Тема « School life»
Ex1: Give Russian equivalents to the following word-combinations:
To acquire knowledge to train memory
to organise timeeffectively to revise for exams
to worry about exams to test intelligence
to learn how to study to learn discipline
after- school activities compulsory subjects
to experience tiredness to get prepared for a future job
Ex.2: Match the words and phrases in column A with those in column B
1.to please your parents
3.to be homesick
D)скучать по дому
5.to be nervous
6.for a change
7.a green newcomer
G)скучать по школе
9.to miss the school
10.to make friends
Ex3: Match the following words to their definitions
a) a student who studies at school and comes home every day
b)means to miss one’s home
c)a teacher writes this document giving details of a student’s progress
d)money an organisation gives you so that you can study at a school
e)a course of studythat you choose to do
6.To be homesick
f) something you must do
g)one of two periods the school year is divided into
8.To be left behind
h) a student who studies and lives at school
j)means to be slower than others
Ex.4: Complete the sentences using the correct word-combination
Middle school Private school High school Public school
1. My friend in the USA is 13, he goes to ... .
2. She lives in London, she is 15, she goes to ... .
3. His parents were very rich, so he studied at ... , but he lived at home.
4. The story is about a British boy who studies at ... and goes home only twice a year in his holydays.
Ex.5: Match the verbs in column A with the nouns they are usually associated with in column B.
a) a course in...
c) a break
d) an effort
f) a mistake
g) an exam
i) an experiment
Make up 3 sentencesof your own using these word-combinations.
Ex.6: Fill in the gaps with the prepositions AT or IN.
1. When I was ... school I like History and Geography, but I was particularlygood ... Math.
2. He has a degree ... Economics and Math.
3. My sister learns French ... the French Institute in Moscow.
4. He studied ... Novosibirsk University and then got a scholarship ... Harvard.
5. I attend classes ... painting.
6. He did a course ... website design in July.
7. They were happy! They have passed the exam ...English.
8. My friend is good ... music.
Ex.7: Use the proper word
Приобретать знания, навыки
1. He ... students at a higher school.
2. She is ... how to play the piano.
3. He is ... History? He wants to be a historian.
4. Father, ... me how to swim.
5. I’m eager to ... to ride a horse.
6. John is a bright student, he ... quickly.
7. The teacher ... and the students ... .
8. You can’t ... English in a year.
9. If you ... hard, you will make progress.
Do you love music?
I. Read and translate the sayings about music. Do you agree with them?
1. Music is what feelings sound like.
2. Music is expression of harmony in sound. Love is the expression of harmony in life.
3. Music is well said to be the speech of angels
4. Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom.
5. Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
6. When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have
7. Where words fail, music speaks
8. Without music life would be a mistake
9. Music's the medicine of the mind.
10. Music is the universal language of mankind.
II. Translate the sentences
The dinner was lovely, but the background music was just too loud. We couldn’t talk.
It’s difficult to concentrate on work when there’s dance music playing.
I don’t like restaurants where they play muzak .
Rock and pop music are usually performed by a group or band.
Most groups have a lead singer, a lead guitarist, a bass guitarist and a drummer.
Solo artists play with a backing group and some of them are songwriters.
Classical music is written by a composer and performed by an orchestra with a conductor .
A hit record is a song that is very popular and bought by many people.
You can play a tune on an instrument or you can whistle or hum.You can make music in lots of ways.
III. What styles of music do you think these people might be playing?
IV. Read the report of an interview with Gary Wilmot, an actor. Then write the actual words of the interview.
I asked Gary what sort of music he liked, and he told me that he had always liked jazz. In fact, he said he played in a jazz band called Sweet Hearts. When I asked him where the band played , he told me they mainly played in small clubs. I asked him if he had ever played a Shakespearian role, and he told me that he had. He’d played Othello in Stratford in 2008, and he’d enjoyed it very much. Finally, I asked him if he ever wanted to direct a play, and he told me that he hoped to one day, but he didn’t know when it could happen because he was so busy acting.
What sort of music do you like?
I have always liked …
In fact,… called Sweet Hearts
Where … ?
… a Shakespearian role?
Yes, … Othello in Stratford in 2008, … very much.
….. direct a play?
… one day , but ….. .
Are you keen on sport?
1. five names where you can hit the ball (with various kinds of equipment)
2. four games where you can pass the ball (with hands or feet)
3. three games where you can catch the ball
4. two games where you can kick the ball
5. one game where you can head the ball
6. one sport that needs gloves;
7. four sports which use a ball;
8. three sports which need water, ice or snow;
9. two sports in which you ride something;
10.two sports you do in a gym.
II. Match one or more of the nine sports to the following headings.
1. Sports involving a ball. 6. Indoor sports.
2. Team sports. 7. Outdoor sports.
3. Sports involving a partner. 8. Sports where points or goals
can be scored.
4. Water sports.
5. Sports involving an animal. 9. Olympic disciplines.
III. Put the words below in the correct column.
Chess, gym, football, guitar, cinema, table tennis, violin, park, computer games, shopping, beach, skiing, ice-skating, trumpet, piano, dancing, jogiing,windsurfing, basketball, baseball.
go to the
IV. Organise these words and put them in the correct column below You can put a word in more than one column if you wish.
Swimming, gloves, crash helmet, course, football, racket, track, ring, boots, pool, motor racing, clubs, tennis, net, court, golf, pitch, track, trunks, boxing, goals, costume, shorts, whistle, vest.
V. Use one of the words in the box to complete the sentences.
1. Are you going to watch the tennis on TV?
2. Italy three goals in fifteen minutes.
3. Gillian jogging for the first yesterday.
4. Do you know how to play ?
5. Do you always the ball with your left foot?
6. Quick !____________the ball!
7. Alan's at the club.
8.I bought my friend some _______ gloves for her birthday.
VI. Fill the gaps with suitable verbs.
1. Do you _______________much exercise?
2. I only _____________play volleyball in summer.
3. If possible, I’d like to _________a finess club.
4. We used to ___________camping in the mountains.
5. Why don’t you ______________hiking or swimming or something? You need more exercises.
6. If you want to _____________fit, you should run 3 or 4 miles every day.
7.Were many records_______________at the Olympics?
8.We've bееn______________so many times we deserve to be bottom of the league!
9.Congratulations! How many points did you _________by?
10.You should ____________jogging.That would help you lose weight.
11.Who________ the world record for the 1000 metres?
12.I only ever once_____________a goal, and that was sheer luck!
VII.Complete the sentences with a suitable word.
1. I enjoy jogging and it keeps me ________ .
2. He doesn’t have much opportunity now to go rock_____________
3. I used to play a lot of ice_____________ .
4.We still like watching motor__________________ .
5. I played for years, then I injured my ankle and I had to give _____
6.In summer I _________jogging in the park and in winter I go to the ______ .
7. What sport do you _________?
8. I think the final__________was 3-1.
9. Many of the_________ran onto the pitch after the game.
VIII. Complete the sentences with a suitable verb in the correct form
1. She doesn't____much sport now that she has two young children.
2. Do you often ______ skiing in the winter?
3. I used to football every wеек.
4. My brother_____a bit of windsurfing last summer. He really enjoved it.
5. I would like to _______a sport club. Is it expensive?
6.I think she would _________more exercise.
7. They went to the gym every wеек, but he had to_______ because he got a bad back.
8.I love running - it me fit.
Do you care what you wear?
Ex. 1. Answer the questions
1.Each of you has your own preferences in clothing. What kind of clothes do you prefer? What style suits you?
2.Our choice of clothes depends on different things. What does your choice depend on?
3. Some people prefer silk, others prefer cotton. What fabrics do you like /dislike?
4. What do you usually/seldom/from time to time/often wear?
5. People buy clothes in different places; the choice of where to buy clothes depends on many, things ... Where do you prefer to buy clothes?
6. Some people are simply crazy about different accessories. They think that accesories make them more attractive. What in your opinion is (not) nice to have as an addition to clothes?
7. Sometimes people can look repulsive because of their clothes. How would you continue: "Clothes shouldn't be..."
8.What does "to be up with fashion" mean?
9.Are fashionable clothes always expensive?
10. What does "to look smashing" mean?
Ex.2. Our profession, the way of life can greatly influence our choice of clothes. Have a look at the descriptions of 4 persons and say what you think we might find in their wardrobe.
40 years old
teaches mathematics at the University
lives in a big city.
20 years old.
favourite music - punk rock.
35 years old
lives in a mansion
travels a lot.
A school student
14 years old
is fond of going to the disco
enjoys trendy clothes
Ex. 3. Unfortunately we often make mistakes. It's wrong not to take care of clothes or to pay too much attention to it. Have a look at the following statements and comment on them according to your taste.
A person in extravagant clothes always looks superb.
If you are plump, it's OK to wear short dresses.
You can wear jeans everywhere: at a party, in a theatre, in a restaurant, at a picnic ...
A fashionable man looks like he is full of dollars.
Pierced ears add charm to a man.
If a woman does not wear make-up, she cannot be called attractive.
Ex. 4. A girl wants to date with a boy, but she does not know how to attract his attention. Her classmates give her pieces of advice. Have a look at them and say if you agree or disagree with them. Change them according to your vision of the role of clothing in the process of communication. Give your own advice.
Ex. 5. Many men, many minds. Comment on the following statements concerning clothes.
... says that..., /because ... /besides he believes ... /As to me …
1) In fact, I do not care what I wear. I never judge people by the way they look. Clothes do not matter much for me! What is really Important is - the kind of person you are. If you've got brains you should be smart enough to understand it. If a person judges me by my clothes, I simply do not communicate with him.
2) Everyone must care what he/she wears. I can say everything about the person after I've just looked at him: his habits, education, social status, his character ... everything! Clothes reveal the inner world of a person. If there is no balance between what a person has got inside and what he wears, there is a big problem.
3) Of course I care what I wear. But I can't say that I follow fashion. I adhere to the style which suits me. And if new tendencies in fashion do not coincide with my style I ignore them. What is important for me is to feel comfortable. If a person is not fashionable it's OK, one should be neat and well-dressed.
Ex. 6. Choose a partner from your group. Ask each other the following questions. Be ready to share the results with other groupmates.
How much money do you spend on clothes?
Where do you buy clothes? Explain your choice.
Do your parents help you?
Do you follow fashion?
Do you buy fashion magazines? What for?
Can you call yourself stylish? Give proofs.
Name 3 things you like to wear most of all.
Are you satisfied with your wardrobe?
Краткое описание документа:
Обучение иностранному языку невозможно без знания лексичнеских единиц. Лексика -это основа, которая становится предпосылкой к изучению, развитию и формированию грамматических, фонетических умений и навыков, а также коммуникативной компетенции.
Овладевая речевой единицей, учащиеся учатся пользоваться лексико-грамматическими средствами иностранного языка в соответствии с его нормами в целях коммуникации, а не как объектом их теоретического изучения. То есть чтобы лучше знать язык, нужно как можно больше общаться на нем, так как в процессе речи используются все аспекты языка: лексика, фонетика, грамматика. А без знания лексики трудно говорить на языке, подбирая соответствующие эквиваленты.
Предлагаю вашему вниманию лексические практикумы по основным темам 9-11классов : «Школьная жизнь», «Мода», «Спорт», «Музыка».