Викторина по английскому языку
«English around the world»
1. Who is called by the British people "Our national bard", "The bard of Avon"? (Shakespeare)
2. Who is considered to be the national poet of Scotland? (R. Burns)
3. What was B. Britten? (a composer)
4. Where does Royal Shakespeare Company perform? (in Stradford-on-Avon)
5. Who is the national hero of Britain, the defender of the poor? (Robin Hood)
6. What is the London home of the Queen? (Buckingham Palace)
7. What was the first most terrible prison in Great Britain? (the Tower)
8. Who was the first woman Prime Minister of Great Britain? (M. Thatcher)
9. Where is the Poets' Corner? (in Westminster Abbey)
10. Give Russian equivalents of the English proverbs:11. Give the official name of the country.
(Washington, Canberra, Wellington, Ottawa)
12. What strait separates Great Britain from the continent? (the English Channel)
13. Who was the first President of America? (G. Washington)
14. Who was the 42nd President of the USA? (B. Clinton)
15. The British like to drink their tea with . . . . What kind of tea do they call Russian tea? (tea with lemon)
16. Name the king of the rock'n'roll. (E. Presley)
17. What unites these great people: John Golsworthy, Juan Antonio Samaranch, Iogann Guttenberg, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Ivan the Terrible, Ian Zhizhka
18. Give British equivalents of the following words:19. What city does it belong to? It has three parts: the West End, the City and the East End:
a) New York
20. Which statements are wrong:
a) Great Britain consists of three parts: England, Scotland and Wales,
b) Great Britain consists of four parts: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
c) The United Kingdom consists of all the members of the British Commonwealth.
21. Which statement is correct:
a) Canadians speak English,
b) Canadians speak French.
c) Canadians are bilingual.
22. Which country is the nearest continental neighbour of Great Britain:
23. Match the date with the month and name the British holidaysHalloween
New Year Day
St. Valentine's Day
April or May
24.Who made the Christmas tree popular in Britain?
Good King Wenceslas
Queen Elizabeth II
25.Which of these things would you not use to decorate your house at X-mas time?
26.Which of these things would you find on your plate at Christmas?
27.Where does the tradition of decorating a house with mistletoe at Christmas come from?
28.At what age can Americans start to drive in most states?
29.In which state did Henry Ford start his car company?
30.Which city is the center of country music?
31.What is the biggest building in the United States?
Empire State Building, New York
Sears Tower, Chicago
Trump Tower, New York
U.S. Bank Tower, Los Angeles
32.Hollywood Wax Museum was opened
- in 1940.
- in 1955
- in 1965
- in 1980
33.Which film company has its studio in Hollywood?
- Biograph Company.
34.Who designed the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
- Oliver Weistmuller.
- Albert Spaulding.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- Oliver Stone.