1. Find the word or phrase that best completes each sentence.
1. I think John _____ translate this document.
a) will have b) have to c) has d) will have to
2. This car is more ______ than that one.
a) fasest b) fast c)modern d) faster
3. I _____ breakfast when the phone rang.
a) am having b) was having c) had d) have
4. “Must I take my umbrella?” “No, you _____. It’s not going to rain”
a) mustn’t b) needn’t c) have to d) don’t
5. She hasn’t written to me _____ we met last time.
a) for b) before c) ago d) since
6. It’s Mr Smith, ________?
a) is it b)isn’t it c)isn’t he d)is not it
7. Couldn’t you go a little faster? I’m ______ a hurry.
a) of b) at c) on d) in
8. One of my neighbours has _______ me to tea.
a) invited b) welcomed c) pleased d) suggested
9. I’m __________ in the news.
a) interest b) interested c) interesting d) exciting
10. It’s a small town in the south _______ England.
a) – b) from c) of d) to
11. Mr.Smith woke up in the middle of the night. He could hear ______ in his garden.
a) everywhere b) anything c) anybody d) someone
12. I usually wear skirts, but today I _____ trousers.
a) am wearing b) wearing c) wears d) wear
13. “Have you ever been to France?” “Yes, I _______ there last August”.
a) were b) had been c) have been d) went
14. This record-shop ______be a book-shop a few years ago.
a) used to b) used c) use d) using
15. This question is _____ difficult for me.
a) enough b) to c) too d) such
16. She doesn’t like ____ television.
a) see b) looking c)watch d) watching
17. I was a bit worried because I thought I might _____ my train.
a) not reach b) lose c) miss d) be late
18. Can we ______ at your house and go to the party together?
a) come b) see c) meet d) find
19. How can I ______ the post-office?
a) get b) find c) arrive d) reach
20. He arrived _____ you were asleep.
a) while b) for c) until d) during