Russia is one of the largest countries in the world. It occupies about one seventh part of dry land. The vast territory of Russia lies in the Eastern part of Europe and in the northern part of Asia. Its total area is over 17 million square kilometers.
Russia is washed by twelve seas and three oceans: the Atlantic, the Arctic, the Pacific. The northern and eastern coasts of Russia are washed by the White Sea, the Barents Sea and the Okhotsk Sea.
The land of Russia varies a lot from heavy forests to barren deserts, from high peaked mountains to deep valleys. Russia is located on two plains: the Great Russian Plain and the West Siberian Plain. The Urals is the longest mountain chain. It separates Europe from Asia.
There are various types of climate on the territory of Russia. There is a cold arctic climate in the north Siberia and there is a sub-tropical hot climate near the Black Sea. The biggest part of Russia is situated in the north and there is a little amount of places, where Russian people can enjoy sun.
Russia is a land of long rivers and deep lakes. The Volga River is the longest river in Europe (3690 km). It runs into the Caspian Sea, which is in reality, the largest lake in the world. The Baikal is the deepest lake in the world. Russia is rich in natural resources. It has deposits of coal, oil, natural gas, iron ore, gold, nickel, etc.
Russia borders on fourteen countries, including the former Republics of the USSR, which are now independent states. The population of Russia is about 150 million people.
Now Russia (the Russian Federative Republic) is a Presidential Republic. Today the state symbol of Russia is a three coloured banner. It has three horizontal stripes: white, blue and red. The white stripe symbolizes the earth, the blue one stands for the sky, and the red one symbolizes liberty. A new national emblem is a two-headed eagle. It is the most ancient symbol of Russia.
1. Mark the sentences true or false:
1) Russia is washed by twelve seas and three oceans.
2) Russia is located on three plains.
3) The Urals separates Europe from Asia.
4) Russia is rich in natural resources.
5) The Volga River is the longest river in the world.
6) Russia is a Presidential Republic.
2. Translate the words and words expressions (find in text):
северная часть Азии, великая русская равнина, делить, различные типы климата, глубокие озера, национальная эмблема.
3. Answer the questions:
1) What natural resources are there in Russia?
2) What colours can you see on the flag of Russia?
3) What is national emblem of Russia?
4) What is the deepest lake in the world?
5) What types of climate are there in Russia?
Номер материала: ДВ-151920
Вам будут интересны эти курсы: