Департамент образования, культуры и молодежной политики Белгородской области
Государственное бюджетное образовательное учреждение среднего профессионального образования
«СТАРООСКОЛЬСКИЙ ПЕДАГОГИЧЕСКИЙ КОЛЛЕДЖ»
для самостоятельной работы по дисциплине «Практическая грамматика английского языка»
для студентов ІІІ курса специальности 050303.52 «Иностранный язык»
преподаватель английского языка
Акинина Н.В., к.п.н., доцент кафедры филологических дисциплин СОФ БелГУ
Старый Оскол – 2013
Рецензент: доцент кафедры филологических дисциплин СОФ БелГУ, к.п.н. Акинина Н.В.
Сборник заданий для самостоятельной работы по дисциплине «Практическая грамматика английского языка» для студентов ІІІ курса специальности 050303.52 «Иностранный язык» / Сост.
Г.А. Труфанова. – Ст. Оскол, 2013. – 78с.
Сборник заданий предназначен для студентов ІІІ курса специальности 050303.52 «Иностранный язык» для самостоятельной работы по дисциплине «Практический курс иностранного языка». Он содержит задания, в которых раскрыты проблемы тем, предусмотренных для изучения на ІІІ курсе и указанных в программе по этой дисциплине, которая отвечает государственным требованиям. В сборнике представлены задания по таким разделам, как существительное, притяжательный падеж, артикль, прилагательное, наречие, местоимения, числительное, предлоги. При составлении данного сборника были использованы материалы различных пособий таких международно-известных изданий как «Longman», «Cambridge», «Oxford».
Материалы сборника полезен студентам ІІІ курса, а также всем изучающим иностранный язык.
Сборник заданий предназначен студентам ІІІ курса для самостоятельной работы по дисциплине «Практическая грамматика английского языка». Он представляет собой грамматические задания по изучаемым на ІІІ курсе темам: существительное, притяжательный падеж, артикль, прилагательное, наречие, местоимения, числительное, предлоги.
При составлении данного сборника были использованы материалы всемирно известных изданий по практической грамматике такие как «Longman», «Cambridge», «Oxford».
Включенные в сборник задания призваны быть дополнительными упражнениями для самостоятельной работы студентов, помочь им лучше разобраться в изучаемых темах. Задания, вошедшие в сборник, можно использовать при подготовке к занятиям и экзамену по предмету.
The Possessive Case………………………………………..………15
The Adjective / The Adverb………………………………..………38
Write the plural form of the following.
A regular nouns
story, play, glass, flag, photo, name, match, knife, bush, chief, page, radio, roof, prize, set, key, factory, wolf, piano, class, cup, city
В irregular nouns
child, goose, man, foot, mouse, woman, sheep, person, deer, tooth, ox
С nouns of Greek or Latin origin
criterion, datum, formula, crisis, stimulus, index, phenomenon, medium, oasis, nucleus, memorandum, basis, radius, analysis, symposium, hypothesis
D compound nouns
fellow-worker, merry-go-round, man-of-war, passer-by, sister-in-law, forget-me-not, room-mate, lily-of-the-valley, ticket-holder, commander-in-chief, governor-general
Divide the following words into two columns: countable and uncountable nouns (you must get 25 uncountable nouns).
furniture, coffee, leaf, food, computer, list, blood, job, work, language, country, advice, information, money, progress, permit, permission, baggage, luggage, beach, traffic, weather, window, knowledge, air, water, holiday, damage, accommodation, scenery, scene, pigeon, bread, mountain, kick, news, accident, laugh, flour, laughter
Translate the following sentences into Russian paying attention to the words in bold type.
1. The windows in his car are made of unbreakable glass. 2. He gave me a glass of water. 3. These are the works of Shakespeare. 4. He is not at home, he is at the works. He is installing new equipment. 5. His work is rather dull, he thinks. 6. Do you have scales? I want to weigh this fish. 7. Celsius or Fahrenheit scales are used in many countries. 8. I spilled the water, give me a cloth, please. 9. Have you bought cloth for draperies? 10. He's got his car insurance police. 11. She always criticizes the government's policy. 12.1 need an iron to press my dress. 13. These items are made of iron. 14. There is neither salt nor pepper on the table. 15. He planted several peppers in the hothouse. 16. Would you like some chocolate? 17. She took a doll out of the box. 18. He meets a lot of people every day. 19. A lot of different peoples live in Asia. 20. Business is an essential part of American life.
Match the word on the left with its partner on the right.
Example: a piece music — a piece of music1) a lump
2) a bit
3) a flash
4) a stroke
5) a slice
6) a clap
7) a sum
8) an article
9) a loaf
10) a bar
11) a spot
12) a carton
13) a tube
14) a puff
15) an item
16) a sheet
17) a strip
18) a grain
19) a block
20) a breath
Change the uncountable nouns in bold type into countable ones in the sentences using the words from Exercise 4.
Example: Buy some bread or your way home. — Buy a loaf of bread on your way home.
1. I had luck in the casino yesterday. 2. I saw lightening and then heard thunder in the west. 3. How much luggage have you got with you? 4. Would you like some more cake? 5. Daddy brought me milk chocolate! 6. He blew smoke out of his pipe into the open window. 7. How much sugar do you take with your tea? 8. We need to buy some furniture for our kitchen. 9. Give me please brown shoe polish. 10. He told us very interesting information last night,
Write out the nouns which are used only in the plural form (you must get 25 nouns).
athletics, cattle, scissors, taxes, pajamas, economics, police, news, means, goods, pants, subjects, billiards, darts, outskirts, premises, mechanics, spectacles, clothes, stairs, maths, shorts, tights, gymnastics, congratulations, crossroads, patience, scales, lodgings, foundations, equipment, research, authorities, soap, contents, looks, countryside, traffic-lights, tongs, toothpaste, headphones, delays, binoculars, electronics, eyes, trousers
Complete the following table and give the corresponding singular or plural form of the nouns, if any. If there is no the corresponding form, put a v. The first two words are given as examples.Singular
means, scissors, pence, Frenchman, Roman, photo, physics, cloth, sheep, halves, news, sleeves, mice, species, contents, athletics, series, knowledge, feet, phenomena, clothes, bases, headquarters, Japanese
Find the odd word in the chain of the nouns.
Example: tea — butter — onions — meat
1) trousers — spectacles — scales — news 2) advice — knowledge — contents — progress 3) phonetics - vacation - goods – information 4) criteria — datum — oases — radii 5) mice — men — goats — geese 6) police — work — weather — furniture 7) congress — team — government — equipment 8) water — potato — milk — bread 9) time — business — stone — bird 10) means — species — crossroads — wolves 11) thanks — barracks — congratulations — authorities 12) diagnoses — roofs — cattle — accommodation 13) premises — mechanics — darts — laughter 14) success — research — applause — path 15) journey — voyage — travel — walk.
Open the brackets and choose the proper form.
1.1 feel that the jury already (have/has) thought that you are innocent. 2. The government (was/were) not able to pursue the policy which had been promised before the elections. 3. The police (is/are) investigating the case now. 4. The crew of the plane (consist/consists) of four people. 5. His company (was/were) founded in 1996. 6. The party (was/were) in full swing. The music was playing, the company (was/were) eating and drinking. 7. My family (is/are) early risers, so at 11 o'clock p.m. the family (is/are) always in bed. 8. The cattle (is/are) in the field next to it. 9. The committee (is/are) full of enthusiasm. 10. Such an organization as the board of directors (is/are) elected by stockholders. 11. The ship turned out to be a good ship, the crew (was/were) skilled seamen. 12, The government usually (consist/consists) of the prime minister and several ministers. 13. The average American family (have/has) three children. 14. The jury (is/are) represented by twelve people. 15. The crops (is/arc) good this summer,
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate form of the verb to be
1. The crew___rescued by our boat, 2. Her clothes___very fashionable. 3. Your advice___ always welcome. 4. The information he gave us___very useful. 5. A little money___better than nothing. 6. That species of spiders ___commonly seen in deserts of North Africa. 7.1 think her hair___dyed. 8. No news.___good news. 9.1 don't want to work here. The equipment___too complicated. 10. There___a lot of sheep in the field. 11.1 think this ___detailed research. 12. Where___my spectacles? 13. The phenomena___unusual. 14. Mathematics___ difficult, but physics___more difficult to my mind. 15, The cattle___up the hill.
1. Look out! The stairs___.very old. 2. In my opinion, looks___very important for an actor. 3. The police___ responsible for these actions. 4. Criteria___changing, you know. 5. The committee___set up several months ago. 6. The traffic___very heavy in this street. Be careful at the corner. When the traffic-lights___red, don't cross the street. 7. The working wages ___ up. 8. The knowledge she has got at college___very deep. 9. The carrots___delicious. 10. The vacation___always fun. 11. The funeral ___ usually a sad occasion. 12. The evidence___against him. 13. The contents of the letter ___made public. 14. The opera-glasses___out of focus. 15. The grapes___ripe.
Match the words on the left (1-10) with the appropriate phrases on the right (a-j) to get 10 sentences.
1) Your advice a) are located outside London.
2) Our headquarters b) she lent us was not enough.
3) The money c) are fit.
4) The premises d) is an important part of the Olympic Games.
5) The information e) are often deceptive.
6) Best news f) is installed in our shop.
7) New equipment g) against applying for that job was good.
8) Athletics h) was not reliable. It was published in tabloids.
9) The scales i) is always printed in morning newspapers.
10) Appearances j) where he worked were in the suburbs.
Find the mistakes in the follow ing sentences and correct them. Some sentences have more than one mistake.
1. We had such a terrible weather that we left the hotel in the country (we did not have heatings there) and took an accommodation with a fire place in town instead. 2. Yesterday I got a permission to go there. What about you? Have you got your permits? 3. I love French impressionists but I would need an advice from a specialist before I bought any. My knowledges in that area are very poor. 4. Her works are definitely making great progresses these days. She has done a lot of researches lately. 5. Have you heard that Jack's lodging is in London, but in the outskirt of the city? These are interesting news, aren't they? 6. The police is looking for the criminals who escaped last night. The informations about them were sent to all the police stations of the district. 7. Political and economic crises is frequent for Africa. 8. How many luggages are you taking? Oh, I think you won't be able to cope with them. You'll have to hire a porter. 9. Last week was awful for her. She had two tooth pulled out, her childs got ill and finally her husband lost moneys. 10. The tights is too loose for her.
Translate the sentences into English.
1. Его советы всегда бывают такими убедительными (convincing). Почему ты никогда им не следуешь? 2. Какая ненастная (nasty) погода! В такую дождливую погоду лучше сидеть дома. 3. Она делает хорошие успехи в английском, 4. Я удивлен (be surprised), что она поверила этим странным новостям. Боюсь, они недостоверны. Кто их ей сообщил? 5. Мне кажется, эти весы сломаны. 6. Вчера я положил сюда деньги. Где они? Я не могу их найти. 7. Я считаю, что помещение для нашего магазина вполне подходящее. 8. Мне не нравятся эти джинсы. Мне кажется, та пара джинсов лучше. 9. Экипаж был готов выполнить (fulfill) приказ капитана. 10. Критерии часто меняются, 11. Ваши товары сделаны очень плохо. 12. Нику необходимо сшить (sew) новые брюки. У меня есть хорошая синяя материя. 13. Он купил буханку хлеба, пакет молока, кусок мыла и тюбик зубной пасты. 14. Информация о ценах очень интересна. 15. Здесь нет светофора, и перекресток очень опасное место. 16. Виды этих растений (plant) неизвестны. 17. Вдруг позади себя я услышал громкий смех, 18. Его знания по математике лучше моих, 19. Ты взял бинокль? — Нет, он нам не понадобится. Наши места во втором ряду (row). 20. Улики были важными, и он чувствовал, что суд присяжных был против него. 21. В Англии зарплата рабочим выплачивается каждую неделю. 22. Актеров встретили аплодисментами. 23. Мои часы отстают. 24. Морковь богата витаминами. 25. Она считает, что современная одежда красива и удобна (convenient).
The Possessive Case
Paraphrase the following using the possessive case.
Example: The son of our manager — our manager's son
A 1) the house of Mr. Smith; 2) a doll of the girls; 3) the works of Rembrandt; 4) a toy of the baby; 5) a meeting of the employees; 6) the bags of those women; 7) the orders of our boss; 8) the books of the children; 9) the cottage of my parents; 10) a garage of her cousin.
В 1) coal deposits of the world; 2) the influence of the sun; 3) the atmosphere of the earth; 4) the joys and grieves of life; 5) the arrival of the ship; 6) icy mountains of Greenland; 7) the policy of the company; 8) gold reserves of Russia; 9) the gravitation of the planet; 10) the decisions of the commission.
С 1) the mother of Kate and Mary; 2) the children of my aunt Ann; 3) the paintings by Picasso and Dali; 4) the gun of the commander-in-chief; 5) the times of Ivan the Terrible; 6) the speech of the Minister of Foreign Trade; 7) the correspondent of the Herald Tribune; 8) a flat of my father-in-law; 9) the wives of Henry the Eighth; 10) oil wells of Saudi Arabia.
D 1) a cruise which lasts three weeks; 2) work which takes two hours; 3) a distance of five kilometers; 4) the operation which lasted four hours; 5) the flight which took three hours; 6) a semester of eight weeks; 7) the rest which lasted an hour; 8) a play of three acts; 9) a football match which lasts ninety minutes; 10) a telephone conversation which lasts three minutes.
Paraphrase the following using the possessive case.
Example: I must sleep 9 hours a day to feel well. — / must have nine-hour sleep to feel well.
1. Every day at noon we have a break, which lasts fifteen minutes. 2. I can't understand why he is so tired. The distance he covered is a mile only. 3. The walk to the station was short. It took us ten minutes. 4. Last year we spent two weeks in Greece. The holiday was terrific. 5. If you want to get there a trip will take you only five hours. 6. Don't take a training course that lasts a week. It won't do you good. 7. I slept only five hours yesterday because my train came late. 8. Yesterday our lesson lasted thirty minutes because oar teacher was to leave at 12 o'clock. 9. If you want to have a voyage round Europe, you will need at least three weeks. 10. My workweek lasts five days.
Replace the nouns in the possessive case by the prepositional groups where possible.
Example: He always takes his brothers' bocks. — He always takes books of his brothers.
1. The only thing she wanted was to see her parents' house again. 2. No one could explain the young girl's behaviour at yesterday's supper. 3. Last Sunday's rugby match was disappointing. Our team lost. 4. The boy was looking through a children's magazine. 5. After an hour's break we resumed our work. 6. At that time he lived in a little flat for economy's sake. 7. It was four and a half hours' ride, 8. I don't like cow's milk. 9. He was puzzled by Ann and Peter's visit. 10. When Friday came, he was at his wit's ends. 11. She dropped in at the chemist's to buy some aspirin. 12. This is John's coat, and that is Peter's.
Translate into English using noun structures.
1. Президент прибыл в страну с трехдневным визитом (2 варианта). 2. Мне нужно купить туфли. Ты не знаешь, где здесь обувной отдел (department)? 3. Никто не знал, что сказать, и наступило минутное молчание. 4. Когда утром он спустился в столовую, на столе лежали остатки (remains) вчерашнего ужина. 5. Доклад главнокомандующего был краток. 6. Мне кажется, что проблема «отцов и детей» — вечная (eternal) проблема. 7. Эта дорога закрыта. Ведутся дорожные работы. 8. «Утечка мозгов» — острая (acute) проблема развивающихся (developing) стран. 9. Ты считаешь, что в Китае необходимо ввести (implement) регулирование рождаемости? 10. Приезд Поля и Кет был неожиданностью (surprise) для тети Эни. 11. Самые богатые залежи (deposits) нефти находятся в Арабских Эмиратах. 12. Проблемы, с которыми человечество (mankind) столкнулось (face) в конце двадцатого века, — это загрязнение (pollution) почвы, воздуха и воды, а также «парниковый эффект». 13. После двухчасовой прогулки все захотели есть (2 варианта). 14. Портрет жены Рембрандта — одна из самых известных картин художника. 15. Этому замку триста лет.
Choose the right variant.
1. His advice ___always reasonable. I advise you to follow___.
a) are, them c) is, it
b) are, it d) is, them
2. The applause ___deafening. I can't stand ___any longer. Let's go out.
a) are, them c) is, them
b) is, it d) are, it
3. The second witness's evidence ___more convincing. ___made me believe that the suspect is innocent.
a) are, it c) are, they
b) is, it d) is, they
4. Look, her clothes ___brand new. Where did she get the money to buy___?
a) is, it c) are, them
b) are, it d) is, them
5. The Browns who lived in ___house ___dining with the Harrisons who ___their best friends.
a) a three-storey, were, were c) a three-storey's, were, were
b) three-storeys, were, was d) three-storeys, was, were
6. The information he gave us ___convincing. I don't think we should check___.
a) is, it c) are, them
b) is, them d) are.it
7. Her pyjamas ___made of silk. I like ___very much.
a) is, it c) are.it
b) is, them d) are, them
8. These scissors ___dull! I can't cut anything with
a) are, them c) is, it
b) is, them d) are, it
9. When I move to London, I'll have to find lodgings. I'm afraid ___will be very expensive and I'll have to pay for ___half of my salary.
a) it, it c) they, it
b) they, them d) it, them
10. I think billiards ___a dull game. I wonder why the youth nowadays ___so fond of___?
a) are, is, it c) are, are, them
b) is, are, it d) is, are, them
11. He is so depressed. The contents of the letter___ made public. General public ___discussing ___.
a) have been, is, them c) have been, are, them
b) has been, are, it d) has been, is, it
12. Look! Goods ___displayed in the window. The manager says that there will be ___sale.
a) are, two-days' c) are, a two-days
b) is, two-day's d) is, a two-day
13. Our family ___ good at playing draughts. Draughts ___our favourite game. We play __every weekend.
a) is, is, it c) are, are, them
b) are, is, it d) is, are, it
14. Stop! The traffic___heavy and the traffic lights ___red. In___time you will cross the street.
a) is, is, two-minutes c) are, is, a two-minutes'
b) are, are, a two-minute d) is, are, two-minutes'
15. He spent___holiday at the___.
a) a week, Richardsons' c) a weeks, Richardsons
b) week's, Richardson d) week, Richardson's
16. She was going for ___ walk across the fields to the ___ house. She was sure that he would help her because it was the duty of ___ to help poor people like her.
a) a ten-miles, governor's-general, governor-generals
b) a ten-mile's, governor-general's, governors-general
c) a ten-mile, governor-general's, governor-generals
d) ten miles', governor-generals', governors-general
17. She wished she had a little garden with ___ and like that of___.
a) lilies-of-the-valleys, forgets-me-nots, Mrs. Sand
b) lily-of-the-valleys, forget-me-nots, Mrs. Sand's
c) lilies-of-the-valiey, forget-me-nots, Mrs. Sand's
d) lilies-of-the-valleys, forgets-me-not, Mrs. Sand
18. Take your ___ and get out with___! You got my ___ notice, didn't you?
a) belonging, it, two weeks c) belongings, them, two week's
b) belongings, it, a two weeks d) belonging, them, two week's
19. We want to equip our factory with ___ and to install___ in the assembly shop.
a) new machineries, them c) new machines, it
b) a new machinery, it d) new machinery, it
20. Have you got all the ___ of Byron in your home library? — Yes, I have, but I haven't read all of___.
a) works, them c) works, it
b) work, it d) work, them
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary.
1. I saw ___man in ___armchair at ___window. He was reading ___ newspaper. 2.___boy said that he wanted two candies. 3. Is there anybody else in ___ waiting-room? — Yes, ___man wants to speak to you. 4. Where is ___brief-case? I put it on ___table. 5. Is there___ enquiry office at this airport? 6. Could you open ___door, please? I see ___girl knocking. 7. Let's make ___speech at ___reception. 8. ___advice you gave me helped ___lot. 9.1 like to be in ___centre of everything. 10. At ___night I had ___terrible headache after I had drunk ___lot of ___wine in ___evening. 11. Look cut! There is ___dangerous bend in the road. 12. Mrs. Patsy is ___last person I'd like to meet. 13. Tom's planning to take___ boat to go fishing on ___Sunday. 14. Could you phone later, please? Kate's having ___bath. 15. The rent is 150 dollars ___month. 16. We often go to ___theatre and to ___cinema, but very rarely to ___circus. 17. When___ father came home, they had ___dinner and then watched ___TV. They went to ___bed at 11 p.m. 18. What ___ pity they haven't seen this performance! 19. She can't find___ telegram which she received this morning. 20. Are you going to ___country for ___weekend? 21. She usually goes shopping on ___Thursdays, but ___last Thursday she didn't do shopping. She had to go to ___dentist's. 22. What ___lovely song! What ___beautiful music! 23. Could you tell me___time, please? - It's___quarter past six. 24. Do you usually go by___train or in___car there?
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary.
A Geographical names.
1. They travelled by car around ___Europe last month. 2.___Great American Lakes are___Lake Huron, ___Lake Superior,___Lake Ontario,___Lake Michigan and___Lake Erie. 3.___north of___Scotland is known for its wild beauty. 4. Are___Urals higher or lower than___Alps? 5. It was Burns who wrote "My heart's in ___Highlands". 6.___Mediterranean Sea washes___ Europe,___Asia and___northern coast of___Africa. 7. What oceans does___Panama Canal connect? — I suppose___Atlantic and___ Pacific Oceans. 8.___ Seine flows through___Paris to___Atlantic Ocean. 9. We get coffee mostly from ___ Brazil and ___ Columbia. 10.___Alaska is the biggest and coldest state in___USA. 11. Where are___Canaries situated? 12.___ United Kingdom consists of four parts:___England, ___Scotland, Wales and___Northern Ireland, or ___Ulster. 13.___Himalayas are the highest mountains in___Asia. 14. I went to___German Republic last summer, but I haven't been to___Netherlands yet. Of course, I would like to see___Hague. 15.___Thames is not the longest river in___Great Britain but it is rather wide and navigable. 16.___America consists of two parts, ___South and North America, doesn't it? 17. In___north there are___Cheviots. These are the mountains which separate___England from___Scotland. 18.___Brazil is the largest country of___South America.___Amazon, the widest river in___world, flows there. 19. What city is the capital of___Philippines? 20.___Republic of China is the third largest country in___world after Russia and___Canada.
В Abstract nouns and names of materials.
1.___life is impossible without___water and___air. 2. You can't swim in the river ___water isn't warm enough. 3. She hurried in and found___coffee almost boiled away. 4.___oil is lighter than___water. 5. He has___deep knowledge in mathematics. 6. You can't do any work without ___knowledge. 7.___life is ___ complicated matter. 8. ___Browns lived___quiet life somewhere in South Carolina, 9. The Moslems don't eat ___ pork. 10.___water is precious in deserts and can be found in oases. 11. This is___coffee I am so fond of. I don't think there is___better coffee than this. 12. ___ coffee is cultivated in the south of the island. 13. It seems to me Englishmen show___ deep distrust of strangers. 14. He wanted to give his son___ good education. 15.___ air was fresh and cool. 16. Nothing can travel faster than___light. 17. He can give you___good piece of ___advice. He is fond of giving.___advice. — But___ advice he gave us did not help. 18. The patient was making ___noticeable progress. 19. You can be satisfied with ___progress you have made. 20. Our plane ran into___ heavy weather.
С School, college, etc.
1. He had a headache and didn't go to ___work yesterday. 2. "What did you get in__literature?" the mother asked her daughter when she came ___home from___school. 3. It was twelve o'clock but Andrew was still in___bed. 4. Could you give me a lift to___ college? 5. In summer they seldom go to___college. 6.1 like to stay at___home on cold evenings. 7. Have you heard anything from John lately? — Yes, he graduated from___Cambridge University. 8. The queen is going to open___new hospital in the capital next week. 9. Mom came to___school to see my teacher yesterday. 10. "You must do this exercise at___school and that one at___ home," said our teacher in a loud voice. 11.1 left my bag in___hospital when I was visiting Judy. 12. What a strange building! — It's___prison. It was built in the last century. 13. When I came to___prison to see my cousin, I found out that he had escaped two days before. 14. Look at this man. Can you imagine that he was in ___prison five years ago? 15. Let's meet at___church. It's on the left of___university. 16.1 went to___church last Sunday but I couldn't pray. There were two many people in___ church. 17. The doctor hoped that the patient would not stay in___bed for a long time. 18. Look at this ring. What a fine piece of___work! 19. They called a plumber to___prison to repair bad taps. 20. The parents were waiting for their children outside ___ school. 21. Oh, what___beautiful church! Let's go there to make some photos.
D Proper names.
1.___Mall is a wide avenue leading from___Trafalgar Square to___Buckingham Palace, the residence of the English kings. 2. The centre of___City is represented by three buildings:___Mansion House,___Royal Exchange and___Bank of___England. 3. When will he arrive at ___Heathrow airport? 4.___ Bolshoi Theatre is famous for its ballet performances. 5. What is on at ___ "Pushkinsky"? 6.___Princess Diana stayed at___Hilton Hotel. 7. People coming to London often do shopping in ___Oxford Street. 8.___London Zoo is situated in___. Regent Park in London. 9. If you are interested in churches and historical places, you should by no means see___ Westminster Abbey, ___Houses of Parliament,___St. Paul's Cathedral and___Tower. 10.___British Museum is famous for its library, one of the richest in the world. 11. The English parks —___Hyde Park,___Kensington Gardens and___Kew Gardens where you forget that you are in the big city, struck me most of all. 12. Julius Caesar founded___Tower of London. 13. Across the road from Westminster Abbey is___Westminster Palace, the seat of___British Parliament. 14. My train leaves from ___Waterloo Station at 2.10 a.m. 15.___West End is the symbol of a wealthy and luxurious life. 16. If you like art galleries you should go to___National Gallery and ___Tate. 17. Where do you live? — I live in___High Street. 18. On ___ Wednesday ___ Financial Times published an article about the situation in___North Korea. 19. Are you going to stay at___St. Marcus Hotel? — No, at___Plaza Hotel. 20. If you want to do shopping, go to ___Oxford Street or___Bond Street.
E Nouns denoting parts of the day and names of seasons.
1. It was___evening. 2. It was___warm summer evening. 3.___evening was very pleasant. 4. Let's meet in___evening, I'll be very busy in___afternoon. 5. It was___early morning. 6. It snowed at___night. 7. We started early in ___ morning. 8. We were shivering though it was___warm night. 9. They got up at___ dawn. The sun was shining brightly, there were no clouds in the sky. But they started off late in___morning. 10. What do you usually do in___autumn? 11. Russians like___hard winter with plenty of___snow and___ frost. 12. Nature is so beautiful in___spring. 13. In this country___spring is rather wet,___summer is sometimes hot,___autumn is windy and muddy,__ winter is seldom cold and snowy. How can people live here? I prefer___summer all the year round. 14. She still remembers___autumn when he first told her of his love. 15. Nothing can be more beautiful than green forests in___early spring. 16. It was___late autumn. 17.___autumn of 1996 was very warm and sunny. 18.___ spring and love make people feel young. 19. I am going to France in___summer. 20. In Great Britain___winters are not severely cold, while___summers are rarely hot.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary.
1.___pine grows in many parts of the world. 2.___life would be more difficult without___telephone. 3.___whale is in___danger of becoming extinct. 4. He prefers___town to___country. 5. Can you play___violin? 6. Will you play___draughts with me? 7.___tulips and daffodils are my favourite spring flowers. 8.___Chinese invented ___paper and___powder. 9.___gulden is the currency of___Dutch. 10.___man and___woman were created equal. 11. The government should take more care of___disabled and___unemployed. 12. Yesterday we went to the Zoo. We saw ___small bear there. He was like ___Teddy bear. 13. Does___ polar bear live in___Arctic or in___Antarctic? 14. He brought her___black rose. ___black rose is___very rare species. 15.___bicycle is one of the main transport means in ___Amsterdam. 16. Was it difficult for you to communicate in ___„ Switzerland? — No, fortunately I met___Swiss who spoke ___English very well. He helped us a lot. 17. When did ___man first go into___space? 18.___daffodil is the national emblem of___Welsh.
Exercise 21. (Revision.)
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary.
1. He lives in___south of___Australia. 2. In his novels Jack London, ___ famous American writer, described___life of___poor. 3. It seemed to him that nothing would break such___peaceful silence. Suddenly there was___scream, then___second and___third. 4. Can you play___guitar? 5. He came in one morning when we were having___dinner on___terrace of___ hotel and introduced himself. 6.___world tour costs ___lot of money. 7. Did he fail you? What___surprise! 8.1 don't believe you. I think you're telling ___lie. 9. Did you have___lovely time in___ Hague? 10. It was ___ early evening but I was feeling sleepy so I decided to have___nap. 11. He made___gross mistake.___ economists can't make such___mistakes. 12. Have___ look at the sky. It looks like___rain, 13. She'll have___ swim and return in___quarter of___hour. 14. I'll have to convince him that I'm telling___truth. 15. He wasn't used to driving on___left. 16.___Christmas Eve is on ___ 24th of December, 17, Don't worry, we'll get___home before___sunset. 18, I'd like to have___ sandwich with___sausage for___breakfast, 19. My favourite subject at___school was___biology. 20. He knows___ history of___French Revolution well. 21. To tell___ truth, I didn't expect to find___ homeless man here. 22. It's___ high time you stopped being so selfish. 23.___earth goes round ___sun. 24.___Lombard Street in___City of London is___centre of___banking in Great Britain. 25,___Queen Elizabeth___II won't speak on___radio tomorrow, 26.___English Channel is between___Great Britain and___France. 27.___ Trafalgar Square is ___ geographical centre of ___ London. 28. When___student, Jane spent two years in ___Europe. 29.___Pacific is___ largest ocean on our planet. 30. Have you ever been to___Museum of___ Fine Arts? 31. Show me___Bermudas on this map, please. 32.___Mississippi is___longest river in ___USA. 33. One of my classmates entered ___ Moscow State University last year. As for me, I chose___Higher School of___Economics. 34 ___Urals are old and not very high. 35. We are just taking___first steps into___ space.___universe is still terra incognita for us. 36. ___ Russians have ____ wonderful folk song tradition. 37. Why don't you eat with___knife and ___fork? 38. They've been waiting to hear from him all___month. 39. We met on___wet Monday in___June. 40. Look out!___cat is on___TV! 41.___Queen Elizabeth had ___dinner with__ President Clinton. 42. lie was elected ___President in 1996. 43. Mr. Smith, „___ engineer of Black &Co., returned from his trip to____Malta. 44. He sat to his letter to___ Sun, 45. Mary was talking with ___Dodges who were sitting near the fire-place. 46. I saw___beautiful Goya in Milan once. 47, He locked at me from___head to____toe. 48.1 fought for.___freedom, for the brotherhood of___man, 49. He is___very sociable man. He always has many invitations to___ dinner, 50. On___one hand,___facts he presented are true, but on___other hand, I can't trust them. I know he often tells___lies. 51. He fell in love with her at___ first sight. 52. Don't take my words close to___heart. 53.___ Moscow of 1950's is not___Moscow of___1990's.
Translate into English.
1. Будьте добры, передайте мне соль, пожалуйста. 2. Вечер был влажный (damp) и прохладный. 3. Был холодный и ветреный (windy) день. 4. Вино слишком сладкое. 5. Я люблю сухое вино. 6. Она нашла такую хорошую работу. 7. Погода плохая. Ночь была очень холодная. Я не хочу гулять в такую холодную погоду. 8. Человек приручил (domesticate) собаку много лет назад. 9. Это неожиданная новость. 10. Он обладает обширными знаниями в области медицины. 11. Кипр к Мальта известные туристические центры. 12. Она прожила трудную жизнь. 13. Нефть используют для производства (production) бензина. 14. Шотландия__ гористая (mountainous) часть Великобритании. Самая высокая гора — пик Бен-Невис. 15. Где они остановились? — В отеле «Континенталь». Это на Хай-стрит.
Choose the right variant.
1. He crossed ___stream which was below the pool stepping cautiously from ___stone to ___stone.
b) the, the, the
c) а, а, а
d) the, a, a
2. In___ spring of ___following year we went __abroad and were absent several months.
b) the, the, the
3. ___day after my talk with Isabel I left ___Chicago for___ San Francisco where I was to take ship for___ Far East.
b) the,___,___, the
c) ___, __, the, the
d) the, the, the, the
4. After ___lunch they sat down under the oak tree drinking ___Turkish coffee.
a) the, the
c) __, the
d) a, a
5.1 had scarcely got into ___bed when a strain of _ music seemed to break forth in ___air just below my window.
b) a,___, the
c) the, the,___
d) the,___, the
6. But after ___fortnight of ___bad weather it cleared. "Let's see how ___weather turns out?" he said and took a chair nearer at ___hand.
a) ___,a,___, the
b) a, the, the, a
c) a,___, the,___
d) the, the, the, the
7. At ___tea, which they both took with ___lemon, John spoke about ___Bahamas.
a) ___, the, the
e) ___,___, the
d) the, the, the
8. ___map of ___world, until ___end of ___ fifteenth century exhibited only ___one hemisphere, and even that was not completely explored.
a) the, the, the, the, the
b) the,___,___, the,___
c) a, the, ___,___s___
d) the, the, the, the,___
9. As ___weather was fine, they had ___pleasant walk across ___park which stretched along ___Thames.
a) the, the, the, the
b)___, the, a, the
c) the,__, the,___
d) the, a, the, the
10. On ___first of ___May, after their last year together at ___college, Frank and Robert were on___ tram.
a) the, the,___,___
c) the,___,___, a
d) the,___, the, a
11. At that time of ___year the wild animals —___ lion, ___gazelle and ___antelope also wander further to ___south.
a) the, the, the, the, the
b) ___, a, a, a, the
c) a, the, the, the,___
d) the,___,___,___, the
12. After ___tea Edgar and the brothers received ___permission to leave ___table.
a) the, a, the
b) ___, the,___
c) ___,___, the
13. "I am in ___hurry. Turn to ___left in ___High Street and drive me down to ___East End," I ordered taking my seat.
a) a, the, the, the
b) a, the,___, the
d) the, a, the, an
14. Through an open window a peak of ___Balkans, wonderfully white and beautiful in ___ starlit snow seems quite close at ___hand.
a) the, the, the
b) the, the,___
c) ___, a, a
d) the, a, a
15. ___great Sahara, that frightful desert of___ vast scorching sand, stretching from ___Red Sea to ___Atlantic, is cleft by one solitary thread of___ water.
a) the,___, the, the,___
b) ___, a, the, the, the
c) the, the, the,___,___
d)___,___,___, the, the
16. It was ___late evening, and after ___lamp-heated air of ___dining-room, ___coolness of ___night was delicious.
a) a, a, the,___,___
b) the, the, the, the, the
c) ___,___, a,___, a
d)___, the, the, the, the
17. He walked into ___Green Park that he might cross to ___Victoria Station and take ___underground into ___City.
a) the,___, the, the
b) the, the, the, the
d) ___,___, an,___
18.___rice, ___jute, ___indigo, ___opium oilseeds, and ___tea are ___principle articles which come into export trade from ___Calcutta.
b) the, the, the, the, the, the,___
c) ___,___,___the,___,___, the
d) the, the, the,___, the,----,-----
19. They reached___outskirts of___forest, and saw__lights of___village in which they dwelled.
a)___, a,___, a,
b) the, the, the, the
c) ___, the, the, the
d) the, the, the, a
20. "___telephone may quicken some of___labours, but it hardly lightens them, since by its power to interrupt it usually wastes quite as much time as it otherwise saves," he said with___laughter.
a) a, the, the
b) the,___, a
c) ___, the,___
d) the, the,___
21. He came into___lounge.___woman with___ dark hair and___ thin straight face was arranging some flowers in the hall.
a) the, a,___, a
b) a, a, the, the
c)___, the, the, the
d) the, a, the, a
22. What___wonderful frame it is! Is it made of ___birch?___birch is my favourite tree.
a) ___, the, the
b) a, the, a
c) a,___, the
d)___, a, a
23. They went___side by___side,___hand in___ hand silently towards the hedge, where___mayflowers, both pink and white, were in___full blossom.
a)___,___, the, the,___, a
b) the, the___,___,___,___
c) a, a,___,___, the, the
d) ___t ___t ___, ___t ___, ___
24. There are several ways of capturing___tigers. But___hunters must be very careful because___tiger is___ferocious beast.
a) ___,___, the, a
b) the,___, a, a
c) ___, the, a, the
d) ___,___, the, the
25. During___last ten years she has been___head mistress of___elementary school.
a) the,___, an
b) ___.the ___
c) ___, ___,___
d) the, the, the
The Adjective / The Adverb
Put the following into the correct order.
1) suede / Italian / new / red / soft / shoes 2) elderly / tall / Englishman 3) oval / Venetian / ancient / valuable / glass 4) shiny / large / expensive / brown / leather / case 5) square / wooden / old / nice / table 6) modern / stone / large / beautiful / cottage 7) porcelain / tea / blue / thin / old / cup 8) young / blonde / handsome / tall / man 9) old / several / English / beautiful / castles 10) pretty / French / young / a lot of / girls 11) dark blue / best / silk / my / shirt 12) young / many / factory / German / workers.
Choose the right word.
1. I don't like horror films. I think they are (frightening/frightened) and (boring/bored). 2. Don't look so (surprising/surprised). Of course, it war a (surprising/surprised) decision but we had no other out. 3. It was a (tiring/tired) journey. I wish I hadn't it. I feel completely (exhausting/exhausted) after 4. The football match was (disappointing/disappointed). Our team lost the game and we left the stadium quite (disappointing/disappointed). 5. He can't remember his pupils' names. It seemed funny at first, but now it is rather (embarrassing/embarrassed). 6. So far as Mrs. Brown was concerned she did not seem to be in the least (embarrassing/embarrassed). 7. He did not come and she 'looked rather (worrying/worried). 8. The rise in crime is (depressing/depressed). 9. The pictures made a (depressing/depressed) impression on him. 10. She is not (satisfying/satisfied) with her position.
Complete the sentences with the words from the box using the proper degree.
Busy few famous convenient well-read kind-hearted straight hot
1. She is easy to deal with. I think she is ___than her sister. 2. I suppose the works of this artist are___ abroad than in his country. 3. This armchair is ___of all. 4. He knows a lot. He is ___than his schoolmates. 5. Let's take this path. It's ___. 6. The street you live in is ___than mine. 7. Days are getting ___in July. 8. He made ___mistakes in his class.
Match the adjectives on the left with their definitions on the right.
1) further a) after some time
2) farther b) the second of two things or persons already mentioned
3) last c) the smallest
4) latter d) coming immediately after, in space or in order
5) elder e) additional
6) nearer f) at a greater distance
7) next g) least good
8) least h) coming after all others in time or order
9) later i) senior of members of the family
10) worst j) closer
Open the brackets and use the comparative form of the adjectives and adverbs.
1. This exercise is (simple) than that one. 2. Why are you talking? Please be (quiet). 3. New districts of Moscow are (beautiful) than the old ones. 4. He is (clever) than his brother. 5. My (old) sister is 4 years (old) than me. 6. There are (many) customers on Saturdays than on weekdays. 7. Are expensive things (good) than cheap ones? 8. Is English grammar (difficult) than Russian grammar? 9. He has made (few) mistakes than yesterday. 10. She had to give us (far) information though she didn't want to. 11. Students from Group 3 are (industrious) than those from Group 1.12. Нал с you met our new colleagues, Mr. Brown, and Mr. Green? The former is an excellent economist, (late) is a good lawyer. 13. They have got down to business without any (far) delay. 14. This matter is (urgent) than that one. 15. He plays tennis (bad) than she. 16. He's got a still (old) edition of this book. 17. Is there a (late) train passing here? 18. (far) details will be given tomorrow. 19. Motor-cycles are (noisy) than cars, aren't they?
Choose the right variant.
1. Martin was the (more talented/most talented) of the two brothers. 2. Of the three shirts I like the blue one (better/best). 3. My dog is the (prettier/prettiest) of the two. 4. This summary is the (better/best) of the two presented. 5. There are nine planets in our solar system and Pluto is the (farther/farthest). 6. Mary is the (tallest/ taller) of the two girls. 7. The boss likes my plan (better/ best) of the two. 8. This is the (less difficult/least difficult) of the four cases. 9. This knife is the (sharpest/ sharper) of the two. 10. Mother was the (more/most) beautiful of seven daughters.
Translate into English.
1. Кто из этих двух лучший ученик? 2. Она примерила (try on) свои два платья и надела самое нарядное (smart). 3. Он осмотрел все компьютеры и купил самый современный (modern). 4. Кто самый высокий ученик в классе? 5. Из двух игрушек мальчик выбрал самую яркую.
Make up sentences according to the example.
Example: life/becoming/hard — Life is becoming harder and harder.
life/becoming/difficult — Life is becoming more and more difficult.
1) people/living/long 2) going abroad/becoming/popular 3) crime/becoming/common 4) the light in the rooms/becoming/dim 5) computers/becoming/expensive 6) factories/employing/few/workers 7) his heart/beating/hard 8) Moscow/becoming/beautiful 9) his voice/becoming/weak 10) nights- in winter/becoming/long.
Give the superlative form of the adjectives in brackets.
1. The Pan-American Highway is (long) road in the world. 2. The Beatles were (successful) pop group. 3. Japan has (crowded) railways in the world. 4. This is our (old) national airline. 5. The Chrysler Building was once (tall) in the world. 6. Is English (useful) language to learn? 7. This is one of (expensive) stores in the city. 8. The Queen must be (rich) woman in the world. 9. Unfortunately, I haven't heard (late) news. I think it was very interesting. 10. Is the Mona Lisa (valuable) painting in the world? 11. His house is (far) in the street. 12. February is (snowy) and (cold) month of the year here. 13. (dangerous) spider is the black widow, whose bite can kill a man in a few minutes.14. The world's (expensive) perfume costs $550 per bottle. 15. (deep) part of the Pacific Ocean is 11 kilometers below the sea-level. 16. I wonder what his (near) step is going to be. 17. Who are (old) members of the club? 18. It was (late) thing I expected of him. 19. The diamond is (hard) mineral in the world. 20. His house is (far) in our street.
Translate into English using the proper degrees of the words in bold type.
1. Возьмите этот чемодан (suitcase), он легче вашего. 2. В районе West End находятся самые дорогие магазины. 3. Что ты собираешься делать дальше? 4. Я думаю, что он старше вас, помоложе меня. 5. Это самый талантливый студент в нашей группе. 6. Хотя у нас были самые плохие места, нам очень понравился спектакль (performance). 7. Где ближайшее почтовое отделение? 8. Последний поезд прибывал в полночь. 9. Последние известия были совсем неинтересные. 10. Они получили дополнительные сведения по этому вопросу,
Put the adverbs in the right place.
Example: These books are old (very). — These books are very old.
1. I hate traveling by air (really). 2. She trusted him (entirely). 3. I understand your situation (fully). 4. It is not his fault. He did not want it to happen (at all). 5. The rain spoiled my day (completely). 6. We did the job quickly (fairly). 7. Though he tried to persuade her, she believed his story (hard, half). 8. He believes that he is right (firmly). 9. The prices are cheap at the hotel (reasonably). 10. I was tired to eat (too, even).
For each situation put in very, quite or a bit. (Sometimes you may have two variants.)
Example: Buses run every half an hour there. -
Buses run ___frequently. — Buses run quite/very frequently.
1. I couldn't sleep. There was ___a lot of noise from the disco. 2. There was heavy traffic on the road. The road was ___busy. 3. It was only a minute or two after the scheduled time when the train came. The train was ___late. 4. Someone paid a great deal of money for the house. The house was ___expensive. 5. There were one or two small traces of mud on the boots. The boots were___ dirty. 6. We had reasonable weather. It wasn't ___ marvelous, but it didn't rain. The weather was ___good. 7. That music is ___too loud. 8. I ___like my new job. It's very interesting and better paid than the previous one. 9. They have ___a lot of business with our company in Belgium. 10. She was not ___satisfied with her new dress. There was something ___disappointing but she could not understand what.
Fill in the blanks with so or such.
1. The weather was ___nasty that she decided to stay at home. 2. He drove at ___ a high speed that I got frightened. 3. The show was ___amusing that we couldn't help laughing. 4. He was ___shocked that he couldn't say a word. 5. There were ___few participants present that the meeting was cancelled. 6. The girl looked ___sick that the mother called the doctor in. 7. The programme was___ entertaining that nobody wanted to miss it. 8. They made ___brilliant reports that the audience burst out applauding. 9. There were ___many interesting books that he did not know which to choose. 10. I have been studying for ___a long time that I have got a headache now.
Complete the following sentences with the adverbs in the comparative and superlative forms. (You can use the word only once).
Carefully easily frequently high late long loud smartly near quickly fast well
Example: I was afraid to go ___than halfway up the tower. — / was afraid to go higher than halfway up the tower.
1. I could have found the place ___if I had had a map. 2. We were tired and we all envied Mary, for she lived___. 3. I like this picture ___of all. 4. Why are you wearing these old jeans? You might have dressed___. 5. You needn't go away yet. You can stay a bit___. 6. To get to London by nine, we can't leave___ than seven. It takes two hours. 7. There are a lot of robberies in our city. They happen ___nowadays than before. 8. Do it again ___and you won't make so many mistakes. 9. We can't hear you well. Could you speak a bit___? 10. We all ran pretty fast, but Andrew ran ___than me, and Sam ran___.
Open the brackets and give the comparative or superlative degree of the following adjectives and adverbs.
1. That is (incredible) story I have ever heard, 2. It is not always (bright) students who do well in tests. 3. Terylene shirts are (hard) wearing, but cotton shirts are much (comfortable). 4. Which is (deep), Lake Michigan or Lake Superior? 5. She is far (self-confident) than she used to be. 6. (tall) man among the guests is a basketball player. 7. I like both of them, but I think Kate is (easy) to talk to. 8. Most people are (well off) than their parents used to be. 9. She has a lot to be thankful for; but (sad) thing of all is that she does not realize it, 10. I want to buy a car — (powerful) one you have. 11. You look a lot (sad) than you did last time I saw you. 12. There is nothing (irritating) than locking yourself out of your own house. 13. Both roads lead to the city centre, but the left-hand one is probably a bit (short) and (direct). 14. As I get (old), I notice the policemen seem to be getting (young). 15. The boys in our school are much (good-looking) and a lot (good) at football than the boys m other schools in the town.
Open the brackets and give the correct forms of the comparative constructions,
Example: (Much) you read, (well) you will know English. — The more you read, the better you will know English.
1. (Interesting) the book is, (fast) you read it. 2, (Early) you come, (quickly) we finish the work. 3. (Hot) the weather is, (bad) I feel. 4. (Soon) he takes the medicine, (well) he will feel. 5. (Little) she ate, (angry) she was. 6. (Long) the children saw the film, (frightened) they felt. 7. (Late) you come, (little) you will sleep. 8. (Much) you study, (clever) you will become. 9. (Cold) the winter is, (hot) the summer will be. 10. (Near) you come up, (well) you will see the picture.
Translate into English.
1. Чем больше он говорит, тем меньше его слушают, 2. Чем длиннее ночь, тем короче день, 3. Чем скорее вы придитесь за работу, тем быстрее вы ее закончите. 4, Чем больше вы будете находиться на свежем воздухе, тем лучше вы будете себя чувствовать. 5. Чем меньше женщину мы любим, тем больше нравимся мы ей. 6. Чем внимательнее вы будете делать домашнее задание, тем меньше ошибок вы сделаете. 7. Чем больше он работал, тем меньше времени он уделял (devote) своей семье, 8, Чем больше он играл, тем больше он проигрывал. 9, Чем дальше мы шли, тем менее знакомым (familiar) казался лес. 10. Чем старше си становился, тем больше он походил на своего отца.
Complete the sentences using the constructions as ... as or not so ... as/not as ... as. Choose the one from the box.High poor beautiful important tall crowded fast expensive big lazy
1. I know that your job is important, but my job is important too, My job is___. 2. The bicycle is fast, but the car is faster. The bicycle is ___ 3. Her knowledge is poor, but he knows a bit more. His knowledge is ___. 4. He is lazy, but his brother is lazy too. He is ___. 5. Their furniture costs $700, and ours is $870. Their furniture is ____. 6. France is big. Belgium is not a big country.
Belgium is ___. 7. Her wages are $200 a week, and mine are $150. My wages are ___. 8. She is beautiful, but I like her sister better. I think, she is____ 9. He is tall, but I am taller. He is ____. 10. Tverpkaya and Arbat are crowded streets. Tverskaya street is ____.
Complete the sentences with than ... or us... as or the same … as.
1. Everybody was shocked. Nobody was more shocked ___Nick. 2. I wish you were ___ pretty ___your mother, 3. He is ___ age ___my brother. 4.1 earn___ much money ___he does. But she earns more ___we both. 5. I ordered ___drink ____he did. 6. Your car is much more powerful ___mine, bat my small car is ___expensive ____yours. 7. I spent___ much money ___he did. But I didn't spend___ sum____ Mary did. I spent much less money ___she. 8. Petrol is more expensive now ___a few years ago. 9. Prices are not ___in the 1990s. 10. Paris is ___exciting ___London.
Translate into English.
1. Он потратил не так много времени на перевод этой статьи, как вы. 2. Она сыграла свою роль сегодня так же хорошо, как и два дня назад. 3. В этот день Том написал столько же писем, сколько и вчера. 4. Эти новости не такие интересные, как те, которые мы слышали на прошлой неделе. 5. Он получил такое же образование, как и ты. 6. Сегодня мороз не такой сильный (severe), как вчера. Мы можем пойти погулять. 7. Товары в этом магазине не такие дорогие, как в том. 8. Уровень жизни (living standard) в России не такой высокий, как в США. 9. Новая машина Майкла такая же мощная, как и моя. 10. Движение на этой улице не такое интенсивное (heavy), как в центре.
A Make up sentences according to the example.
Example: He is (twice/old) she is. — He is twice as old as she is,
1. He is not (half/clever) I thought. 2. It took her (three times/ long) she expected. 3. She is not going to marry a man who is (twice/old) she is. 4. He can lift a box (three times/heavy) that one. 5. The new stadium is (several times/large) the old one. 6, He does it (two times/ quickly) she does. 7. Petrol is (several times/expensive) it was two years ago. 8. Her new flat is (three times/ large) her old one. 9. Grapes in autumn are (several times/ cheap) they are in winter. 10. He spends (twice/much) we do.
В Change the sentences according to the example.
Example: This book costs 4 dollars and that one costs 2 dollars. — This book costs twice as much as that one.
1. Nick has 8 discs and I have 24 discs. 2. This TV model costs $700 and that one $350. 3. It took me 40 minutes and her 10 minutes to get there. 4.1 earn $2000 dollars and she earns $1000. 5. This room is 12m2 and that one is 24.
Translate into English.
1. Ваше эссе (essay) в два раза длиннее моего. 2. Это дерево в два раза выше того. 3. Bap,i нравится этот пиджак? — Да, но он в три раза дороже того. 4. Сегодня в два раза холоднее, чем вчера. 5. Она выглядит в два раза моложе своей сестры. 6. Все его приятели в два раза старше него. 7. Хотя эта квартира и в два раза меньше той, она мне больше нравится. 8. Этот перевод вдвое легче того. Я уверен, ты с ним справишься (соре with). 9. Спидометр (speedometer) показывает, что машина идет в два раза быстрее, чем раньше. 10. Если ты поедешь поездом, а не самолетом, ты доберешься туда в несколько раз медленнее.
Make up sentences according to the example.
Example: No sooner he (arrive) home___he fell ill. — No sooner had he arrived home than, he fell ill. 2. Hardly he (arrive) home___he wanted to leave. — Hardly had he arrived home when he wanted to leave.
1. No sooner she (receive) the money___she went chopping. 2. No sooner he (open) the door___he felt the smell of gas. 3. Hardly they (come) into the house___ the rain started. 4. No sooner he (eat) the first course ___the telephone rang. 5. Hardly she (knock) at the door ___he opened it. 6. Hardly the sun (rise)___they started off. 7. No sooner he (read) the newspaper article___he phoned her. 8. Hardly she (buy) a car__she got into an accident. 9. No sooner he (look) at the title___he realized that it was the book he had wanted for such a long time. 10. Hardly the meeting (begin)___ the participants decided to re-elect the committee.
Translate into English using the constructions of the previous exercise.
1. Он так устал, что, едва добравшись до дома, сразу же лег спать. 2. Едва лишь мы закончили работу, как зазвонил телефон. 3. Как только она вошла в комнату, как почувствовала, что в доме кто-то есть. 4. Едва она увидела мышь, как сразу же закричала. 5. Как только мы вышли из дома, сразу же пошел дождь. 6. Едва мы поздоровались (greet), как он сразу же подошел к телефону.
Exercise 47. Fill In the blanks with the words from the box.close
1. They had to dig ___to get oil. 2. His position was _____ uncertain. 3. This is the ___way to do it. 4. When I came he was ___asleep. 5. Please keep ___to the subject. 6. Не was walking _____ 7. His ___ambitions are well known to everybody. 8. He dived ___into the water and soon emerged at the opposite side of the river. 9. The baby is as ___as a flower. 10. I saw him at a ___distance. 11. He had to study___ to be the first. 12. He is a___ person to speak to. 13. We can't expect a ___answer from him. 14. Take it___! Everything will be all right. 15. They live ___around the corner. 16. The engine is ___to operate. 17. You shouldn't speak ___about people. 18. This athlete can jump___. 19. Tell me___ what you think. 20. She looks quite___.
Find the appropriate Russian equivalents for the English adverbs.
1) shortly а) вероятно
2) hardly b) внимательно
3) nearly с) упорно
4) late d) весьма
5) hard e) почти
6) lately f) едва
7) sharp g) недавно
8) pretty h) поздно
9) closely i) ровно
10) likely j) вскоре
Choose the appropriate adverb.
1. He lives quite (nearly/near). 2. You've come too (lately/late). 3. The mechanic examined the damaged car (closely/close). 4. It is (prettily/pretty) difficult to speak to her. 5. We have seen very little of you (lately/late). 6. She is always (prettily/pretty) dressed. 7. He (nearly/ near) seized the rail. 8. I used to work (hardly/hard) to get everything I have got now. 9. His suggestion seemed (highly/high) improbable to us, 10. Her house stood (closely/close) to the river. 11. The wind was blowing so (hardly/hard) that I could (hardly/hard) walk. 12. The actress (justly/just) deserved the prize. 13. The plane flew (highly/high), we could (hardly/hard) see it. 14. (Shortly/ Short) after graduating I moved to the capital. 15. I could see the house door which was (widely/wide) open.
Choose the appropriate word.
1. In spite of the coming danger he remained (calm/ calmly). 2. Though the dish smelt (good/well), he refused to eat saying he was not hungry. 3. She looked at me (angry/angrily) and told me to leave the room. 4. She spends a lot of money on her clothes but they always look (cheap/cheaply). 5. Have you seen him? — Yes, he looks (good/well) but he says he feels (bad/badly). 6. His cough sounds (terrible/terribly). He should see a doctor. 7. Be (quiet/quietly). Stop talking, behave yourselves. 8. The situation looks (bad/badly). We must do something. 9. He seemed to me a bit (strange/strangely) today. 10. The fish tastes (awful/awfully). I won't eat it. 11. He looked (good/well) in his new suit.
Translate into English paying attention to the adjectives and adverbs in bold type.
1. У него сильно болит голова. Он едва может говорить. 2. Почему ты каждый день опаздываешь на работу? Ты, наверное, встаешь слишком поздно. 3. Как ты себя чувствуешь сегодня? — Спасибо, хорошо. 4, Ты говоришь слишком быстро. Они тебя не понимают. 5. Я люблю ходить в ресторан. Еда там всегда вкусная. 6. Он не очень хорошо себя чувствует сейчас. 7. Он упорно готовится к экзаменам. 8. Я очень устал. Я плохо спал вчера ночью. 9. Он бегает очень быстро. 10, Я не видел его последнее время. 11. Ну же, Ник! Почему ты всегда ешь так медленно? 12. Как приятно пахнут твои духи! 13. Ее работа очень трудная. Ей приходится упорно работать. Она едва успевает поесть. 14. Поезд опоздал, и поэтому я приехал домой поздно.15. У нее беглый английский. Она говорит по-английски очень хорошо.
Choose the correct form of pronouns in brackets.
1. What colour is the shirt? It is so far that I can't see (it's/its/it) colour. 2. They rarely drive to (their/them/ theirs) office. They live near (it's/it/its). 3. Look at (me/ mine/my) new watch. Do you like (it/them/its)? 4. These books are (her/hers). Give (them/their/theirs) to (hers/ her). 5. Do you like (you/your/yours) new car? — Oh, (it's/it/its) has never let me down yet. 6. (Theirs/Their/ Them) work is much more difficult than (you/yours/ your) or (me/mine/my). 7. Why are (you/your/yours) sitting here? It is not (you/your/yours) desk, it is (me/ mine/my). 8. This tape recorder of (her/hers/she) is always out of order. — But so is (you/your/yours)! 9. She has not read a line of (you/your/yours), how can she criticize (you/your/yours) books? 10. The clock has stopped. Something may be wrong with (it's/it/its) spring. 11. (We/Our/Ours) was the last turn. 12. (Their/Theirs/ Them) knowledge of French is not much more superior to (we/our/ours). 13. He is a friend of (us/our/ours). (He/ His/Him) house is opposite (us/our/ours). 14. If these gloves are neither (she/her/hers) nor (you/your/yours), then they should be (me/my/mine). 15. He can live without (me/my/mine) help but not without (them/their/theirs).
Translate the sentences into English.
1. Кто там? — Откройте, это я. 2. Мой дом на правой стороне улицы, а их — на левой. 3. Их лодка была быстрее нашей. 4. Как зовут вашу собаку? — Ее зовут Квин. 5. В этом районе построена новая дорога. Ее длина более трехсот километров, 6. Это ваша ручка, а это его, но где же моя? 7. Она взяла мои ключи вместо своих. 8. Самый лучший план — ваш. 9. Чью работу будут npоверять (clieek up) — Джона и in Кэт? 10. Его автомобиль небольшой, но мотор (engine) у него мощный.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate reflexive pronouns and translate the sentences into Russian,
1.1 opened the door and found___facing a stranger. 2. Go and see it for___if you like. 3. The newcomers built the houses___. 4. Would you mind keeping your words to ___? 5. He has injured ______ 6. During the breaks they amused _____ in the bar. 7. We protect.___from the cold with warm things. 8. She settled___in the armchair as comfortably as she could. 9. You can trust him. He is honesty __. 10. He cut____shaving this morning. 11 She burnt ___ironing a dress. 12. Don't blame___. It is not your fault. 13. Did you cut your hair___or did you go to the hairdresser's? 14. Aren't you hungry? Help___to the meat. It's delicious. 15. How did you enjoy___? 16. We must discuss everything to find the way out. Pull___together. 17. She dried__ with a blue towel. 18. He felt___getting angry. 19. They had to excuse ___ for their strange behaviour. 20.1 want to insure___against any losses.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate reflexive pronouns where necessary.
1. Have a good time. Try to relax___and enjoy___. 2. She decided to excuse___his bad behavior. 3. Why don't you want to concentrate___? Pull___together and start work. 4. She did not know where to hide___. 5. Though it was rather cold in the room he felt __ hot. 6. Have you shaved ___today? 7. She found ___in an awkward situation. 8. Did the children behave___? 9. We protected ___against damage. 10. She stopped crying, washed___, and decided to go downstairs.
Replace the words in bold type by expressions with reflexive pronouns.
1.1 saw it with my own eyes. 2. You needn't come in person. 3. He left us alone. 4. She lives on her own. 5. Did you study English without a teacher? 6. The girl apologized for her behaviour. 7. We were quite alone in the room. 8. Take the cake, please. 9. They divided the work between each other. 10. It is your own fault.
Translate the sentences into English using reflexive pronouns where necessary.
1. Я сам узнаю, лучше ли он себя чувствует. 2. Мы не ожидали, что он сам сделает работу так хорошо. 3. Мы провели выходные за городом и получили большое удовольствие, собирая грибы (mushrooms). 4. Вы должны взять себя в руки. Посмотрите на себя в зеркало. Побрейтесь, примите холодный душ, разотритесь полотенцем (towel) и поешьте, наконец. 5. Наконец мы очутились в городе и решили немного расслабиться. 6. Не ходи сегодня в школу, если ты плохо себя чувствуешь. 7. Посмотрите, сколько вкусных вещей на столе! Угощайтесь. 8. Может быть, она объяснит все сама. 9. Почему ты прячешься? 10. «Ведите себя как следует!» — строго (strict) сказал учитель.
Fill in the blanks with some, any, no.
1. Unfortunately, they have got___money, 2. She wanted___stamps, but there were not___in the machine. 3. Is there___salt on the table? — No, there isn't. 4. I'd like to buy___new clothes, but I haven't___money, 5. When would you like to come? —___day would suit me. 6. If you had___sense you wouldn't have left your car unlocked. 7. She did not answer all the letters because she had___time. 8. Do you have___small change? — Hardly ___. 9. He returned home without___money. 10. Could you help me? I have ___problems with my research.
Make sentences interrogative and negative.
1. He lives somewhere near here. 2. Something fell on the floor in the kitchen. 3. Somebody from the Department of Education is here. 4. There is something in what he says. 5. They knew something about it. 6. There is someone in the room. 7.1 want to tell you something. 8. Someone is knocking at the door. 9.1 saw this man somewhere. 10. Something has happened to her.
Choose the appropriate pronoun.
1. She was said that (someone/anybody) was waiting for her in the street. 2. He was standing by the window and was looking (nobody/somewhere) on the right. 3.1 don't remember (someone/anyone) else, 4. Have you read (something/anything) by Oscar Wilde? 5. Could you give me (something/anything) to eat? 6. If (someone/anyone) comes, let me know immediately. 7.1 haven't heard from her for a month. I am afraid, (nothing/something) has happened to her. 8. Have you read (something/anything) about this author? — No, I've read (something/nothing). 9. She refused to say (something/anything) because she thought she was being treated unfairly. 10. What's the Batter? Why are you crying? Has (anything/something) happened to your mother? She told me she'd had a heart attack yesterday. 11. Would you like (something/ anything) to drink? Whisky or gin? 12. She is still (nowhere/somewhere) abroad. 13.1 have (anything/ nothing) to add. 14. The sick man was able to get up without (someone's/anyone's) help. 15. (Anybody/ Nobody) could do this work. It's very simple.
Fill in the blanks with some, any, no making the appropriate compounds if necessary.
1. Is there ___here who speaks English? 2, Do you have ___idea where I can borrow ___money here? 3____ tells me you have got bad news for me. 4. He had___ idea what to do next. 5. I am sorry, but the practical experience shows that his work is of__ value. 6. Our professor wanted to make up _____ exercises to teach the pupils how to use a dictionary. 7. I am sorry but there is ___ message for you, 8. Hardly „__ understood what he meant. 9. We didn't think he'd succeed, but he managed ___. 10. I can't find my glasses____. 11. If there is___ message for me, please send it to me. 12Л don't know ___about it. He said ___about it in his last letter. 13. He is Mr. Know-All. He can give you ___information you need, 14. Where can I find ___here who can give me ___advice on this question? 15. I don't like that every evening you go___.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate pronoun.
1. Why are ___of you talking? Hardly ___is listening to me. 2. No, I have ___to add. 3. Has ___asked you about this matter? 4. _.__of them have been there either. 5. You'd better not speak to ___of them, 6. Can ___of you go there? 7. I am sure they kept silence .___of them spoke about this. 8.1 did not know that ___of you had already seen it. 9. Write to us ___interesting, will you? 10. Could ___of you answer such a difficult question?
Translate into English.
A 1. Я не читал никаких книг этого писателя. 2. Если что-нибудь случится, это не моя вина (fault). 3. Вы можете купить этот журнал для меня? Я нигде его не вижу. 4. Кто-нибудь еще пришел? 5. Преступник (criminal) нигде не сможет скрыться (disappear), ничто и никто не поможет ему. 6, Купи что-нибудь поесть, у нас в холодильнике (fridge) ничего нет. 7. Почему ты так рассердился? Никто не знал о его приезде. 8. Этот человек никогда ничего не боится. 9. Я нашел чью-то шапку. 10. Мне кажется, с ней что-то случилось. 11. Любой может купить эти куртки (jacket). Они довольно дешевые. 12, Не молчи (keep silent), скажи что-нибудь.
В 1. Кто-то оставил окно открытым. 2. Мне кто-нибудь звонил? 3. Вы что-нибудь читали об экономике (economy) этой страны? — Почти ничего. 4. Я никому из них не говорил о его предложении (offer). 5. Хотите что-нибудь выпить? 6. Он почти никого не знал в этом городе. 7. Вас кто-нибудь из них приглашал на этот вечер? 8. Ты бы хотел поехать куда-нибудь летом? 9. Кто-то из нас должен пойти дуда. 10. Полицейский показал мне несколько фотографий, но я никого не узнал. 11. Он ничего не сообщил об этом. 12. Если кто-нибудь позвонит, я буду дома в 8 часов. 13. Мы отказались что-либо делать. 14. Он сделал это без какого-либо разрешения. 15. Тебе что-то попало в глаз?
Fill in the blanks with any, every or corresponding compound pronouns.
1. It was a small village where ___could tell you ___about___. 2. He goes there ___day. You can find him at ___time between ten and twelve. 3. She told you___ she could. There is hardly ___to add. 4. With your complexion your can buy a blouse of ___colour. 5. ___ is here. You can ask___. 6. Has ___forgotten to sign his name in the list? 7.___who has lost his credit card must declare about it immediately. 8. There was a dead silence. ___was listening to the speaker. 9. You needn't explain ___ else ___understood ___. 10. ___knows what to do.
Choose the appropriate word out of those given in brackets.
1.___child wants to visit Disneyland. 2. ___ witness was questioned in turn. 3. They ___have a comfortable flat. 4. You can come here __day. 5.___of us would be happy to help you. 6.___patient wants to be healthy. 7. Planes fly to St. Petersburg ___ hour. 8. The performance was a success ___place was taken. 9. This book is divided into 20 units and ___of them has a different title. 10.___passenger must fasten the belt when the plane takes off or lands.
1. There are many good inns in Scotland. While travelling, you may stay in ___of them. 2. I saw two plays in this theatre, but ___of them impressed me. Rita says she saw several plays there, but she liked___ of them. 3. John and Pete did not pass an exam yesterday because ___was ready for it. 4. The Finns' sisters are arriving tomorrow ___of the two girls is very pretty, but ___of them is married yet. 5. There are a few cafes in this district, but ___of them is good. 6. What would you prefer, tea or coffee? —___will do. 7. The woman carried a bag in ___hand. 8. There were four applicants but___ of them impressed me. 9. There is a village on bank of the river 10. Can he speak French or German? —___ he is not good at languages.
Fill in the blanks with the forms is or are.
1. Neither he nor she ___there. 2. Neither they nor she ___there. 3. Neither he nor they ___there. 4. Both Alice and Kate ___in time. 5. Either you or she___ right. 6. Both the old and the young ___having a good time at the party. 7. Either Jack or Jane ___going on business to London. 8. Neither Pete nor his parents___ aware of the coming danger. 9. Neither he nor his relatives ___present at the wedding. 10. Either he or they___ going to do it. 11. Both Mom and Dad ___at home. 12. Neither Nick nor Mary ___in class today. 13. Both ___present, but neither ___helpful.
Choose the correct variant.
1. Please give me ___copy of the magazine.
a) other b) another c) the other d) others
2. I see only five boys here. Where are ___ones?
a) another b) others c) the others d) the other
3. There were seven people on the beach; two of them were bathing, ___were playing volleyball.
a) the others b) another c) others d) other
4.1 can give you only a small dictionary, I have got no
a) the other b) another c) other d) the others
5. Two of their guests left rather early ___stayed till midnight.
a) the other b) another c) the others d) other
6. Well, kid ___fifty yards and you will be at home.
a) another b) other c) the other d) others
7. There have been two oranges on the table. One is here, and where is___?
a) another b) the other c) others d) other
8. I'm going to stay here for ___few days.
a) the other b) others c) the others d) another
9.1 think you should choose ___colour. This one is too dark.
a) other b) another c) the other d) others
10. Why is he so selfish? He never thinks about___.
a) other b) the other c) others d) the others
Choose the right variant.
1. There/It comes a time when you start to remember your youth. 2.1 suppose there/it will snow tomorrow. 3. Look, there/it is snow on the ground. 4. There/It remains nothing to be done. 5. He is right, there/it no doubt about it. 6. Is there/it anything the matter? 7. There/It is windy outside. 8. There/It is a strong wind today, 9. Once upon a time there/it lived a princess. 10. There/It is light in the room. Turn on the light, please. 11. The traffic is heavy in this street. There/It is a lot of noise. 12. There/It is very noisy in this street because there/it is heavy traffic. 13. They are happy, there/it goes without saying. 14. There/ It follows that there/it is no solution to the problem. 15. There/It is a light in the distance.
Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Если кто-нибудь из вас хочет задать вопрос, поднимите (raise) руку. 2. Оба были готовы помочь ей, но ни один не знал, как это сделать. 3. Если ты пройдешь (take) еще несколько глагол, ты увидишь море. 4. Каждая девочка хочет быть красивой. 5. Все были рады видеть ее. 6. По обе стороны реки был лес. 7. Каждый из нас может совершить такую ошибку. 8. У меня две сумки: одна черная, а другая коричневая. 9. Ни Тома, ни его родителей нет дома. 10. Врач осмотрел (examine) каждого пациента по очереди.
Answer the questions. Write the numbers in full.
1. How many minutes are there in two hours? 2. How many kilometers are there in a mile? 3. What is your normal temperature? 4. How much do you weigh? 5. How many cents are there in $2,5? 6. How many days are there in a year? 7. When were you born? 8. What is your telephone number? 9. What is the number of your flat? 10. What is the approximate population of Russia?
Write these numbers in English.
1) 567 11) 3 August
2) 6 1/2 12) 378 356 23 (telephone number)
3) 3,267 13) ~3 Centigrade
4) 8.93 14) (In) 1907
5) 0.34 15) 33
6) 7 1/2 16) 3,000,000,000
7) 2,359,000 17) 7,082
8) 11.06 18) 40-0 (the result in a tennis game)
9) 58% 19) 37%
10) 9 May 20) 4-1 (the result in football match)
Write the answers to these sums and read them aloud.
1) 47 and 34 is___ 2) 33 multiplied by 4 is___ 3) 45 times 4 is___ 4) 314 plus 216 is___
5) 112 minus 45 is___ 6) Add 12 and 4, multiply by 8, then subtract 40 and divide by 11. You have got___. 7) 90 divided by 6 is___ 8) Divide 66 by 11, multiply by 5, add 20,and subtract 18. You have got___.
Correct the mistakes (if any) in these sentences.
1. The radio said that there were more than ten thousands people taking part in the meeting. 2. She bought two dozens eggs. 3. My birthday is on the twenty-one of March. 4. His telephone number is four six seven, five nought, nine two. 5. There are two hundred fifteen pages in this book. 6, Write down the following: zero point six hundred and twelve plus six point nought two. 7. This is twenty-five per cents of the total. 8. The game ended with the score three nought. 9. The temperature is two degrees below oh. 10. He was born in nineteen eighty-first.
Translate into English. Write the numbers in full.
1. Он заплатил за это ожерелье (necklace) пятнадцать с половиной тысяч долларов. 2. Подождите полчаса, пожалуйста. Документы скоро будут готовы. 3. Нам нужно спешить. Самолет улетает через полтора часа. 4. Сколько безработных (unemployed) в этом городе? — На сегодняшний день 2338 человек. Джейн купила три дюжины яиц. 6. Он родился 3 октября 1979 года. 7. На митинге присутствовало три тысячи студентов. 8. Тысячи студентов заканчивают колледжи Оксфорда к Кембриджа ежегодно. 9. Миллионы звезд ярко мерцали (sparkle) на черном южном небе. 10, Если тебе нужно вызвать пожарную команду (fire brigade), звони 01. 11. Его состояние (fortune) составляет три миллиона долларов. 12. Одна четверть равна 25-ти процентам. 13. Этот замок (castle) был построен во времена Генриха V. 14. Один дюйм (inch) равен двум с половиной сантиметрам. 15. Эти дома были построены в девяностые годы девятнадцатого века.
Fill in the blanks with the prepositions of time in, on, at where necessary.
1. I usually finish work early ___Friday. I don't work ___the weekend. 2. Let's meet ___five ___Sunday, July 14. 3.1 am busy ___the moment. Come ___ten minutes' time, please. 4. There was a boat race in Southampton ___Easter Day. A lot of people usually come there ___Easter to see the race. 5. Can you imagine what the world will be ___.the year 2100? 6. When will you have your holiday ___winter or ___summer? — I'll have it late ___August. 7. We started off ___midnight and reached the place of destination ___twelve hours ___noon. 8. I was in France in 1997.___that time I was working as a waiter in a small cafe. 9.___the age of sixteen he left his parents' house. 10.___her wedding day she got up ___dawn. 11. You must come and have tea with us ___next Thursday. Are you free ___Thursday? 12. I received a lot of presents ___ my birthday. 13. Leonardo da Vinci lived and worked __ the Middle Ages. 14.___every day he got up early ___the morning and went to bed late ___night. 15.___ the 19th century many people died of cholera and smallpox.
Use in, on, at, by, until if necessary.
1. Students usually have their exams ___the end of each term. 2. The book was rather simple. I read it___ a day. 3. He switched on the radio and TV ___the same time. 4. It was difficult to persuade her but __the end she agreed to our proposal. 5. He is very punctual, his lectures always begin ___time. 6. She nearly forgot about their meeting, but fortunately she remembered it___ time. 7- They will be working ___ 7 o'clock today. 8. Hurry up! I'm afraid ___the time we get to the station, the train will have already left. 9. Have you finished translating the book? — Not yet. I hope to finish it___ the end of the month. 10.___what time did he come? — He came late ___the evening ___midnight, if I am not mistaken. 11. Boogie-woogie became popular in the United States .___the 1950s. 12. They came back ___sunset, tired and hungry. 13. They went to the canteen ___ lunchtime. 14.___the past he used to be a skilled surgeon. 15. I am sure, he will be well again ___several days.
Fill in with for, since during, while,
1. I've known her ___last October. 2. I have been learning English ___five years. 3. The film was boring and he went to sleep ___the film. 4. He got acquainted with a very beautiful girl ___the holiday. 5. He got acquainted with a very beautiful girl ___he was on holiday. 6. She worked in a café ___her holiday. She worked there ___two months. 7. He has been playing the violin ___eight years. 8.1 often read newspapers __ a meal. 9. It happened ___ they were asleep. 10. You'll have to be quiet ___the performance. 11. Were there any telephone calls ___I was out? 12. Where have you been? I have been waiting for you___ two hours ___ 12 o'clock! I've drunk three cups of coffee ___that time. If I had had a book, I would have read it ___I was waiting for you. 13. There are lots of people in the streets ___the carnival. 14. She has been living in the country ___the beginning of the summer. 15. He hurt his ankle ___he Was playing basketball yesterday.
Fill in the blanks with prepositions of place at, in, on.
1 „ Excuse me, can you tell me where the concert hall is? — Turn___ the right___ the roundabout. It's ___ the corner of the square. 2. We spent our holiday___ the south coast of France. 3. He lives ___ the tenth floor ___ the centre of the city. 4. There was a black spot___ the back of the letter. 5. There were no vacant chairs to sit.___, so he sat____ the armchair __the corner. 6. Do you know that Englishmen drive _____ the left? 7. Look, how many stars there are ___ the sky! 8. I'm going to the concert ___ the Central Concert Hall tomorrow. 9. The delegation was met___ the airport. 10. I don't want to sit ___ the back row, let's sit ___ the front. 11. At first it seemed that there wasn't his name ___ the list, but then he found it___ the bottom of the page. 12. __ my way home I saw Нelen. She was standing____ the bus stop. 13. She did not want anybody to see her, so she sat ___the back of the car. 14. We were____ the restaurant yesterday. There were a lot of delicious things___ the menu. 15. Where did you meet? — We met__„the party ___ the Greens'.
Choose the right variant.
1. There are too many people (on/in/by) the bus. I want to go (on/in/by) a taxi. 2. Did you go there (on/in/ by) foot or (on/in/by) car? — I went (on/in/by) Peter's bicycle. 3. It is too hot to be (on/in/by) the sun at noon. We have been sitting (on/in/by) the beach for three hours. Let's sit (on/in/by) the shade. 4. We travelled (on/in/by) 9.45 plane. There was a good lunch (on/in/by) the plane. 5. She didn't want to go (on/in/by) underground, so they came (on/in/by) a taxi. 6. Have you ever ridden (on/in/ by) the elephant? 7. Don't stay (on/in/by) the rain! Come in! 8. The children were afraid to sit (on/in/by) the dark. They came into the dining room and sat (on/in/by) their mother. 9. The rule is written (on/in/by) page twelve. 10. Where shall we hang the picture? — (On/In/By) the window. 11. I was too tired to talk to somebody (on/in/ by) the train. 12. It was an awful trip. My friend lent me his car, but after we'd been (on/in/by) the car for a few hours, it broke down. We started to go back (on/in/by) foot, but a van-driver stopped and took us (on/in/by) his van. We came back home at dawn.
Fill in the blanks with in, into, to, at, on, out of, from, off where necessary.
1. He took the wallet ___ of his pocket, opened it and put the cheque ___ it. 2. He took his suitcase___ the rack and got ___ the train. 3. She got ___ the car and went ___the club. 4. The president arrived ___the airport___ ten minutes' time before the flight. He quickly got ___the plane and some minutes later the plane took____. 5. Get ___the bus. It will take you ___the Green Park. 6. I haven't heard ___him for ages. He went ___Canada two years ago, but I don't know if he is ___Canada now or somewhere else.7. When he came ___home, he took ___his coat, hang it ___the hook and sat ___the armchair. 8. A lot of tourists ___ different counties arrive ___Moscow every year. 9. He's never been ___any foreign country. 10. Go ___the mirror and have a look ___yourself. 11. Welcome___ Egypt! A flight ___this wonderful country will take you about four hours. 12. A sparrow flew ___the room through a window. 13. What time does this train get ___Scotland? — It arrives ___Glasgow at 10.25 p.m. 14. When you leave the building, turn ___the left___ the High Street. 15. Take the hat ___the boy. Don't you see what he is doing with it?
Fill in the blanks with:
A down, up, under, below, over, above
1. Why are you so late? — Our car stuck ___the bridge. 2. You are cold. Put this plaid ___your knees. 3. It seems to me that she is ___twenty-one. 4. There is nothing new ___the sun. 5. The branch hit me just___ the elbow. 6. Climb ___at once! You may fall! 7. My house is ___the street, on the hill, and my brother lives ___the street, by the river. 8. We are on the second floor in the dining room now ___it there used to be a bedroom of the countess and ___it you can see the famous orangery which has been carefully kept for two centuries already.
В before, in front of, behind, at the back, opposite
1. She likes to stand ___the mirror looking at herself. 2. I like this cottage very much. There is a lawn ___the house and ___there is a garden. 3. You should return ___sunset. 4. You've come the last. You are ___me in the queue. 5. At lunch she was sitting ___me, so I couldn't help looking at her. 6. If you don't want to go here, you may use another exit___. 7.1 want to take your photograph ___our new jeep. 8. You'll find the church easily. There is a cinema ___it on the other side of the road.
С along, through, across, past
1. Our cottage is rather far. You should drive ___the church ___a small wood, then ___the river (there is a wooden bridge) and finally ___the wide road. Our house is by this road. 2. Paul is a good swimmer. He can swim ___the river. 3. She went ___me without saying a word. 4. The burglar got into the house ___an open window. 5. He ran ___the lawn and came up to the French window. 6. They went ___the bank of the river talking loudly. 7. Oil flows ___a pipeline. 8. When she was going ___ the jewellery shop, her attention was attracted by a necklace in the shop window.
D among, between
1. Differences in pronunciation ___British English and American English are numerous. 2. For her there is not much choice ___Paul and Nick. 3. She could see him ___people in the crowd. 4. You may divide this money ___you both. 5. There is an oak tree ___birches and pines near my house. 6. Tom is the smartest ___the other students. 7. There has always been a tough competition ___ Coca-Cola and Pepsi. 8. Harvard University comes first ___the other universities of the USA. 9. ___you and me she is a wicked old gossip.
E like, as
1. Is he a millionaire? He spends money ___a sheikh. 2. People ___the Pitts always fail us. 3.___an economist, I can't agree to it. 4. He broke my knife, he used it ___a tin opener. 5. She is more ___her father than her mother. 6.1 had waited so long for it, it was ___a dream. 7. I used to work ___a cabin boy. 8. What has happened to John? He is playing ___a beginner. 9.___the weather is bad (it looks ___ rain), let's stay at home. 10.___a newcomer, he couldn't take part in the debate.
Choose the right variant.
1. He is a wicked boy. I'm sure he did it (by/on) purpose. 2. She shouted (at/to) me that I was wanted (on/to) the phone. 3. Take a pen. You can't sign contracts (by/in) pencil. 4. The voyage was tiring. The sea was rough and we had to be (in/at) sea more than a fortnight. 5. He lives (at/on) a farm somewhere in Texas. 6. Put your signature (on/at) the bottom of the page. Don't write (at/in) the middle, put it (at/on) the right. 7. She made this sweater herself (at/by) hand. 8. He threw an egg (to/at) the speaker. It hit him (on/to) the shoulder. 9. The car that was going (with/at) the speed of 70 miles per hour braked (on/at) the traffic lights. 10. The participants of Greenpeace rally were standing (by/in) a line (in front of/before) the house of the mayor. 11. He was (on/at) work (before/until) 3 o'clock yesterday. 12. He was sent (in/to) prison for shoplifting (at/by) the age of seventeen. 13. (In/On) the whole, I liked our journey. But next year I'd like to go (to/on) a cruise. 14. She is not (by/on) the phone in the country. — Why won't she buy a mobile telephone? It is so convenient. — Her salary's decreased (on/by) two hundred dollars this year and she can't afford it. 15. (From/In) my opinion, she must go (to/on) a diet.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate pre-positions where necessary.
1.1 got lost ___Mike's house! I went ___my bedroom, went ___some stairs, walked ___a corridor, came ___the lounge, walked ___an arch, went ___some stairs and ___the end I found myself ___my bedroom again. 2. Do you know that Alice is ___love ___ Pete? 3. While you dress ___dinner, I'll go ___the shop ___the road. I'll be _______time. 4. The news ___the accident came ___a great shock ___ him. 5. Let's look at my school photo. Can you recognize me ___it? — I think you are ___left corner. — No, you are mistaken. I am ___the back___ the last row. 6.___the Middle Ages London was rather a big city. In the 16th century (___ the time of Shakespeare) it became a prosperous capital. 7. Sit___ the armchair and write your name ___block letters___ the top of the page. Write all dates ___words, not___ figures. 8. Sicily is an island ___the coast ___Italy. 9. I am afraid, I won't be able to find the theatre. — Oh, our town is rather small and you'll find it easily. Go ___bus till Victoria Station. Turn right ___the square ___the theatre there are two palms, and ___the theatre there is a swimming pool ___the theatre there is a coffee bar. 10. The typist sits ___the chair, with a lamp ___her. 11. You didn't do it ___mistake! You did it ___purpose! 12. After the accident I had to go ___hospital ___a while. I was ___hospital ___four days, and then spent another week ___bed ___home. 13.___the end of the day, most of my colleagues go straight ___home, but I prefer to stroll ___the streets ___the centre. 14. I quite agree ___you that going ___air is the quickest and safest means of transport, but I am always airsick___ the plane. 15. Do you remember the robber? — Well, he was a man ______thirty-five, ___thin hair, ___dark jeans. He looked __an Italian, and used his magazine ___a sort of mask.
Translate into English.
1. Он вынул часы из кармана и положил их на стол. 2. Этот поезд останавливается на каждой станции. 3. Во время каникул я побывал в Риме. 4. Он перепрыгнул через забор (fence), прошел через лужайку (lawn) и открыл дверь своим ключом. 5. Так как большинство домов в Лондоне в XVII веке было построено из дерева, они все сгорели во время пожара, который длился три дня. 6. Вор (thief) проник в дом через окно, вынул драгоценности (jewelry) из сейфа, сорвал картину со стены, а затем вышел через дверь. 7.Я люблю путешествовать на велосипеде. В прошлом году я объехал всю Грецию на моем старом велосипеде. 8. Я случайно вскрыла ваше письмо. 9. Ирландское море находится между Ирландией и Великобританией. 10. Он приедет домой на рождественские праздники. В Рождество все дети приезжают к родителям.
1. Богуславская Г. П. и др. Практическая грамматика английского языка. II
курс. Мн.: Высш. шк., 2007.
2. Каушанская В. Л. и др. Сборник упражнений по грамматике английского
языка. Л.: Просвящение, 2009.
3. Collins Cobuild. English Grammar Exercises. – Harper Collins Publishers Ltd.,
4. Collins Cobuild. Student’s Grammar.- Harper Collins Publishers Ltd., 1991.
5. Firman S., Bosewitz ‘Penguin Students’ Grammar of English Exercises» Penguin English, 2008.
6. Hewings M. ‘Advanced grammar in Use’. – Cambridge University Press, 1999.
7. Murphy R. English Grammar in Use. A self-study reference and practice book
for intermediate students. – Cambridge University Press, 2008.
8. Schrampfer Azar B. ‘Understanding and Using English Grammar’. – Prentice
Hall regents, 2006.
9. Simkhovich V. A. English Grammar in Communication. – М.: НКФ «Экаперспектива», 2005.
10. Swan M., Walter C. How English Works. A grammar Practice Book. – Oxford
University Press, 2007.
11. Thomson A. S., Martinet A. V. A Practical English Grammar. – Oxford
University Press, 2005.