ЗАДАНИЯ ДЛЯ ПРОМЕЖУТОЧНОЙ АТТЕСТАЦИИ
Предмет АНГЛИЙСКИЙ ЯЗЫК
1. READ THE TEXT AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER
In fact, it’s one of the world's largest ski-slopes. In fact, it covers an area which is about the same size as three football pitches, and the temperature is constant - 1 or 2 below zero. However, the strangest thing about this place is that it is in the middle of the desert! It’s called Ski Dubai and the outside temperature can rise to more than 40!
It sounds crazy, but it just shows how serious people are about having fun. We spend huge sums on sports facilities. We pay our sports stars ridiculous amounts of money. And we spend hour after hour playing games although we know there are millions of people in the world with no water to drink and no food to eat!
It makes me wonder if all the sports-lovers and game-players in the world are a little bit obsessed. I know I am. I suffer from a very common obsession called football. It made me crash my car. I was driving past a football pitch where some kids were playing. I turned to watch and smashed right into the car in front of me. I can’t help it. I see someone playing football and I’ve just got to stop and stare. I know it’s stupid but I can’t do anything about it. I’m addicted. As someone once said: ‘’Football isn’t a matter of life and death. It’s much more important than that!’’
Of course, it isn’t that important really. No game is. But the problem is that games are addictive. From the boxing ring to the skating rink, and from the tennis court to the golf course, you’ll find participants and spectators who can’t live without the drug of their choice. It could be a good thing. After all, despite being addictive, it’s true that sports and games help us to relax. Maybe, if it wasn’t for sport, our society would be more violent. Perhaps, sport is a substitute for war? It’s hard to think of a quieter, more peaceful game than chess, and yet what’s the objective? Capturing your opponent’s king. And surely, it’s better to have wars in athletics stadiums rather than on battlefields? Even if we do have to put up with football hooligans.
What’s more, playing is natural. Kittens chase balls of wool and puppies pretend to fight. Games help us perfect our skills and prepare us for serious contest for survival. They are a real rehearsal for real life.
The writer finds it very surprising that Ski Dubai…
A) is so large;
B) is in the middle of the desert;
C) is not hotter;
D) has a ski-lift
2. The writer thinks…
A) we should spend more on sport facilities ;
B) our sports stars deserve the money they earn;
C) we don’t spend enough time playing games;
D) we take games more seriously than real life
3. The writer …
A) is sure that all sports-lovers are obsessed;
B) crashed his car after a football match;
C) is addicted to football;
D) agrees that football more important than life or death
4. The article mentions the idea that…
A) chess is the most peaceful game;
B) sports fans take drugs;
C) humans play sports instead of fighting;
D) armies should fight in stadiums
2. CHOOSE THE CORRECT ITEM
1. Healthier people live longer, so we can expect the world’s population to 1____________________sharply. It may double in the next forty years! This brings up a serious problem: how will we find food, water, and minerals for such a huge population?
A) decrease; B) distract; C) dissolve; D) increase
2. No, don’t worry! I don’t mind … for some time.
A) waiting; B)having waited; C)to wait; D) be waited
3. Helen was very happy because she … the first prize in the art competition.
won; B) had won; C)got; D)had got
4. The true reason why mammoths became extinct … a mystery.
A) stays; B)remains; C)leaves; D)continues
5. This girl was different. Black hair, rich creamy pallor, the sad proud eyes of the South… It was all wrong that this girl should be sitting in this train 1______________ these dull drab looking people. She should be somewhere splendid, not squeezed into the corner of a third class carriage.
A) between; B) besides; C) among; D) along
6. The man was hot because he … in the garden.
A)worked; B)has worked; C) had worked; D) had been working
7. My mother assured the headmaster that I was hard-working and needed to … some money. He interviewed me and after some questions he told me to start working.
A) keep; B)earn; C)bring; D) get
You have received a letter from your pen-friend. He / she wrote that he / she had problems with the study of English at school and thought that English lessons were tiresome and not interesting. He / she likes Geography and Biology better than English. Write a letter to your pen-friend in which you write:
-why studying foreign languages is important
-about foreign language lessons in your school
-about your foreign language teacher
-advise him / her how to make the study of foreign languages easier and more interesting.
Write an informal letter of 100 - 110 words. Do not write any dates and addresses.