I. Translate the following words and word-combinations.
1. Home Economics 11. естествознание (КСЕ)
2. подавать документы для поступления в унив-т 12. Technical Drawing
3. Polytechnics 13. профориент.работа
4. an honours degree 14. Местные органы народного образования
5. tackle social exclusion 15. повысить статус профессии учителя
6. education caters for 16. соответствовать нац.принципам
7. day-boys 17. школьный аттестат
8. кандидат 18. truancy
9. сбор учеников и учителей в школе 19. to be fed into the computer
10. консультант по вопросам профориентации 20. неизбежно
II. Give several equivalents to the following expressions.
21. Гуманитарные науки (2 variants) 25. Цель (5 var.)
22. Сдавать экзамен (3 var.) 26. Поступить (3 var.)
23. Принять, быть зачисленным (2 var.) 27. Семестр (2 var.)
24. Способствовать (2 var.) 28. поднять настроение (2 var.)
III. Find antonyms to the expressions in the left column.
29. compulsory education a) part-time education
30. fee-paying b) public schools
31. full-time education c) voluntary education
32. state schools d) free of charge
33. addition e) acceptance
34. abolition f) subtraction
IV. Find synoyms to the expressions in the left column.
35. to reprimand a) be conferred for
36. punishment b) annual
37. schedule c) bias
38. non-selective comprehensive schools d) private school
39. ethos e) curriculum
40. yearly f) penalty
41. to withdraw from classes g) to attain
42. to be entitled h) to retain
43. lecturer i) academic
44. Faculty of Divinity j) teaching both male and female students at the same institution
45. to keep k) to be endowed
46. independent school l) mixed-ability comprehensive school
47. coeducational m) Faculty of Theology
48. be awarded for n) to tell sb. off
49. educationalist o) instructor
50. varsity p) building
51. to achieve q) get rid of classes
52. facility r) a university
V. Match the words in the columns to make the word-combinations.
53. to pay a) rights
54. to appoint b) school budgets
55. entry c) foundation of a successful career
56. to manage d) staff
57. to undergo e) the inborn qualities
58. statutory f) fees
59. to measure g) a series of major reforms
60. to lay h) into higher education
VI. Match the words with their definitions.
61. elocution a) an original contribution to knowledge
62. syllabus b) a passing grade, especially when graded using a pass-fail grading system
63. maintained school c) A day nursery
64. public school d) A school where pupils are provided with meals and lodging
65. thesis e) the skill of clear and expressive speech, especially of distinct pronunciation and articulation
66. passes f) the subjects in a course of study or teaching
67. boarding school g) a group of 8 private, east-coast colleges and universities renowned for providing an excellent education and their significant history.
68. creche h) a school financially supported by the state
69. to crib i) to violate
70. to stay on j) the use of physical force by parents or other adult guardians for purposes of punishment of children.
71. to disrupt k) to cheat during a lesson or examination
72. Ivy League Universities l) A private boarding school in Great Britain for pupils between the ages of 13 and 18
73. corporal punishment m) to go on education at school
74. segregation n) A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university.
75. undergraduate o) a student who has obtained a degree from a university, etc, and is pursuing studies for a more advanced qualification
76. expulsion p) you cannot come to school for a few days or weeks and your parents have to see the headteacher
77. alumni q) The policy or practice of separating people of different races, classes, or ethnic groups, as in schools, housing, and public or commercial facilities, especially as a form of discrimination.
78. chancellor r) the head of certain university colleges or schools
79. postgraduate s) A college or university student who has not yet received a bachelor's or similar degree.
80. exclusion t) you are sent away from your school with a bad record
81. provost u) the honorary or titular head of a university
VII. True or False? If it is false, correct it.
82. a) Day nurseries are free of charge.
b) The local education authority nurseries are free.
c) Compulsory education begins at 7.
d) The National Curriculum has been devised so that pupils can forge ahead in their strong areas of study.
e) The Eleven Plus Subjects are literacy and numeracy hour and Physical Education.
f) Pupils start secondary school in England at the age of 12.
g) There are 5 foundation subjects: technology, history, geography, etc.
h) The goal of grammar schools is to prepare pupils to sit for O-levels and A-levels.
i) Pupils at secondary school have three main exams to worry about.
j) Nowadays GCSEs have replaced “O” levels pretty much entirely.
k) For a lot of jobs, such as nursing, you must have one or two GCSEs.
l) An independent school is a school that is neither financed nor controlled by the government or local authorities.
m) If you stay at school after taking GCSEs, you go into the Sixth Form, and start working for “A” level.
n) Most people take “A” level in more than four subjects.
o) The passes for all exams are grades “A” to “F”.
p) An Intelligence Quotient test includes an arithmetic test.
q) “E” and “F” passes are considered a failure.
r) Fagging is a requirement of a younger public school student to do different chores.
s) Students of public schools prefer the word “school-leavers”.
t) Common Entrance Examinations are taken by some children in the UK as part of the admissions process for public schools.
u) Universities enjoy complete academic freedom, appointing their own staff, deciding how and what to teach, etc.
v) At doctorate (PhD) level, postgraduate degrees are usually awarded after five years of independent research.
VIII. Answer the following questions in brief or fill in the gaps.
83. Which stages does primary school comprise?
84. What is the purpose of “prep” school?
85. Name three “core subjects” in British schools.
86. Public education in Great Britain comprises three stages…
87. There are two compulsory stages of public education…
88. What are Parent’s Charters aimed at?
89. What is the main school examination, an academic qualification awarded in a specified subject, generally taken in a number of subjects by students aged 16 in secondary education in England, Wales and Northern Ireland?
90. To work for academic means …
91. First degree courses are mainly full time and last… years
92. After three years of study, a student may proceed to a … and later to the degree of … and …
93. Bachelors’ Degree are at two levels, … and ….
94. What is the Honours Degree awarded for?
95. What do we call the first post-graduate degree?
96. What is the first post-graduate degree conferred for?
97. What is a black tasselled academic cap with a flat square top covered with cloth?
98. What does it mean that the contribution towards the tuition fees is means-tested?
99. A sum of money given by an authority to an individual, especially a student in higher education, to help with living costs - …
100. Is religious education compulsory or voluntary?
101. How many attainment levels are there in each subject of the National Curriculum?
102. What is three R’s ?
IX. Translate the following sentences.
103. Мне нужна медицинская страховка.
104.Это братство известно выдающимися людьми.
105. Он платит за проживание и питание.
106. Зачисление будет через неделю.
107. Это герб нашего университета.
108. Студенты не могут обойтись без наставничества.
109. Стоимость обучения для иногородних является высокой.
110. Студенты берут кредиты, чтобы оплачивать расходы на проживание.
111. Учитель раскрывает потенциал ребенка и предлагает ему накопленные знания предыдущих поколений.
112. Важно превратить необразованного ребенка в морально сознательного взрослого.
113. У малообразованных людей противоречивые взгляды.
114. Тяжелые социальные условия повлияли на него и теперь у него сильное желание преподавать.
115. Детям следует учиться в своем собственном темпе.
X. Use one of the phrasal verbs.
speak, clear, go, call, mix, turn, back, stay, catch, brush, dress, come, beat
116. ______ up = give someone support and help
117. ______ up = hit or kick someone and hurt them badly
118. ______ up = improve your knowledge and skill
119. ______ up = phone somebody
120. ______ up = reach the same standard or level as the others
121. ______ up = tidy, to put away; Improving weather.
122. ______ up = approach someone
123. ______ up = put on elegant or formal clothes
124. ______ up = increase
125. ______ up = not know the difference, confuse
126. ______ up = talk in a loud, clear voice
127. ______ up = not go to bed
128. ______ up = arrive, find unexpectedly
XI. Translate the following word-combinations.
129. оказаться полезным
130. побудить кого-л. к действию
131. мельком взглянуть
134. внимательно всматриваться, изучать
135. сказать спокойным тоном
136. сделать скидку
137. не подходить кому-л.
140. делать перекличку
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|