Complete the sentences with the words from the box using them in the proper form of the Present Indefinite Tense.
1. The child,___to school every day. His father___him there in his car, 2. She always___ lunch at school. 3. Richard's life in Paris is a bit difficult. He___only English. 4. What's the matter? You.__„very sad. 5, Liz is good at tennis. She___every game. 6. It___quite reasonable. 7. Winter is warm here. It___very seldom. But sometimes it___.' 8. Helen is on a diet. She .___a
little. 9. He___in a hurry. 10. The exams at school___ in April.
Open the brackets and use the proper tense.
1. Linda and I (work) for a company, which (produce) automobiles. 2. We both (work) at an office which (be) just in front of the factory where cars (be made). 3, I (start) work at ten o'clock, and Linda (come) to the office at nine. 4. She (be) good at typing, she (write) letters and reports every day. 5. She (not know) French very well, so she often (go) to the sixth floor where I (work), 6.1 sometimes (help) her translate letters, as I (know) French rather well. 7. Linda also (answer) telephone calls, sometimes she (show) visitors around the factory. 8. She (do) common paperwork, she (write) memos, (file) reports, (answer) letters. 9. She often (arrange) meetings for her boss and other managers of the company. 10. You (understand) what her job (be)? Yes, she (be) a secretary. 11. But she (not like) her job and (want) to be a manager.
Find and correct fifteen mistakes in the spelling of the following present participles.
copiing, putting, translateing, telling, closing, sitting, seing, giving, meetting, being, forgeting, lieing, getting, filing, swimming, betting, quiting, spreadding, eatting, begining, paing, openning, cutting, forbiding, laying, splitting, winning, dying, stoping
Open the brackets and put thе verb into the Present Indefinite or the Present Continuous Tense.
1. Be quiet, please. We (work) at the translation and you (make) a lot of noise. 2. He always (go) for a walk in the evening. 3. Where is Jack? — He (meet) his girlfriend at the station. She (come) at 12 o'clock. 4. She (cry). Is something wrong? 5. In the morning I (have) little time, so I (take) a shower in the evening. 6. A decade (describe) a period of ten years. 7. Her brother (work) in Canada at present. 8. She always (dream) but (do) nothing to realize her dreams. 9. He (be) so suspicious to me at the moment. I wonder why. 10. Hurry up, Jane! We all (wait) for you. 11. Turn off the gas. Don't you see the kettle (boil)? 12. The children are still ill but they (get) better gradually. 13. Don't bother her. She (take) her French lesson: she always (take) it in the morning. 14. The living standards (change). Every month things (get) more expensive. 15. Tom and Mary (leave) for the Netherlands tomorrow. 16.1 have just started English courses. I (study) English grammar. 17. Mercury (boil) at 357.23 degrees Centigrade. 18. We must buy new plates. — It's useless. You always (break) plates. 19. It (surprise) me that they can't sell their flat. 20. A woman who (look) after other people's children is a nanny.
Correct the verbs in bold type if the tenses are wrong.
1. The clock is striking, it's time to finish your studies. 2. They are understanding the problem now. 3. Where is John? — He prepares his lessons; he usually prepares them at that time. 4. They are glad to know that their son is coming home next week. 5. The evening is warm, but you are shivering. Is anything the matter? — Nothing serious, I am feeling cold. 6. Can I see Mr. Green? — I am sorry, you can't: he has dinner. 7. The soup is tasting delicious. 8. Now I am seeing what you are driving at. 9. He believes in God and is always going to church on Sundays. 10.1 am hating to speak to him. He is always complaining and forgetting what to do. 11. They are being so nice to me at present. I am feeling they are liking me. 12. He often changes his political views. Now he is belonging to the Conservative Party. 13. Look! Somebody tries to open your car. 14. Oh, I won't take this dish. It is smelling awful. 15. How can I recognize him? I haven't met him. — He is wearing a yellow leather jacket and green jeans. 16. She usually drinks tea in the morning, but today she drinks coffee. 17. The last train is leaving the station at 11.50. 18. He is wanting to buy a car, but first he must learn to drive, so he is taking his driving lessons. 19.1 can't stand him. He is liking to mock at people. He is always laughing at us when we meet. 20. Don't laugh at lessons, you are always laughing too much and the teachers are usually complaining of you.
Translate from Russian into English.
1. Питер обычно делает домашние задания перед ужином. 2. Почему ты идешь так быстро? — Я боюсь опоздать (miss) на поезд. Обычно я выхожу из дома раньше и иду медленно, 3, Какие новые предметы студенты изучают в этом году? 4. Почему он сегодня такой заботливый? Странно, обычно он ведет себя по-другому. 5. Мистер Томпсон сейчас живет в Праге. — Что он там делает? — Он преподает английский. 6. Сегодня идет снег. Обычно зима здесь теплая, и снег идет редко. 7. Я не могу больше с вами разговаривать. Почему вы всегда критикуете (criticize) все, что я делаю? 8. Что с тобой? Ты очень бледная. Как ты себя чувствуешь? — У меня сильно болит голова. 9. Когда они улетают в Нью-Йорк? — На следующей неделе. 10, Что ты делаешь? Зачем ты кладешь соль в кофе? 11. Сейчас кризис, и цены растут очень быстро. 12. Как вкусно пахнет кофе! Сделай мне чашечку, только без сахара.
Exercise 116 - 1) goes, takes; 2) has; 3) speaks; 4) look; 5) wins; 6) seems; 7) snows, rains; 8) eats; 9) is; 10) start
1) work, produces; 2) work, is, are made; 3) start, comes; 4) is, writes; 5) does not know, goes, work; 6) help, know;7) answers, shows; 8) does, writes, files, answers; 9) arranges; 10) understand, is, is; 11) does not like, wants
' copying, translating, seeing, meeting, forgetting, lying, flying quitting, spreading, eating, beginning, paying, opening, forbidding, stopping
. 1) are working, are making; 2) goes; 3) is meeting, is coming; 4) is crying; 5) have, take; 6) describes; 7) is working; 8) dreams, does; 9) is being; 10) are waiting; 11) is boiling; 12) are getting; 13) is taking, takes; 14) are changing, are getting; 15) are leaving; 16) am studying; 17) boils; 18) are breaking; 19) surprises; 20) looks
1) is striking; 2) understand; 3) is preparing, prepares; 4) is coming; 5) are shivering, feel; 6) is having; 7) tastes; 8) see, are driving; 9) believes, goes; 10) hate, complains, forgets; 11) are being, feel, like; 12) changes, belongs; 13) is trying; 14) smells; 15) is wearing; 16) drinks, is drinking; 17) leaves; 18) wants, is taking; 19) likes, laughs; 20) are laughing, complain
1. Peter usually does homework before supper. 2. Why are you walking so fast? — I am afraid of missing the train. I always leave home earlier and walk slowly. 3. What new subjects are the students taking this year? 4. Why is he being so careful today? It's strange, he is not usually like this. 5. Mr. Thompson is living in Prague now. — What is he doing there? — He is teaching English. 6. It is snowing today. Winter is usually warm here and it does not often snow. 7.1 can't speak to you any longer. Why are you always criticizing all I do? 8. What's the matter with you? You are looking rather pale. How are you feeling? — I've got a bad headache. 9. When are they flying for New York? — Next week. 10. What are you doing? Why are you putting salt into your coffee? 11. Now it is a crisis and prices are rising very fast. 12. How delicious the coffee smells! Make me a cup, please, only without sugar.
Номер материала: ДВ-308535
Вам будут интересны эти курсы: