The Pleasure of reading
“The Reader of Books” ( After Roald Dahl)
1 Divide the words into 4 groups
Matilda, Michael, perfectly, pop-eyed, household, telly, storytellers, watchful, transport, speech, speaking, popped, spoiled, to manage, cosy, a cosy, devoured, searched, to introduce, impression, contents, chatterbox, container, an edition, fascinating, contained, adventure.
2 Add at least 3 words to each group
3 Make 3 sentences about the readers of books
4 Read the text “The Reader of books” and say what made Matilda an unusual girl.
5 Underline the unknown words. Try to guess their meanings after looking them up in a dictionary.
6 Match the questions with the answers:
1) Who is Matilda?
2) Who is Michael?
3) Who is Mrs Phelps?
4) Who could read fast and well at the age of 4?
5) What was Matilda’s progress in reading?
6) What book did Mrs Phelps recommend ?
7) Was Matilda a noisy chatterbox?
a) No, she wasn’t. She liked to read very much.
b) Michael was a Matilda’s brother.
c) The reader of books could read fast and well at the age of 4.
e) Mrs Phelps was a librarian.
f) Matilda was a little girl.
g) Mrs Phelps recommended the “Great Expectations”
7 Make true sentences:
Matilda's brother Michael
perfectly normal boy
decided to walk to
her into new worlds and introduced her to wonderful people who lived exciting lives
library every afternoon
public library in the village all by herself
8 Interview your classmate about his or her reading. Use the questions given below
A. Who said it?
1. "What's wrong with the telly?" 2. "Would you like me to help you find a nice one with lots of pictures in it?" 3. "I've finished all the children's books." 4. "If it's too long for
you, just let me know." 5. "Did you know that public libraries allow you to borrow books and take them home?"
B. Who did it?
1. Could read fast and well at the age of four. 2. Was left alone in the house nearly every weekday afternoon. 3. Gave Matilda advice about choosing books. 4. Asked Matilda about her impression of the books. 5. Began to borrow books from the library. 6. Travelled all over the world with the help of reading.
C. Choose the right item.
1. Matilda had an elder ... .
a) brother b) sister
The only book Matilda's parents had was a ... .
a) travel book b) cook c) book
Mrs Phelps was a ... .
a) teacher b) librarian
At first Matilda read ... books,
a) children's b) popular
Matilda liked ... the books she read,
a) some of b) all
6. Mrs Phelps thought that Dickens was ... for Matilda
a) too difficult b)just right
The first book by Dickens that Matilda read was ... .
a) "Oliver Twist" b) "Great Expectations"
When Matilda began to borrow books from the library she turned her ... into a reading room.
a) living room b) bedroom
9. She liked to drink ... when she was reading,
a) tea (b) chocolate
9 Write a story of about 50 words: “My friend is a reader of books1”.
perfectly, pop-eyed, household, telly, storytellers, watchful, transport, speech, speaking, popped, spoiled, to manage, cosy, a cosy, devoured, searched, to introduce, impression, contents, chatterbox, container, an edition, fascinating, contained, adventure
Краткое описание документа:
Материал подготовлен для закрепления и проверки темы (текста) "The Pleasure of reading “The Reader of Books” ( After Roald Dahl)" к unit 6 по учебнику для 7 класса углубленного изучения. Авторы учебника: Афанасьева О.В., Михеева И.В.
Упражнения и задания помогут учащимся более подробно ознакомиться с текстом еще раз. Материал так же можно употребить и для проверки знаний по тексту.
Здания для развития коммуникативных навыков обучения английского языка.
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|