1.Your task is to put the missing letters
Abro_d, Abor_g_ne, K_ngaro_ , N_tive , Harb_ _r
2.There are 20 parts of 10 words. Try to combine them into the words. Read the words.
3.Read the sentence and say if it is true or false
1) Canberra is the home of Australia’s government. 2) Sydney is the capital of Australia. 3) Sydney is the largest and the oldest city in Australia. 4) Canberra is a “cyclist’s paradise”. 5) Sydney Opera House is one of the greatest examples of 20th century.
4.Complete the sentences
Australia was discovered in ______ by ________.
The discoverer of Australia claimed it for ___________.
The first settlers were ________________.
People rushed to Australia because _________.
Australia’s is located in __________ hemisphere.
The hottest month in Australia is ________.
5.What is wrong in the sentences
Australia is situated south of Asia between the Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans.
Canberra is the capital of Australia and the biggest city of Australia.
Aborigines now comprise only 50 per cent of the population.
6. Write the names of the territories on the map
New South Wales
7.Translate the sentences into English – first read the Russian variant, then – the translation.
Большая часть населения – англичане по происхождению.
Английский – основной язык, на котором говорят австралийцы, но один из пяти австралийцев также говорит на итальянском, греческом, арабском, китайском или испанском.
Средиземноморский климат, галереи, музеи, архитектура и парки привлекают туристов в Сидней.
8.Answer the questions:
What is the official name of the country?
When was the Commonwealth of Australia formed?
What kind of state is Australia?
What is the capital of Australia?
Who is the Head of State?
How many states and territories are there in Australia?
What is the population of Australia? Which is the official language in
9.Choose the right answer
1. What is the capital of Australia? Sydney Melbourne Canberra
2. When did Europeans settle in Australia? 1488 1788 1492 1901
3. Which is/ are a popular Australian animal(s)? Koala Kangaroo Emu All of the above
4. Which two animals can you see on the Australian coat of arms? (на австралийском гербе) Kangaroo and Emu Kangaroo and Dingo Koala and Parrot
5. Which city is Australia’s oldest and largest? Sydney Melbourne Canberra
6. Who are the Australian natives? Eskimos Aborigines Indians
7. Who discovered Australia? Christopher Columbus Captain Cook Lewis and Clark
8. Australia is not a (an) Country Island City Continent
9. What is the official language in Australia? French German English
10. In which season do Australians celebrate Christmas? Spring Autumn Summer Winter