Tasks form 9
Задания школьного этапа Всероссийской олимпиады
по английскому языку - 2016
1. Чтение (Reading Comprehension) 10 баллов
Time: 20 minutes
Read this article about forks and decide whether statements 1-10 are true or false according to the text. Write T or F in each box.
In 1608 an Englishman whose name was Thomas Coryate visited Italy. He liked the country and noted down every interesting thing he found. But there was one thing which he found more interesting than the others. In his diary Thomas wrote, ‘When the Italians eat meat, they use small forks. They do not eat with hands because, as they say, people do not always have clean hands.’
Before leaving for England, Thomas Coryate bought a few forks.
At home Thomas gave a dinner party to show the invention to his friends. When the servant brought the steak, he took out a fork and began to eat like they did in Italy.
Everybody looked at him in surprise. When he told his friends what it was, they all wanted to take a good look at the strange thing. All his friends said that the Italians were very strange people because the fork was very inconvenient.
Thomas Coryate tried to prove the opposite. He said it was not nice to eat meat with one’s fingers because they were not always clean.
Everybody got angry at that. Did Mr Coryate think that people in England always had dirty hands? And weren’t the ten fingers they had enough for them?
Thomas Coryate wanted to show that it was very easy to use the fork. But the first piece of meat he took with the fork fell to the floor. His friends began to laugh and he had to take the fork away.
Thomas Coryate brought forks to England because he believed it was not nice to eat meat with fingers.
Thomas Coryate wanted to make his friends surprised so he brought forks.
Thomas Coryate wanted to make business selling forks.
Eeverybody looked at Thomas when he began to eat like the Italians because nobody had seen a fork before.
Nobody ate meat with hands in England.
Coryate’s friends didn’t pay any attention to the forks
The steak was too tough so it fell down.
People in England began to use forks in 1658
People in England don’t use forks nowаdays.
2. Лексика и грамматика (Use of English) 20 баллов
Time: 30 minutes
А). Измените слова на полях справа так, чтобы они подходили к предложениям.
1. There was a … to find the best book. (COMPETE) __________
2. Flowers … bees. (ATTRACTIVE) __________
3. That … is by Picasso. (PAINT) __________
4. We must make a … about where to go. (DECIDE) ___________
5. How many … holidays do you have? (NATION) _________
6. The film was … and he became rich. (SUCCESS) __________
7. He lives in a … house by the sea. (WOOD) __________
8. Could you repeat that … ? (EXPLAIN) __________
9. We are … of our district. (PRIDE) __________
10. I don’t have much … of European history. (EDUCATE) ____________
B). Выберите правильный ответ из предложенных (запиши буквы)
1. I... glasses since I was a child,
a) wear, b) wore, c) am wearing, d) have been wearing.
2. When the phone rang, I... dinner.
a) cook, b) was cooking, c) had been cooking, d) have been cooking.
3. He usually had dinner at 4 p.m., ... ?
a) had he, b) hadn't he, c) did he, d) didn't he.
4. He works ... and makes good progress.
a) hard, b) hardly, c) good, d) badly.
5. He reminds me ... someone I knew in the army.
a) of, b) to, c) from, d) about.
6. Mary is here. Where are ... ?
a) other, b) others, c) the others, d) another.
7. What ... bad weather we are having today!
a) the, b) a, c) an, d) — .
8. Did you read ... English books at school?
a) some, b) many, c) much, d) none.
9. I want to know what ...,
a) are you doing, b) were you doing, c) will you do, d) you are doing.
10. I've made ... mistakes now than I made last time.
a) few, b) a few, c) fewer, d) less.
3. Writing. Time: 40 minutes
You have 40 minutes to do this task.
Comment on the following statement.
Some people think that learning foreign languages is a waste of time and money.
What is your opinion? Do you agree with this statement?
Write 140 – 200 words.
Use the following plan:
− make an introduction (state the problem)
− express your personal opinion and give 2–3 reasons for your opinion
− express an opposing opinion and give 1–2 reasons for this opposing opinion
− explain why you don’t agree with the opposing opinion
− make a conclusion restating your position