Adverbs of frequency
The open lesson
Theme: Adverbs of frequency
The aim of the lesson:
Continue shaping the skills in using lexis on the theme “health” and new theme “adverbs of frequency”.
Training: to develop spoken speech, skills in reading, understanding the text, using lexis.
To teach to take care of own health using adverbs
Visual aids and materials: an interactive board, pictures, charts, projects,
I) Organization moment.
Good afternoon, dear pupils and our guests! Welcome to our lesson.
Warm - up:
Clap, clap, clap your hands
Clap, clap, clap your hands together.
Stamp, stamp, stamp your feet,
Stamp, stamp, stamp your feet together.
Dance, dance, dance you dance,
Dance you dance together.
II) Checking up the home task
Today we shall see the results of your knowledge about health which we have known from our previous lesson. And today’s new theme is adverbs of frequency.
Before starting new theme let’s check up your home task. Your home task was exercise 6 on page 108. The text about the “Health Farm”. You must find the new words from the text which we repeated. They are:
Teenagers - жасөспірімдер
Weight - салмақ
Pоcket of biscuits - қалтадағы печенье
Changing the TV - теледидардағы арналарды ауыстыру
Diet - диета
Worried - мазасыздық
Depressed - тұнжыраңқы
Confidence - сенім, батылдық
Exercise 6 p 108 Health farm
1. “Thousands of teenagers are overweight, ’’ says Health Farm manager Mr. White, “Many teenagers often do not know how to eat well and stay healthy, like Karen.”
2. Karen was 13 years old. She weighed 80 kilos and was 1. 55cm tall. Karen usually had a large bowl of cereal for breakfast. At school she always had fried chicken and chips every lunch time. In the evening Karen usually had more fried food and she often ate a packet of biscuits or a box of chocolates in front of the television. Karen never ate any fruit and she rarely had fresh vegetables. Her main exercise was chaining the TV channel or opening the fridge.
3. Health Farm helped Karen with her diet and exercise plan. She now eats lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and goes swimming regularly. She never did any sport before because she was always so worried about her size. She now weighs 60 kilos and is still losing weight.
4. Mr. White says, “Teenagers often come to the Farm depressed and with very little confidence. When they leave us they are usually happier and much more confident about themselves.”
T: OK. Thank you very much. Let’s start our lesson. First of all, let’s divide the pupils into three groups.
Today’s lesson is devoted to one of the important part of speech - adverbs of frequency. First off all I’ll explain you What is the adverb? How to use them? Where to use them?
III) Presentation: Adverbs
According to their meaning adverbs are subdivided into adverbs of time, adverbs of place, adverbs of repetitions and frequency, adverbs of degree and adverbs of manner. But today we will speak about the adverbs of frequency.
Adverbs of frequency:
usually, sometimes, often, rarely, seldom, never
Adverbs describe verbs. They show us how, how often, when someone does something.
Adverbs usually go after verbs.
E. g. I usually wake up at 8 o’clock
Мен әдетте таңғы асымды сағат 8 де ішемін.
E. g. I never have a breakfast without my sister.
Мен ешқашан таңғы асымды сіңілімсіз ішпеймін
Adverbs of frequency tell us how often something happens:
These are: Always - (100%) - әрқашан
Usually - (75%)- әдетте
Often - (50%) - Жиі
Sometimes - (25%)- кейде
Seldom - (10%)- анда - санда
Never - (0%)- ешқашан
Position of adverb:
• Usually, always, never, sometimes, often, rarely
• Әдетте бұл үстеулер мағыналық етістіктің алдында қолданылады.
• E. g. I usually get up at 7 o’clock.
• I don’t often go to the cinema.
• She never eats bananas.
• We always watch TV in the evenings.
• I sometimes go swimming.
• Sometimes және usually сөйлемнің басында және соңында қолданы
• E. g. Sometimes I play tennis.
• Бұл үстеулер әрқашан to be етістігінен кейін қолданылады.
E. g. I am never late.
IV) Exercise 12 p 110.
Put the adverbs in brackets into the correct place in the sentences
1. Overweight teenagers eat the wrong kind of food.(usually)
2. They are depressed about their weight (often)
3. They eat fresh fruit and vegetables. (rarely)
4. Helen ate fruit when she was younger (never)
5. She bought chocolate at break time (always)
6. Do you eat the wrong kind of food (sometimes)