1) Think of the name of your team.
2) Think of the emblem.
3) Hometask: learn a poem, a song, etc.
4) Your first task is to answer the questions:
1. Do you know anything about English writers and poets? Speak about one.
2. Who is called by the British people "Our national bard", "The bard of Avon"? (Shakespeare)
3. Who is considered to be the national poet of Scotland? (R. Burns)
4. What was B. Britten? (a composer)
5. Where does Royal Shakespeare Company perform? (in Stradford-on-Avon)
6. Who is the national hero of Britain, the defender of the poor? (Robin Hood)
7. What is the London home of the Queen? (Buckingham Palace)
8. What was the first most terrible prison in Great Britain? (the Tower)
9. Who was the first woman Prime Minister of Great Britain? (M. Thatcher)
10. What events come to your mind when you look at the map of Great Britain and see the following place-names: Edinburgh, Alderborough, Langollen, Liverpool? (Queen Elizabeth II, the Beatles, Eisteddfod, Aldeborough Festival)
11. Where is the Poets' Corner? (in Westminster Abbey)
5) Give Russian equivalents of the English proverbs:
Don't pull my leg.
To be on the safe side.
To beat the air.
From the horse's mouth.
Keep your chin up.
Every cook praises his own broth.
Score twice before you cut once.
6) Do you know the history and culture of the countries the language of which you study?
1. Give the official name of the country.
2. Name the capitals of the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (Washington, Canberra, Wellington, Ottawa)
3. What strait separates Great Britain from the continent? (the English Channel)
4. Who was the first President of America? (G. Washington)
5. Who was the 42nd President of the USA? (B. Clinton)
6. Who lives in 10, Downing street in London? (Prime Minister)
7. What English scientist did an apple fall on his head and helped him to discover a physics law? (I. Newton)
8. What was the real name of Mark Twain? (S. Clemens)
9. The British like to drink their tea with . . . . What kind of tea do they call Russian tea? (tea with lemon)
10. Name the king of the rock'n'roll. (E. Presley)
7) Are there polyglots among you?
1. What's the English for "Быть или не быть" (to be or not to be?) '
2. Translate from Latin: "Veni, vidi, vici".
3. What's the French for "Look for a woman"?
4. Translate from Latin: "Terra incognita".
5. What's the English for "грудной ребенок''?
6. Do you know how to greet a person in French? (Bonjour)
7. Translate from Italian: " Finita la comedia".
8. Say in French "С глазу на глаз''?. (Tete-a-tete)
9. What did Kisa Vorobianinov say when he was asking for the alms? (Monsieur, je ne mange pas six jours.)
10. What unites these great people: John Golsworthy, Juan Antonio Samaranch, Iogann Guttenberg, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Ivan the Terrible, Ian Zhizhka
8) Do you know?
1. Give British equivalents of the following words:
5. first floor
2. What city does it belong to? It has three parts: the West End, the City and the East End:
a) New York
3. Which statements are wrong:
a) Great Britain consists of three parts: England, Scotland and Wales,
b) Great Britain consists of four parts: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
c) The United Kingdom consists of all the members of the British Commonwealth.
4. Which statement is correct:
a) Canadians speak English,
b) Canadians speak French.
c) Canadians are bilingual.
5. Which country is the nearest continental neighbour of Great Britain:
9) Make as many words as you can out of the word "Thunderstorm".
10) Match the date with the month and name the British holidays: 26 25 31 14 31 May or April
New Year Day
St. Valentine's Day
April or May