclear waste
to leave their habitats
factories and plants
to pour into
There is no ocean or sea which is not used as a dump. The Pacific Ocean, especially, has suffered from nuclear pollution because the French Government tests nuclear weapons there. Many seas are used for dumping industrial and nuclear waste. This poisons and kills fish and sea animals. "Nuclear-poisoned" fish can be eaten by people.
Many rivers and lakes are poisoned too. Fish and reptiles can't live in them. There is not enough oxygen in the water. In such places all the birds leave their habitats and many plants die. If people drink this water they can die too. It happens so because factories and plants produce a lot of waste and pour it into rivers. So they poison the water.
4. the ozone layer:
to spend too much time
to cause skin cancer
holes in the ozone layer
to get to the earth
the result of air pollution
More and more often people are told not to spend too much time in direct sunlight, because ultraviolet radiation from the sun can cause skin cancer. Normally the ozone layer in the atmosphere protects us from such radiation, but if there are holes in the ozone layer ultraviolet radiation can get to the earth. Many scientists think that these holes are the result of air pollution.
5. air pollution:
to release sulfates
mix with the clouds
nuclear power stations
to go wrong
to cause nuclear pollution
cannot be seen
can be terrible.
to make air clean
cars and buses.
Air pollution is also a very serious problem. Because many factories release sulfates into the air. When the sulfates mix with the clouds, acid rains fall and harm all living creatures. Nuclear power stations can go wrong and cause nuclear pollution. Nuclear pollution cannot be seen but its effects can be terrible.
To make air clean again we need good filters at nuclear power stations, at factories and plants and also in cars and buses.
clean air and clean water
to solve these problems
the whole earth
all over the world
speak about ecology.
Both clean air and clean water are necessary for our health. If people want to survive they must solve these problems quickly. Man is beginning to understand that his environment is not just his own town or country, but the whole earth. That's why people all over the world think and speak so much about ecology.
T: Thank you. Well done. To sum up our work let’s find out what we Should Do and what we Shouldn’t Do. Come here one by one, take any shit of paper you want, read it and say what we should do.
(ученики по одному выходят к доске, берут по карточке и прикрепляют к доске под соответствующем заголовком) (3 min)
have showers, not baths
plant more trees
be friendly with animals,
turn off the lights when you leave a room,
make laws to protect air, water and soil,
walk or use a bicycle,
solve ecological problems together,
use less electricity and gas,
clear rubbish from lakes and rivers
feed birds and help them
recycle1 used materials
Shouldn’t Do –
waste water, gas, energy, natural resources,
poison the water, air and soil,
turn the planet into a rubbish dump
kill animals for fun
dump or pour industrial waste into rivers, lakes, seas and oceans;
harm or hurt animals
(ученики остаются у доски для исполнения песни Майкла Джексона “The Earth Song”, во время исполнения идет клип песни) (3 min)
IX. Подведение итогов урока. (2 min)
T: Dear friends, our lesson is almost over. You’ve got marks and I think you are satisfied, you were very active, attentive and bright. I enjoyed your work at the lesson.
We all live on the tiny fragile planet. Our life and health are closely connected with the environment. The main problem of the lesson is solved, now you know how we can protect our environment and what we can do for this.