Match the words with their definitions
1. private school a. A British exam taken by students in England and Wales, usually around the age of 16.
2. GCSE b. A club of male students usually living in the same house
3. A level examinations c. A year that a young person spends working and/or travelling, often between leaving school and starting university
4. Secondary education d. A club of women students usually living in the same house
5. Further education e. A British exam taken in a particular subject in the final year of school at the age of 18
6. Gap-year f. The last exams that you take at the end of university course in the UK
7. Term g. A school that receives no money from the government and where the education of the students is paid for by their parents
8. Fraternity h. Education for children between the ages of 11 and 18
9. Finals i. Education that is provided for people after leaving school, but not at a university
10. Sorority j. one of the three periods that the year is divided into British schools and universities
Full-time education is 1_______________ at the age of 5 – 16.
About 7% of children go to 2_____________________.
Children 3___________ primary school at the ages of 5 to 11.
The main aim is to teach pupils to read well and to handle numbers, so every day children spend one hour on 4____________ and one hour on 5_____________.
School day starts at 6_________ and finishes 7_______________.
Every state school, except for Scotland, follows 8 ____________________________.
The emphasis is on the three core subjects: 9 ___________________________________.
At the age of 14 people take special test, and after they are 16 they have to pass 10__________________.
About 70% of people continue 11________________________ specializing in 3 - 4 subjects.
At the age of 18 they take 12_________________________.
They have to get the right 13___________________ to be accepted.
Between school and university some people have 14 ________________ for work experience or to travel.
People may choose to go either to a university or to 15________________________ in subjects such as engineering or travelling tourism.
If parents can’t pay for their children, students have to take out 16___________ to study at the university.
The majority of universities teach by 17_________________________.
Express your opinion
What do you think about education in the UK? Do you like it or not? Why?
Вам будут интересны эти курсы: